Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at getting a police car and the one I want has awd! I was wondering could you swap in a manual trans from a challenger with all the computers, basically making a charger think it’s a challenger, and it work.

I saw on another forum where someone did this and didn’t do any computer work, so the car never revved over 4K because the car couldn’t tell if it was in drive.

I believe it to be a long shot to keep it awd after I swap it. So I’m fully prepared to make it rwd! Also, would I need to change trans mounting location or can I use something from another fca vehicle? I’m not afraid to fab up a cross member I’m just not good at welding and have a flux core welder, of all things! I saw summit racing had a manual swap kit, but it was for the 14 and younger generation. And it’s was $4k and doesn’t address the fact my (future) car wouldn’t be able to tell if it’s in drive.
P.S. if this is impossible for a backyard mechanic and requires me to reprogram anything big, I’m going to save myself the hassle and not get the car!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Very doubtful if the manual trans will work but it will seem very sluggish unless you can change the gear ratios. I think the AWD has a 2.62 front and rear gear ratio. The manual trans has a higher first gear (slower acceleration) than the automatic trans. What trans comes in a 2015 police AWD? Is it a 5 speed or A8? The A8 is an awesome trans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts