Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I spent about 6 hours of labor (over 9 hours of time) putting in my Mopar headers yesterday. I've got a problem. The right-rear sensor was not supposed to have a sensor lead extender. As a result, it's the only sensor that is too short. I was able to pull at the wiring harness to make it fit, but this thing is taught! Has anyone had any experience with getting around this? Is there some special unwrapping of the cable harness that needs to be done? If I just had another 10 inch cable extension, I could fix the problem that way. Does anyone here know where I can get a 10 inch o2 sensor lead extension like the 3 that were in the kit?

Other notable "challenges":
- About 7 or 8 bolts can only be accessed via "crows-feet" and/or flex-head wrenches. (good luck matching the torque spec on those!)
- Old bolts have 13 mm heads, new bolts have 12 mm heads. (had to buy ANOTHER flex-head wrench!)
- 3 included O2 sensor extensions were keyed wrong. All of my cables are keyed on center, but this kit included 2 that had an off-center key. I had to grind it down.
- Some steps are transposed. Part B in step 2 must be removed before Part A in step 1 is accessible, etc.
- My Car's remote-start stopped working. I don't know what's up with that. No CELs are occurring.

I've been driving the car for about 50 minutes so far. Really bad burning smell at first, but I assume that's the innards of the cats seasoning. It went away.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Cant help ya with the tech questions, but did you put the new cats on too?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant help ya with the tech questions, but did you put the new cats on too?
Yep. It's a matched set. The headers won't fit with stock cats.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Check with the FRI guys - since they're into headers now, they may be able to source some extensions.

I've always said that I think it's easier to install the headers by pulling the heads. It's still an 8-10 hour job (6-8 hours if you've pulled heads before), but a bit easier on the hands, and you're guaranteed to torque everything correctly. The downside is the expense of new head bolts - but that's not so bad...

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Are the mopar headers long tube? You would think the dealer have what you need? My JBA's bolted right up no problem everything fit perfect.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
After reading my manual, I think I may have found the problem that is keeping my remote start off. It's probably because I've got an I/M "not ready" indicator. Do any of you know how to get more information about what is wrong? My owners manual says this could also be caused by a recent dead battery, which I basically had when I unplugged it for the work.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The smell is normal. The remote start I have no clue. The same sensor is a bit taught with my Kooks.
I'm just going to ask my dealer about the remote start thing when I have the car in to replace the soggy headlight. It seems like it should be unrelated to my mods. My "I/M not-ready" blink went away, so why on earth would Dodge purposefully punish me with a removal of a remote-start feature. :)

Frank can't get the sensor lead extenders. I think I'll pull my short O2 sensor off and just splice some more wire on. I'm pretty confident about my soldering and cable dressing skills, so I'm not worried.

I really like the headers. I gained a much lower tone on the exhaust, which was what I wanted. I also got more woofing at idle, which also makes me happy. I wanted the dirty-throaty sound. We'll see what happens at the dyno on Saturday!

I'll post a video of the exhaust manifold removal, but not the install of the new one. I got so darn tired and fed up, I just set the camera aside. Putting headers on is a bit easier than removing the exhaust manifold anyway, because by the time you get the old ones off, the lay of the land becomes more familiar.

Have any of you guys put some sort of thermal insulating boot over the headers? The headers don't use a heat shield like the old manifold, and some of the pipes are closer to neighboring parts. It was recommended to me, so I'm just asking.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trent I have these as well.

I had no issues with the 3 extentions working. They are keyed for front and back as the O2s are differnt. I would double check that you didnt get them mixed up. You need to re route the tight wire a little to get some extra length from it, I had to do that when I had the HHP High Flows.
I think it may be a 2008 thing. All 4 of my O2 sensors have the "center" key, whereas the mopar kit appears to assume the front ones have an off-center key. Regardless, A good pocket knife fixed that problem. :) I'm not going to confuse the two anyway.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Trent I have these as well.

I had no issues with the 3 extentions working. They are keyed for front and back as the O2s are differnt. I would double check that you didnt get them mixed up. You need to re route the tight wire a little to get some extra length from it, I had to do that when I had the HHP High Flows.

You didnt wash the headers did you ? :) Its actually in the instructions Gets off all teh oils from handling ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiliLbXbo3I

Thats Hellfire Cam and Street Heads with Mopar Midlengths on my 5.7 pre tune high idle.

-Robert
Hey Rob, how do ya like the headers?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just going to ask my dealer about the remote start thing when I have the car in to replace the soggy headlight. It seems like it should be unrelated to my mods. My "I/M not-ready" blink went away, so why on earth would Dodge purposefully punish me with a removal of a remote-start feature. :)
The remote start is fixed under waranty. somehow, the hood switch went faulty. I don't know how that could be related to the headers...probably just coincidence. :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have any of you guys wrapped insulating material around the headers?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Dan, so far I like them, the sound is really nice ( except for the fact I keep thinking there is a leak someplace around the collector ).

I'll be honest I like these, It would be nice if they were SS but that would bring up the cost a bit but over all it was a good buy IMHO

-Robert
Rob:

Flip open your Summit catalogue & look up the Summit 2 1/2" copper collector gaskets.

Part#: SUM-610125 $9.95

These are the $HITZ for the Mopar/AEM collectors. Perfect fit in all respects.

They can be reused many times although after a couple of re-uses I put in fresh ones.

Avoid the aluminum gaskets that AutoZone & Advance Auto sell. They are total crap. The bolt holes are mis-located & the gaskets will elongate & start leaking/blow out in short order

Also be forwarned. The OEM gaskets are a 1 time deal. Once you unbutton the collector for what ever reason, they are toast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts