Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to start off by complimenting the forum. Lots of great information that I will be using in the future in my adventures lol..

Was going to do the 4.3 to 8.4 upgrade, however, it seems for what I want the car to do, it would be cheaper for me to go the "Metra" way.

I've got a 2011 charger, base model. How difficult is it to install the "adapter"? I've searched for information on the install however it doesn't look like many (if any) have done it. My goal is to get bluetooth and hook up my amp properly instead of the LOC. The Metra conversion is cheaper than doing the 8.4 as I still lack the RCA's I need to run to my amp.

4.3 to 8.4 Conversion MINIMUM $500,

I can get the Metra 99-6514B kit for $450, I have a radio already I can use in it.

Looking for input on which route is better. Sound, Cosmetic, overall.

Thanks, I appreciate all comments!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do not know if you jumped on this yet ( older post now ), but i had some to no luck with that kit using an aftermarket radio. It seemed to work, but my car dash would change to some off language from time to time when entering or leaving car. It would also sometimes cause the evic screeen to go solid white, from time to time.
After many calls and tech help with metra, well no resolution besides, well sir we duplicated the problem, but at this time no fix cause we don't know why its doing it.
So ..... I went with the 8.4 upgrade, and just tapped in a RCA kit to run back to my amp via RCA cables. Everything is working well, and still is from about a year ago. Spent 650 ish on metra and 7" radio setup, returned it all, and spent 800 for 8.4 kit/ dash bezel, cables and RCA cable kit. You may get out cheaper then i did at that time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not know if you jumped on this yet ( older post now ), but i had some to no luck with that kit using an aftermarket radio. It seemed to work, but my car dash would change to some off language from time to time when entering or leaving car. It would also sometimes cause the evic screeen to go solid white, from time to time.
After many calls and tech help with metra, well no resolution besides, well sir we duplicated the problem, but at this time no fix cause we don't know why its doing it.
So ..... I went with the 8.4 upgrade, and just tapped in a RCA kit to run back to my amp via RCA cables. Everything is working well, and still is from about a year ago. Spent 650 ish on metra and 7" radio setup, returned it all, and spent 800 for 8.4 kit/ dash bezel, cables and RCA cable kit. You may get out cheaper then i did at that time.
Wow I thought this post was dead! Thank you for the response and input!! I was really thinking about just doing the 8.4 upgrade instead of the metra way but I wanted a way to integrate Bluetooth cheapishly and easily. Any recommendations on that aspect?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow I thought this post was dead! Thank you for the response and input!! I was really thinking about just doing the 8.4 upgrade instead of the metra way but I wanted a way to integrate Bluetooth cheapishly and easily. Any recommendations on that aspect?
Yeah , now i do not know if it will work for the 2011 models , but i know theres post ( i would have to find them in here) on buying the mirror and bluetooth box / buttons to add it to the 8.4 system. I have not added it yet, so for now i am just using a $20.00 cig lighter bluetooth adapter to use for my phone, instead of the cable (aux) untill i buy the parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah , now i do not know if it will work for the 2011 models , but i know theres post ( i would have to find them in here) on buying the mirror and bluetooth box / buttons to add it to the 8.4 system. I have not added it yet, so for now i am just using a $20.00 cig lighter bluetooth adapter to use for my phone, instead of the cable (aux) untill i buy the parts.
Yeah. All those parts I priced out are roughly 600 bucks and gotta wire the mirror to the reciever. Not sure if it's worth putting the 1200 upgrade into the car

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah. All those parts I priced out are roughly 600 bucks and gotta wire the mirror to the reciever. Not sure if it's worth putting the 1200 upgrade into the car
yeah , that is why for now i stopped where i am. Figured i might add bluetooth later on. That was if i could find a good deal from junk yard on the bluetooth stuff later, and just went with adapter for now for $20, since i was already 800 into it, at that time/price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah , that is why for now i stopped where i am. Figured i might add bluetooth later on. That was if i could find a good deal from junk yard on the bluetooth stuff later, and just went with adapter for now for $20, since i was already 800 into it, at that time/price.
It's definitely an expensive upgrade. How do you like the 8.4 screen? Is that alone worth the upgrade?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I like it better then the 4.3, plus now i have nav and sat radio with the RB5 8.4 radio i put in. Yes i do use google maps, but sometimes for local, or long travel i have just used the nav on the radio. Plus the larger screen and with tazer to use some of the SRT settings are nice. So yeah all in all for me, i think it was a good upgrade for me. Guess it depends on what your really looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like it better then the 4.3, plus now i have nav and sat radio with the RB5 8.4 radio i put in. Yes i do use google maps, but sometimes for local, or long travel i have just used the nav on the radio. Plus the larger screen and with tazer to use some of the SRT settings are nice. So yeah all in all for me, i think it was a good upgrade for me. Guess it depends on what your really looking for.
Do you have the Hemi in yours?

·
Registered
166 Posts
no , i got the 3.6 V6 , SE trim, needed good gas mileage at the time of buying a newer car, from my ram 1500 that only got at best 14 MPG. Now i average 29 to 32, if i drive it nice , witch does not happen daily, lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no , i got the 3.6 V6 , SE trim, needed good gas mileage at the time of buying a newer car, from my ram 1500 that only got at best 14 MPG. Now i average 29 to 32, if i drive it nice , witch does not happen daily, lol.
Haha I know that feeling. Same reason I bought mine. How's your nav work? Any issues? Maps easily updated?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Haha I know that feeling. Same reason I bought mine. How's your nav work? Any issues? Maps easily updated?
nav works good, no issues, maps update fairly easy, you have to either pay for older maps (ripoff from garmin) or use a garmin nuvi model with lifetime maps and steal the files from it. Thats what i did, bought a used one with lifetime maps then update that way, instead of paying 150 dollars for older maps from garmin thru dodge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nav works good, no issues, maps update fairly easy, you have to either pay for older maps (ripoff from garmin) or use a garmin nuvi model with lifetime maps and steal the files from it. Thats what i did, bought a used one with lifetime maps then update that way, instead of paying 150 dollars for older maps from garmin thru dodge.
How would you go about finding one with lifetime maps? Would it matter if I bought an American model and use it in Canada? Id assume the maps would just update to where you're located?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine is a garmin nuvi 3590LM , you can still find a few here and there on e-bay and maybe other sites. There's only like 3 garmin Nuvi models that works with the same version our chargers have. There is a map update post somewhere in the forums that has a bunch of chatter on it. I will see if i can find it.
Maps... I am not 100% sure it does, but i think it includes Canada. But i would do maybe a quick google on that or look at garmin's website to see what they cover, with lifetime maps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts