Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a 180 t stat and used the predator to change the fan setting yet it actually runs higher than the previous one

Idling the fans used to get it down to 200 idling and 194 on the highway

Now its 208 idling and never drops below 197 no matter how fast im going on the highway

I cant figure out whats wrong. The coolant got refilled right after the t stat was installed

No leaks. Everything working

Fans on high and working. I checked

Just no explanation

·
Hey y'all, watch this!
1,542 Posts
There's a possibility that you have an air bubble trapped in the system. May need to burp your cooling system.

Also what did you set the fans at?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a possibility that you have an air bubble trapped in the system. May need to burp your cooling system.

Also what did you set the fans at?
Fans at low speed 190 medium 195

I didnt wanna push it too hard

But its regularly at 208

·
Registered
35 Posts
What jkelly16 said. Double check your fan settings. There are a TON of them! low speed/high speed fans, at slow driving speeds and high speeds without A/C on, plus A/C on. If in doubt, reload the factory tune, then either reload performance tune, or subtract about 18 - 20 degrees off each factory set point (best to take a sheet of paper and write down each factory setting 1st).

If it's a 5.7 Hemi V8, then you definitely need to loosen the 1/4" plug in front of thermostat housing. Because I changed thermostats more than a couple times over 15+ years, plus drain and re-fills of coolant, I made myself a drain hose made of a 1/4 barbed fitting to thread into plug hole, and used about a 3 ft. 1/4" rubber hose. After re-filling while engine is cool, I would keep the other hose end plugged with a bolt (wear rubber gloves, as it gets HOT!) until the engine begins to get warm. I keep the burp funnel in the overflow reservoir filled, and then I remove the bolt on the thermostat housing hose and direct it into a large empty container. As the thermostat opens, keep a close eye on the level in the fill funnel, mixing the correct concentrate with distilled water until I get a good steady flow out of thermostat hose with no air bubbles. Once satisfied, I stick the bolt in the hose end and shut it down to cool. When cooled down, I replace the hose with the factory 1/4" plug, top off the reservoir and re-cap it. After next couple start up/shut downs, re-check your levels. Should be good to go. Beats having lots of messy anti-freeze leaking out over your serpentine belt and the ground.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What jkelly16 said. Double check your fan settings. There are a TON of them! low speed/high speed fans, at slow driving speeds and high speeds without A/C on, plus A/C on. If in doubt, reload the factory tune, then either reload performance tune, or subtract about 18 - 20 degrees off each factory set point (best to take a sheet of paper and write down each factory setting 1st).

If it's a 5.7 Hemi V8, then you definitely need to loosen the 1/4" plug in front of thermostat housing. Because I changed thermostats more than a couple times over 15+ years, plus drain and re-fills of coolant, I made myself a drain hose made of a 1/4 barbed fitting to thread into plug hole, and used about a 3 ft. 1/4" rubber hose. After re-filling while engine is cool, I would keep the other hose end plugged with a bolt (wear rubber gloves, as it gets HOT!) until the engine begins to get warm. I keep the burp funnel in the overflow reservoir filled, and then I remove the bolt on the thermostat housing hose and direct it into a large empty container. As the thermostat opens, keep a close eye on the level in the fill funnel, mixing the correct concentrate with distilled water until I get a good steady flow out of thermostat hose with no air bubbles. Once satisfied, I stick the bolt in the hose end and shut it down to cool. When cooled down, I replace the hose with the factory 1/4" plug, top off the reservoir and re-cap it. After next couple start up/shut downs, re-check your levels. Should be good to go. Beats having lots of messy anti-freeze leaking out over your serpentine belt and the ground.
The fan settings are fine because they're exactly the same settings that I had with the last thermostat and that one worked fine. It ran a lot cooler with the same settings. The coolant was refilled by the mechanic after I took it in for something else so that should be fine. I'm pretty sure the coolant is moving but it's hard to tell. I mean it's not overheating it's just running hotter than it should..

It's a v6 and I just had the mechanic pop in the 180 because it had to get replaced anyway cuz the original one broke

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Its sitting at 203. Drops to 199 when i rev it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like you may still have a trapped air pocket. Even so-called "mechanics" don't always follow procedure to burp the air on newer cars. There is also a plug on the V6s that needs to be removed to purge air pockets. I'd ask him to redo that. Also, double check to make sure when hot that both fans come on. I had 1 of 2 of my fans burn out after about 10 years and had to replace the fans.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like you may still have a trapped air pocket. Even so-called "mechanics" don't always follow procedure to burp the air on newer cars. There is also a plug on the V6s that needs to be removed to purge air pockets. I'd ask him to redo that. Also, double check to make sure when hot that both fans come on. I had 1 of 2 of my fans burn out after about 10 years and had to replace the fans.
Well the big fan comes on. Ill check the other

Would an air pocket leave it steady at 208?

Also where is the plug? I tried running it with the cap off to purge any air but it doesnt seem to have worked

·
Registered
35 Posts
An air pocket can cause that. If it's a 3.5 V6, Bleed Valve Location located on the lower intake manifold, left of center and below the upper intake plenum. There are plenty of You Tube videos showing how to purge either the 3.5 or newer 3.6 V6s. Also, use something like a Lisle 24680 coolant fill funnel kit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just installed a 180 t stat and used the predator to change the fan setting yet it actually runs higher than the previous one

Just no explanation
It's a v6 and I just had the mechanic pop in the 180 because it had to get replaced anyway cuz the original one broke
Did you or your mechanic verify the temp of the t-stat? Maybe the store sold you the wrong t-stat in the right box?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Heh! Again, the t-stat no matter the spec, will not make your Temps lower, it will only prevent the coolant temp from running cooler than its rating. Once the car is at full operation temp its wide open like any rated t-stat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts