Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"My 1st ticket for halos (sorry for the title)"

And I am pissed...​

This ass**** makes a u-turn and pulls me over. Ask the typical question "do you know why I pulled you over" and I say "no". He says you can't have those green rings. So he asks for my ID, registration, and proof of insurance. While I'm looking he tells me my tinted tag is illegal, so I tell him I have my weapon in the car and give him my concealed weapons permit. At this time I have him my registration which still has the month/year sticker I haven't put on. He tells me that needs to be put on because he could give me a ticket for that. So he takes all my information and I see him in my rearview writing me a citation and I am just fuming. So he returns to the car and says "did you put somehting under the seat" I say "no" I was putting back everything I took out the glove box. He then says one of the guys standing on the fence told me you put something under the seat. I then say **** it search the damn car. He says no need you been straight up with me til this point. He then gives me a fix it ticket for the halos, so I say how does this work they are on a remote and there is nothing to fix. He stills goes through the Florida Statutes and I'm like whatever. I have been everywhere with my halos on and never received a ticket. I know they are illegal but really this is what you pull me over for...​

I just needed to vent and yes as soon as I drove off I turned my halos back on and will continue to ride with them on.​

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Thats messed up bro, at least its just a fix it ticket and you can go to court and fight it

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea but like I told him they are operated by remote what am I fixing?

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Its the pay to play rule.... Im not agreeing with the cop but we all know going in they are illegal.....

I sometimes drive with my red ones on but its the chance you take......

Frankly, I dunno what the hell was up with the "What did you put under your seat" :4-dontknow: Sounds like a freakin crock of shit to me........

I have definitely been a victim of cop fishing..... been pulled over multi times and they just sit and look for things to give you tickets for.........

I once got a ticket for having a Tachometer mounted on my dash.... she claimed it was "Obstruction of view"...... *****:rolleyes:

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Yea but like I told him they are operated by remote what am I fixing?

I assume "fixing" is removing.....just like tint. I would just get a cop or buddy to sign off on it and then turn it in

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right it is pay to play but no warning and for him to come out of his way "u-turn" to stop me for some green lights...what a waste of time. Oh yeah he told me green is used for security vehicles and if this is a security vehicle I would have to get a light bar across the top of the car and register it as a security vehicle. Also he stated I can have green lights but the bulbs\leds can't be visible, it can only be illuminated. I am about to light up my grille and engine bay something sick!!!

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume "fixing" is removing.....just like tint. I would just get a cop or buddy to sign off on it and then turn it in
Thats what I may have to do because I'm not removing them and my headlights are tinted...:4-dontknow:

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
You are right it is pay to play but no warning and for him to come out of his way "u-turn" to stop me for some green lights...what a waste of time. Oh yeah he told me green is used for security vehicles and if this is a security vehicle I would have to get a light bar across the top of the car and register it as a security vehicle. Also he stated I can have green lights but the bulbs\leds can't be visible, it can only be illuminated. I am about to light up my grille and engine bay something sick!!!

I have also heard the same thing that they can not be visible but I have never heard that "green" is reserved for security...... frankly I doubt they could enforce that aspect since security is generally privately owned.....

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
That sucks bro. I have asked cops I have seen at shows if they would give me a ticket for my blue halos. All of them said they might pull me over but if I wasnt an ******* they would let me go.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whats funny is I had a cop pull up to me in Mickey D's drive-thru and he asked me questions for about 10 minutes about my halos and never mentioned a ticket.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
That is crazy....It was probably just an excuse to pull a dude over in a nice car, a fishing expedition. He was hoping you were a dick.

·
9 Second Club
32,307 Posts
Whats funny is I had a cop pull up to me in Mickey D's drive-thru and he asked me questions for about 10 minutes about my halos and never mentioned a ticket.

Its funny, I do get paranoid running halos on the street but moreso because they are red......

