Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 RT with road and track. All stock. Had mid mufflers delete a few weeks ago and I like it but want a little more something but not wake the neighbors. Straight pipe isn’t really how I want to go and I want to avoid as much drone as possible. Thinking about replacing stock resonators with dynomax race bullets and 4in tips. Opinions, suggestions, comments would be appreciated and if anyone knows of any clips or different search terms ( other than the title variation) that would help.

·
Registered
858 Posts
There were at least three different suitcase/butterfly mufflers available for the first gen LX Hemi cars. If your car was an R/T R&T, you would have had the least restrictive design, sometimes called the Daytona muffler. It's almost straight through. Deleting it wouldn't have made a lot of difference sound-wise, compared with the other designs.

Personally, I wouldn't cut off your stock resonators for a number of reasons; they are all stainless steel, they have complex pipes with integrated hangers and smooth mandrel bends, and they are very effective at eliminating drone. Cut them off and you'll almost certainly end up with rust-prone mild steel pipes, with some sharp, shiatty crush bends, possibly with goofy, clamped-on hangers.

In terms of drone, it's very tough to replicate the resonance control of the OEM units with an aftermarket design. You might be able to get by with something like the Ultraquiet 1140, but, well, they're kind of quiet. I'm not sure you'd be happy with the result. But I don't think race bottles will kill the drone, they're really just meant to tone down the rasp a bit. If something as simple as a race bottle would control drone, Mopar would probably have used the much simpler SRT resonators (which are really just glasspacks) instead of the rat's nets of chambers and pipes that the 5.7 resonators have.

If you can get your hands on some SRT resonators, you might try those, with a couple of reducers. But there's a chance that you will still get some unpleasant harmonics when MDS is active.

I don't think you want an all-or-nothing solution, because if you don't like it, it will be a hassle to put the OEM resonators back. What I'd suggest is to try modifying your resonators for a little more sound. You can read everything about this mod by Googling "you don't need new exhaust. a new mod", with the quotes.

What I like about this mod (other than the fact that it's cheap, easy, and looks completely stock) is that it can be done progressively. You stop when you get the sound exactly where you want it, or when you feel that "drone" is just around the corner. About the only downside is you don't get to spend a lot of money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve read a little about the resonator mods but I don’t consider myself very mechanically inclined so fabrications and other types of mods that require cutting or welding I’ve stayed away from. I can turn screws and bolts no problem with instructions. This mod would definitely save money and if I messed the job up then I’d be back at the plan of just replacing them.
You’re right about the suitcase I had removed. It was very open and I could see thought it at an angle. My car always had some growl but I’ve noticed it’s louder now. It’s very noticeable at startup and the cackles and pops she made when I let off the throttle now happen more frequently and at lower rpms.
Really all I want in the end is good sound (I love the mid delete I just want it a little louder than it is now), minimal drone( like now) and low cost.

·
Registered
858 Posts
This mod would definitely save money and if I messed the job up then I’d be back at the plan of just replacing them.
That's the key. If you don't like it, you haven't really lost anything. In the meantime, you can start with one small hole per side, go to two, then keep increasing the diameter. Some guys don't plug the case holes...I don't like to talk about that, because there's always somebody who can't wait to say that will lead to certain death from carbon monoxide poisoning. I suppose if they knew that Charger resonators come from the factory with drain holes, they'd probably clutch their pearls and faint.

Point is, you can just keep tweaking it until you like the sound. Capping the case holes will just quiet it down a bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 RT with road and track. All stock. Had mid mufflers delete a few weeks ago and I like it but want a little more something but not wake the neighbors. Straight pipe isn’t really how I want to go and I want to avoid as much drone as possible. Thinking about replacing stock resonators with dynomax race bullets and 4in tips. Opinions, suggestions, comments would be appreciated and if anyone knows of any clips or different search terms ( other than the title variation) that would help.
I’ve got a 2007 r/t which I removed the suitcase muffler in the middle. Cost me $250. The loss of torque down low was so great, I had it reinstalled the very next day. I talked to another guy who had done the same mod and he agreed. He argued that the sound was worth it and in a few days I’d get used to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts