Dodge Charger Forum banner

Should I buy Mopar's Vehicle Protection plan?

• Yes, you'll be happy if you have to use it, even for a few minor things.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, it's too expensive and you might find cheaper solutions.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. I just got an offer from Dodge to purchase their factory-backed Vehicle Protection plan. I have a 2015 SXT Rallye that I purchase a couple months ago. It had about 55k miles on it and has been running well, except for a wheel speed sensor that I just replaced. I'm wondering if you guys think purchasing this extended warranty is worth it.

On one hand it's a lot of dough: ~$2500, $249 up front and $95/month for 24 months that will give me 36 months of coverage.

On the other hand, in my brief experience so far it seems like any work that needs to be done will cost a fortune out-of-pocket. The dealer quoted me $450 just for the labor of replacing the wheel speed sensor, not including the part or scanning the OBD. I also replaced the HID bulbs when I first got the car as the old ones were getting pretty dim, and I believe that also would've been several hundred dollars to have the dealer do it. To change the headlight bulbs!

For reference, I'll probably drive about 9k mi/yr. and have basic skills and tools to do relatively simple fixes. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry guys, I just realized there's a dedicated section for polls. Can the mods move this for me? Thanks

·
Registered
775 Posts
CdNJ, be aware that a lot of extended warranties have deductibles for each repair. $250 deductible, or the like. So you not only pay up front and monthly, but you also pay the first $250 of any fix. Doesn't mean it won't save you in the long run, but you have to weigh what the chances are that you'll have a major ($2,500) issue between 55k miles and 82k (given your 9k/ yr mileage).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good looking out Nuwanda. I didn't even think about that. Today was the last day for me to sign up, unless they make another offer, and I forwent the deal. Here's hoping it was the right move :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts