Dodge Charger Forum banner

Mopar 77070043 cai question

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  catdaddy 
#1 ·
I am shopping ebay for a MOPAR CAI for the 6.4 hemi and i see two different images of the part - both versions show as MOPAR part# 77070043 but some sellers show the stainless steel mandrelbent tubing with a mopar logo and other sellers are displaying just what seems to be the filter with some basic attachment parts...

Can someone who knows fill me in on if there are actual differences with this component? Please see pic for more details on this question..

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The 5.7L engines use version A. The SRT's use version B. I have version B on my SRT. The placement of the throttle body is different on the two engines. Notice the higher intake manifold on version A also. Not sure, but the 1st gen 6.1L engines have the larger intake (bigger hump) and may also use version A.

The vendor here, Fairfield shows version A as fitting the 6.4L and so does my parts catalog. It is a stock photo, and the exact part number 77070043 is in fact version B. I checked my invoice. Chrysler did not update the photo when the 2nd gens came out. My dealer told me this when I ordered mine.
http://www.fairfieldchryslerjeepdodge.com/parts-accessories/shop.htm

#6 ·
I'll quote what another forum member (MASTERG) posted on here about the LMI:

1. It doesn't have a heat-shield. Why call it a CAI if it sucks in mostly hot air?

2. It isn't secured by anything other than the sleeve that couples it to the throttle body. So unless you wedge it in just right, it doesn't sit in the engine bay securely.

3. You have to wedge it in. Now the filter is directly rubbing on the fender. The previous owner was smart enough to put a strip of Velcro between the filter and the fender to prevent it from doing any damage. Still though, this strikes me as really cheesy.

4. Because there's no protection for it in it's current location, it gets wet! This only becomes a problem at the car wash. I haven't seen any issues in the rain. The Mopar does a much better job of protecting the filter though.

So in the end, the LMI gets a 10/10 for quality, but a 5/10 for fitment. Just my opinion on the subject. I know a lot of people here really like LMI and this is in no way directed at them

#7 ·
A lot of folks who are down on the Mopar CAI's had the older versions on their 1st gen Chargers. The new Mopar CAI's are much better designed IMO, I love the housing design. Now I have owned the 5.7 and 6.4 versions and I haven't had any problem with the black weather striping, but it does have to be mentioned because of all the complaint posts I have seen.
Still, I love this CAI and only wished they offered the filters in different colors.

#11 ·
#1 Lets all first congradulate Dave on his purchase.
#2 I find a pissing match over what is the best CAI, as extremely boring!
#3 I'll take you all on, as to whats the best color Charger, SILVER for the win, because it looks clean when its dirty, and doesn't show swirl marks :p
:TU: Thank you sir! Getting this first mod installed on Friday.

#12 ·
how does it suck in hot air? its sits down in your bumper, lol someones retarded. maybe if you buy the short ram intake but not the cold air intake. why does it need support? it weighs nothing? my hennssey intake has no support bracket either. works just fine.
The one I have isn't a fender draw. It sits inside the engine bay right where the OEM filter box was installed. I did consider switching to the fender draw, but I wanted a little more protection from the elements.

I know it works fine, but I just expect more from something that expensive. If you just want something that works, you can DIY for much cheaper.

#13 · (Edited)
I have the LMI True CAI and compared my intake temperatures to RickyDL's Mopar CAI after a 1/4 mile drag against him, my intake temp was 35 degrees cooler. I do understand concerns about warranties and weather but I purchased a cover for the filter and it's been trouble free for 9 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.