Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I know, many of the folks out there are looking for the opposite, but I am really concerned with the exhaust loudness of a Scat Pack. I am about to pull a trigger to buy a new Scat Pack, but the challenge for me is that I am spending 2-3 hours in the car daily, and all these hours I am on constant conf calls with colleagues and clients due to the nature of my work. The background noise and rumbling are making this beauty a no go for me.

Do you know any ways to make it really quiet? If performance suffers just a little bit, it is fine. I love the car and would be grateful if you could advise how to make it work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I totally agree w/sc.charger!! Not to be an ass or anything, but why would one look at a car like a Scat Pack and worry about the stock exhaust note?? You buy a car like these for performance and sheer enjoyment...to do roasty burnouts and laugh heartily whenever you step on the gas or go WOT...if you're worried about what your neighbors might think, go check out a V6 base level Mustang..or a Tesla....

...just sayin....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments, but if I wanted V6, I would buy something else with better interior and performance. Even my ex-Passat V6 SEL Premium is better in that regard (0-60 for 5.6s, leather seats, Led optics, super quiet, fast transmission, etc).
Charger makes sence for me only with V8. Please don't suggest me considering a different trim or changing the job. If making the exhaust quieter is not possible, I'll defenitely have to think about a different brand. However, I still hope there is a solution, given the availability of a huge number of aftermarket exhaust systems.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks for the comments, but if I wanted V6, I would buy something else with better interior and performance. Even my ex-Passat V6 SEL Premium is better in that regard (0-60 for 5.6s, leather seats, Led optics, super quiet, fast transmission, etc).
Charger makes sence for me only with V8. Please don't suggest me considering a different trim or changing the job. If making the exhaust quieter is not possible, I'll defenitely have to think about a different brand. However, I still hope there is a solution, given a huge number of aftermarket exhaust systems.
Like I said, wasn't intentionally being a dick, but you are definitely going against the grain on this one, as even the manufacture (Dodge/Mopar, FCA) has designed the V8 Chargers to sound like a muscle car should, but many (including me) have modified their exhaust as we feel that it didn't quite give that muscle car presence that it should've from factory!

To answer your question, there are ways...and my advise would be to take the car to an exhaust/performance shop and have them give you advise on what the best route would be. If your targeting for quieter, restricting the exhaust gases from the engine by either running smaller diameter piping, or putting in place more baffles....

Like I said, looking at V8 Chargers, your going to naturally run into not-so-quite cars...that's just the way it is! If no option is feasible for you, see my above comment....

·
Registered
948 Posts
Most aftermarket exhausts designed for a Charger are going to be ones that increase flow and sound level.
There are V8 sedans out there that are quiet from the factory so we know it is possible to have a quiet V8.

I am assuming you are looking at the Scat Pack because of the looks or the 485hp.
You can get the looks and 370hp in an R/T.
I don't believe anyone here is going to be able to recommend a specific exhaust change to make a scat pack quieter.
The best thing to do is to call the tech support line from companies like flowmaster, borla, etc and tell them you want a quieter exhaust for your 19 scat pack without losing power. They should be able to recommend a new muffler, etc to swap in place of one of the factory units

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! That's very useful, I'll try to reach out to them.
Btw, as for the "quiet V8", it is exactly my way of thinking, e.g. looking at how quiet and powerful Jaguar XJ V8 5L supercharged or Mercedes S-Classes are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
sc.charger's advice is probably the best and most succinct.

With that said, as I'm thinking about it, you'd probably want to add additional sound-absorbing straight-through mufflers to areas of the exhaust that are just straight pipe now. The stock mufflers on the SP are more-or-less straight through "glass-pack" type mufflers, and they are quite minimal.

You'd probably need to replace them with longer glass packs to maintain flow while absorbing more sound. There's another post on this board talking about Vibrant ultra-quiet bullets that might be a good replacement for the stock SP mufflers.

Also keep in mind that the active exhaust valves and Multiple-Displacement System (MDS) in stock trim keep the car very quiet in the cabin at cruising speed, so unless you're mashing the gas you won't really hear it at any level that's disruptive.

You might also consider adding sound deadening to the interior, but I think it's already very well insulated and quiet when cruising, so that's probably overkill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
APC folks replied "Unfortunately, we do have anything we can offer you to make it quieter."
At least, it is honest :D
If find something, will post it here.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
That's what I was afraid of you running into...

Try actual performance/muffler shops..as they will have a solution to your conundrum...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
APC folks replied "Unfortunately, we do have anything we can offer you to make it quieter."
At least, it is honest :D
If find something, will post it here.
The exhaust note will not be that obtrusive as to disturb your calls. The Charger especially has noise reducing materials throughout and is designed to be a luxury sedan. It has acoustic windshield and side glass and is very quiet even with a free flowing exhaust. I have no trouble listening to my radio or talking to my passenger(s) in my Hellcat Charger at normal tones. I think you’ ll be fine with the Scat Pack and quickly appreciate the sounds!

·
Registered
948 Posts

this is from Flowmaster. So it looks like there may not be any aftermarket mufflers that are quieter than factory exhaust.

Maybe you can piece together a regular R/T exhaust? Might need to be before they put the active exhaust valve on the R/Ts if that is the same as the SP

·
Registered
8 Posts
My suggestion is to test drive the Scat Pack, Hook up your cellphone to it and make a phone call to someone you have standing by off site. Have a conversation with them while driving around streets you would normally be on. If you're mostly on the Highway jump on the highway set the cruise control and talk. My car isn't loud unless I want it to be loud. Cruising even at 80-90mph is relatively quiet as even at 90mph the car cruises at around 2500rpm. These cars were designed to be muscle cars, unlike the Mercedes and Jag you mentioned that were designed as luxury cruisers. You wouldn't expect an AMG Merc to be quiet or an F-type -R Jag to be quiet its just not what they are aiming for. My 2c anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi friends,

I know, many of the folks out there are looking for the opposite, but I am really concerned with the exhaust loudness of a Scat Pack. I am about to pull a trigger to buy a new Scat Pack, but the challenge for me is that I am spending 2-3 hours in the car daily, and all these hours I am on constant conf calls with colleagues and clients due to the nature of my work. The background noise and rumbling are making this beauty a no go for me.

Do you know any ways to make it really quiet? If performance suffers just a little bit, it is fine. I love the car and would be grateful if you could advise how to make it work.

Thanks!
FLOWMASTER PRO SERIES MUFFLER
Pro Series Muffler - 3.00 Center In / 3.00 Center Out - Moderate Sound
PART# 13016100 needs to be welded in. I used this on my 2016 Hellcat.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yes, these cars are quiet, unless you hit it. If you stand behind it when it's started, yes, it does seem loud until those valves close.

·
Registered
16 Posts
With my 2017 6.4 Charger Daytona I get a resonant, low frequency drone when the engine goes into 4 cylinder activation mode. I would like to reduce that for it is always during highway cruising when it is at it's worst. Has anyone tried something like Dynamat to line the lower trunk area?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts