Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first time posting. I have a 2006 RT that I bought about a year ago. It had, and still does, a lot of issues. About two months after I bought it, the upper radiator hose blew, and when I replaced it I found evidence of stop-leak. Shortly after that the car started to develop serious overheat issues. It got extremely hot twice to where steam was billowing out from under the hood. I know these motors are famous for dropping valve seats if you overheat them, but not sure if that's a sudden death type thing or if it takes time. Anyway, I got the overheat problem fixed (replaced virtually everything coolant system related) and thought I was good but now I think my motor is dying with this extremely loud rattle (sounds like bad valve clatter) and it is now developing a miss that's pretty noticeable. I'm going to pull all plugs and see if I find any clues, but other than that I'm lost. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Spark plugs don't cause clattering.
I wouldn't continue driving it until you find the real problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. Yeah I know the plugs aren't the cause, I was going to pull them to see if any show fouling or damage that might clue me in on something. 2 and 8 were oil fouled when I bought it, and if they are again, couldn't that be the cause of the miss, that might cause valve clatter if they aren't firing right? I don't know... all I could think of so far ☹

·
Registered
156 Posts
Valve clatter could be a timing issue.
Best to hook up a scanner and pull any codes.
Did you also flush the engine to remove any residual Stop Leak?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No codes.. that's the bummer part lol.. and yeah, I flushed it twice. Once when I replaced hoses and tstat and again when I did the radiator. Other than a short-lived tick on starting when it's cold out, the engine doesn't make noise except for the rattle when I get on it. Could it have a timing issue caused by something that doesn't cause tell-tale noise? Or... do these motors have hydraulic lifters? Could the excessive overheating have caused a couple to go sticky? Maybe that's the cold start tick.. wish the pcm would tell me something

·
Registered
98 Posts
After reading your plugs for any specific cylinder signs of trouble, I would most definitely do a compression test while you have the plugs out. There is a possibility that in the multiple overheating events, you may have warped a cylinder head and have a blown head gasket. The "clattering" you are hearing could be the result of a blown head gasket. You may also want to pressure test your cooling system for any leaks, which could also indicate a blown gasket or other issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No codes.. that's the bummer part lol.. and yeah, I flushed it twice. Once when I replaced hoses and tstat and again when I did the radiator. Other than a short-lived tick on starting when it's cold out, the engine doesn't make noise except for the rattle when I get on it. Could it have a timing issue caused by something that doesn't cause tell-tale noise? Or... do these motors have hydraulic lifters? Could the excessive overheating have caused a couple to go sticky? Maybe that's the cold start tick.. wish the pcm would tell me something

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After reading your plugs for any specific cylinder signs of trouble, I would most definitely do a compression test while you have the plugs out. There is a possibility that in the multiple overheating events, you may have warped a cylinder head and have a blown head gasket. The "clattering" you are hearing could be the result of a blown head gasket. You may also want to pressure test your cooling system for any leaks, which could also indicate a blown gasket or other issue.
I pressure tested it back when I replaced the radiator, but that was before the rattle started. Could be the gasket... I did have more than normal oil/coolant loss recently that suddenly quit.. never did have any sign of leak though, and no cross contamination.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I pressure tested it back when I replaced the radiator, but that was before the rattle started. Could be the gasket... I did have more than normal oil/coolant loss recently that suddenly quit.. never did have any sign of leak though, and no cross contamination.
Well, your 1st post where you stated that you found evidence of a previous owner using Stop Leak is kind of telling. They must have used it to try to mitigate either a physical outward leak, or... if there was an internal leak, like one associated with a blown gasket, they may have tried to slow/stop it just long enough to sell the car. Do the compression test, and pay special attention to any cylinders where the plugs don't look normal. You may be getting oil and/or coolant leaking into the cylinder causing detonation and fouling of plugs, but it may not be cross contaminating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, that's true.. the heads had been replaced, or at least removed and put back on. Gaskets were visibly new.. none of that means anything though as they may have been wrongly installed or like you said they may have been doing enough just enough to get the car sold. If it hadn't had a clear title I never would have bought the thing, but that's a story for another time lol.. thanks for all the replies and advice. Between kids and work it may take me some time to check all this out, but as soon as I get it done I will post results. Thanks guys 🙂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts