Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if this is in the wrong spot, I apologize & move as needed.

I looked around a bit & didn't find my problem, so here it is:

I have a 2014 rwd Charger r/t w/ the 8.4 Beats system.

I started to use the memory card slot a few months ago & no issues up until about a week ago.
I am using a ScanDisk Ultra Plus 32gb micro SD HC I card formatted to Fat32 w/ a ScanDisk adapter.

As I loaded music on to the card (ripped from cd's into a mp3 format using Windows Media Player), I would see the song count go higher in the car until it hit 697 songs. While in the car, it only shows the 1st 697 songs that I loaded onto it. But in the laptop, the card shows over 750 songs all in mp3 format. But in the car, they don't exist (songs, artists, folders, nothing).

card still has 24.5gb of free space, so that's not an issue.

Is there a limit of how many songs the car can read?
Did I do something wrong?
How can I fix it?
I read somewhere where someone said that they had a 1000 songs on their card, but didn't show a pic of the radio screen showing that #.

Again, the card works perfectly fine, I just can't get a higher song count or the newer added songs to show up in the car.

Any assistance is appreciated

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is a folder limit as well. I can't remember what the hard limit is off the top of my head, but if you have your folder structure like I did, you may be running into that limit. I have everything in artist/album/song structure and I hit the limit hard. What I ended up having to do was just leave all my songs in one folder and file name them in this way : Artist - Album - Disc # (if it has more than one) - Track # - Title so that they stay grouped properly. The system itself will sort them just fine that way. The file and folder limits on our systems suck. I found that out first thing when I tried to put my 12,000 mp3 collection on when I got it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a folder limit as well. I can't remember what the hard limit is off the top of my head, but if you have your folder structure like I did, you may be running into that limit. I have everything in artist/album/song structure and I hit the limit hard. What I ended up having to do was just leave all my songs in one folder and file name them in this way : Artist - Album - Disc # (if it has more than one) - Track # - Title so that they stay grouped properly. The system itself will sort them just fine that way. The file and folder limits on our systems suck. I found that out first thing when I tried to put my 12,000 mp3 collection on when I got it.

yes, mine are set up in folders as: artist/album/song/disc (if more than one).
sounds very time consuming to rename each individual song.
I currently have: 117 artists folders

·
Registered
104 Posts
It doesn't seem like you would be hitting the folder limit then. Have you made sure all your files are mp3 proper? I've had a few instances where I discovered some of my files were m4a and others. And there's a program I use called mp3 tag & rename. It has automated tools to rename files. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't seem like you would be hitting the folder limit then. Have you made sure all your files are mp3 proper? I've had a few instances where I discovered some of my files were m4a and others. And there's a program I use called mp3 tag & rename. It has automated tools to rename files. Highly recommended.

i'm not great w/ computers, but I can get by. I'm a hands on learning type of person.
I def don't get into programs & files much, I mostly do research.

So if I have 117 Artists folders & if I only have 1 album per artist, then I have a minimum of 234 folders off the back, correct?

I did verify that they are all mp3 format.
I use Windows Media Player to rip the songs from the cd's & I verified that it's set to mp3.

So I made a new folder, then copied all of the songs into the new folder (each song was already tagged w/ artist/album/track # & disc# if more than 1), so I didn't have to worry about renaming them. I deleted all of the other folders, but left them in the trash in case I screwed up. I have 791 songs in that 1 folder now.

I went to add the new folder to the memory card before deleting the song folder that was on it & it says that the card is copywrite protected. nor will it let me delete the main song/artist or album folder.

I'm thinking that I need to reformat the card, then add the new song folder. Does that sound correct?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah it sounds like you aren't too full on folders so I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with how WMP rips CD's as I've always used a free program called CDex. Never had any issues with those rips. Might want to look into it. If you look on the side of your micro to sd adapter, there should be a small tab that may be set to "lock". That write protects the card. Check that and see what it's set to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it sounds like you aren't too full on folders so I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with how WMP rips CD's as I've always used a free program called CDex. Never had any issues with those rips. Might want to look into it. If you look on the side of your micro to sd adapter, there should be a small tab that may be set to "lock". That write protects the card. Check that and see what it's set to.

I'll check it out, I only used WMP because it was preinstalled on my last several laptops.

I reformatted my card & it now works, shows 788 songs on the car screen.

Thanks for the help Spikemonkey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts