Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually when I fill up with gas my miles till empty will read somewhere between 310-320. The last couple times it’s showed 270-285. I’ve even made sure to top it off as full as it’ll get with it not showing above 300.
Okay so not to be a dick but I’d like to know if this is a known problem or if anyone else had experienced this problem. I don’t want, “try this, or that”. I’ve tried it! LoL
Maybe my Charger is just really special and a truly one of a kind and I’m the only one in the world with this problem. That’s usually my luck!
Thanks all!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Usually when I fill up with gas my miles till empty will read somewhere between 310-320. The last couple times it’s showed 270-285. I’ve even made sure to top it off as full as it’ll get with it not showing above 300.
Okay so not to be a dick but I’d like to know if this is a known problem or if anyone else had experienced this problem. I don’t want, “try this, or that”. I’ve tried it! LoL
Maybe my Charger is just really special and a truly one of a kind and I’m the only one in the world with this problem. That’s usually my luck!
Thanks all!
I’ve noticed that my miles per tank change based on the avg fuel economy displayed. For example, the last job I was working was about 17 miles one way with about 15 of those being free flowing highway miles. My mpg avg was between 24 and 25 and at fill ups the miles remaining were right around 390 if I remember right. Since I’ve been laid off my driving is almost 100% city and I’m sitting at about 16.9 mpg avg and when I fill up it’s about 300 miles in the tank.
Not sure if I explained that very well but, I think the computer calculates the miles per tank based on you mpg average. I have no supporting evidence other than my own observations on my car though.
Edited for typos.
One more edit: That being said, I don’t think it’s a problem. It’s just telling you that if you continue to drive the way you’ve been driving you can expect to drive x miles before your next fill up. I’ve had some times when I’ve gone 20 miles grandma style and the miles left in the tank stayed the same as my mpg avg was increasing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's based on total miles driven. I don't drive mine many miles and notice that when I fill up I have low 200's for miles to empty, but if I happen to drive a pretty good distance (average or long trip) and fill up the miles to empty goes way up to high 200's (280+). So, the more you drive and the more average miles the range will go up accordingly!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I drive around 20-30 miles a day to and from work. I just parked a minute ago from a 30 mile drive and my mile till empty now says 305!
WT actually F! LoL
Crazy computers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I figured it was related to the calcalated miles per gallon. I haven't taken my Daytona on a road trip yet, but on road trips with my R/T I would notice that the Mile to Empty would increase as my MPG would increase. I have also notice it change if I were to re-set the MPG after fill up.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I agree with Leo. I believe that the "miles to empty" is calculated by taking the number of gallons of gas in the tank multiplied by the average mpg. I have also seen my "miles to empty" increase, particularly if I've been doing a lot of city driving (lower avg. mpg) and then take a highway trip (avg. mpg increases).

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Leo and Bob got it right. My driving is mostly city and when I fill up I rarely see a range of over 300 miles after a fill-up. And, when I'm on the highway on a road trip my range to empty increases as I truck on down the highway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts