Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,

I recently just installed a comp cam 270 (mds delete), push rods and springs, shortie headers, super 44 exhaust, CAI, 87mm throttle body, 3200 stall converter and did a tune at a local shop. Tuner said the RWHP is 400+ but feels more like 300.

After all these mods my RT feels super slow (runs good, but no lop). It doesn't break traction and I have a slow 0-60 of 6.1 seconds.

Shouldn't the car be faster after this installation or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Where's your tq #'s sitting at?

·
6,000 Posts
Something's not right. What is your rear axle ratio? Even if they are the 2.60's, I would think you would annihilate the tires with a 3200 stall converter.

When you floor it from a dead stop, where do the rpm's jump to?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something's not right. What is your rear axle ratio? Even if they are the 2.60's, I would think you would annihilate the tires with a 3200 stall converter.

Rear axle is 2.62. If I floor it from dead stop it will jump to roughly 3,500k but will not break loose. I'll verity WOT RPMs from stop when I make it back home.

Only way the car will do a minor spin, is if I break boost to 2,500 - 3k RPM from stop and go. It only loses traction for a couple feet tho. Honestly the car feels less then stock. Couple of important things to note - Yes I turn off traction control and the tires aren't anything special; just all season tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

From a dead stop, when I floor it rpm's jump to 2,500 - 2,600 with just a small wheel chirp.

·
Registered
275 Posts
IMO..270 is too much cam for a 5.7 but still should perform better than you describe. 3.90 LSD should take care of your loss of bottom end. with that cam you should have a higher shift point now. what RPM are you spinning it to ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
IMO..270 is too much cam for a 5.7 but still should perform better than you describe. 3.90 LSD should take care of your loss of bottom end. with that cam you should have a higher shift point now. what RPM are you spinning it to ?
I'm going to eventually run a whipple Charger - 3.90 LSD might spin too much no?

6,000 rpm is my current shift point. It seems to pull hard on the top (still does a slow 0 - 60), but down low its a dog. I had the victor II and removed it because I was reading its not good for low end torque. I'm going to run it back to the tuner tomorrow to adjust for the stock ported/polished intake manifold and see if that helps. If not I'm gonna find another tuner.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm going to eventually run a whipple Charger - 3.90 LSD might spin too much no?

6,000 rpm is my current shift point. It seems to pull hard on the top (still does a slow 0 - 60), but down low its a dog. I had the victor II and removed it because I was reading its not good for low end torque. I'm going to run it back to the tuner tomorrow to adjust for the stock ported/polished intake manifold and see if that helps. If not I'm gonna find another tuner.
3.90 and a Whipple would not be a good combo. but, a 3.09 LSD would help a lot now and would not be too much should you put a Whipple on. I have an 18 R/T with a 3.09 and an Edelbrock 2650 that goes on the dyno today. I drove it about 1 month on the Edelbrock canned tune and the low end was really good but not 'too' much. I know it does not help you now but the 270 is really a poor choice for a 5.7 and you are finding out why that is now. since your tuner did not steer you away from the 270 ,maybe it's time to go else where.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3.90 and a Whipple would not be a good combo. but, a 3.09 LSD would help a lot now and would not be too much should you put a Whipple on. I have an 18 R/T with a 3.09 and an Edelbrock 2650 that goes on the dyno today. I drove it about 1 month on the Edelbrock canned tune and the low end was really good but not 'too' much. I know it does not help you now but the 270 is really a poor choice for a 5.7 and you are finding out why that is now. since your tuner did not steer you away from the 270 ,maybe it's time to go else where.
Sounds good. I'm gonna look into finding a 3.09. I'll keep you'll posted.

Good luck on the dyno! Keep us posted! 625RWHP! Boom!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Will that one mate up to my 2015 RT? Looks like its for a Challenger. Fitment says it won't work on my car.
Yes it will fit . it is a direct bolt in . you only need to buy the differential..nothing else..all the 230 mm ZF diffs are the same . the 3.09 that I have in my 18 Charger R/T came out of my brothers 15 SRT Challenger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it will fit . it is a direct bolt in . you only need to buy the differential..nothing else..all the 230 mm ZF diffs are the same . the 3.09 that I have in my 18 Charger R/T came out of my brothers 15 SRT Challenger.
So close. I almost bought the 3.09. I picked up a MPVI2 instead. Gonna do a custom tune for my car first. Found out that my transmission wasn't tuned and probably not the best engine tune in it.

Who installs a 3,200 stall converter and doesn't tune the transmission to make the best out of it? Going with a engine/trans tune from one of the best hemi tuners in the business.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jay Greene hooked me up with my tune today... Let me just start by saying holly smokes!! that tune woke her up big time. Shes digs so hard I've gotta play with the peddle or she'll light them up. I ran against a 2018/2019 Camaro SS today and yes he got me but not by much and my car actually started to closing distance.

Transmission tune tomorrow, 2.5" cat back pipes this weekend and 3.09 gears and ported heads in a few weeks...

Thank you for the advice MXS I truly appreciate it.

Rj

1 - 16 of 16 Posts