If I had green I probably would be in the same boat you are.... in the sense I probably wouldnt worry too much about running them on the street

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would just go to court and say its fixed, bc a friend of mine got pulled over for tint, removed the tint himself, then went to court to fight the ticket and the judge said"your here for tint? You can go, you wouldnt be here unless you fixed it so have a good day" granted your situation may be different because all judges are different but I cannot see this getting out of hand, I would just go to the court and say they are wired up to a switch for the sole purpose being able to turn them on and off, for shows and things like that. That should do the trick

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would just go to court and say its fixed, bc a friend of mine got pulled over for tint, removed the tint himself, then went to court to fight the ticket and the judge said"your here for tint? You can go, you wouldnt be here unless you fixed it so have a good day" granted your situation may be different because all judges are different but I cannot see this getting out of hand, I would just go to the court and say they are wired up to a switch for the sole purpose being able to turn them on and off, for shows and things like that. That should do the trick

Thats probably what I will do Eric.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Thats what I would do Keon, because I figure if you go there and tell them exactly what you have and what its used for they will dismiss it. It was probably just a cop that was having a bad day..Good luck with it bro!

·
Registered
436 Posts
The lights were only probable cause to stop you so that he can check insurance and such. He should have just cut you though, I think a citation for green halos is nonsense.

·
Registered
25,912 Posts
I know the feeling bro.. and it sucks but Dan is right..
I know my shit is not legal.. But still what happen on Saturday night was uncalled for..

got stop for window tint.....
No ticket, just a warning.. But then he wanted to search car for Drugs..
HE SEARCHED THE SHIT out of it..

Turn into a mini car show because he wanted to know about all the mods..
Just picture my car on the side of I-75 Hood up, All 4 doors up and car dropped to the ground.. etc..

Yeah people were slowing down to see.

He started out cool, then became a ASS than was real cool afterward..

But I was scared as shit.. Fearing he was going to plant something.
He had me standing by his car.. I couldn't see what he was doing..

Not sure how a fix it ticket works. But all I got was a warning and 45 mins of waiting HELL.

·
Registered
185 Posts
For those who this might happen to in the future:

-The best ploy a lot of state troopers use (around areas of heavy traffiking) is ask to search your vehicle, and when you say "No, my compartments are locked, and there's no probable cause to search my vehicle! You only pulled me over for speeding!" Their usual response is, "Well, we'll wait for the dogs to come since you won't let me go through it, but it's going to take around 2 hours for them to arrive." Now, 99% of the time, the driver is going to just say "Go ahead and search it because I don't want to wait that long..." (and the cops know this is the usual response) but when a cop did that to me, I told him, "I want your badge number, your supervisor's contact number and I want him called NOW!" (Be aware that this was 2am) He told me "No, I'm not required to give that information to you, you can contact us at the local station with this number....." Needless to say, I called the number with him standing there, spoke with the dispatcher and when she realized what he'd just done, she called him off to another more pressing matter, of course he didn't give me a ticket due to this being brought up in court which I told him, I would make sure that it was, and in the end, I still got in contact with the night supervisor, briefed him on everything, and he didn't seem too pleased. I saw that same "cop" 3 weeks later, serving me my food in the drive-thru for Burger King. He remembered me very well, he ended up throwing my drink into my car as soon as I rolled down the window. Basically, he was fired for false arrest/imprisonment. If there's no probable cause to search, then they can't. And you saying "No" is NOWHERE EVEN CLOSE to probable cause!!!!!!!

For GeorgiaSlim:

-I've never heard anything about green halos being illegal in any state... but then again, I only deal with Kentucky Revised Statute and Federal Law since I work on an Army base. Green halos/underbody/interior lights are legal on all three counts here in Kentucky. I even have green LED interior lights and I'm installing a few green light bars in the grill for when my Danko grille comes in. I think it's around 38 states or so allow any color except blue or red, and those that do let you use it, it can't be oscillating (flashing). I know most states still allow green though, maybe the bar has to be unseen, but they should still be allowed.

For Bullish:

-Fix-it tickets basically say that... say your tail-light went out, they would issue you one, and if you showed proof to a police officer within a certain time (I think it's 48hrs) that it's been repaired, any other officer will sign it and there's no fine. It's more of a "Fix your crap if you didn't already know." I think only a few states have that implimented.

-And if this officer that searched your car knew anything about Arizona v. Gant (Supreme Court Ruling on vehicle searches), with or without you arrested, you still need to be near him while he searches (unless you're combatant and then he's still supposed to have another officer with him). That's a big issue with the patrols here on Ft. Knox. They have this idea in their head that when they arrest you, you go directly into the patrol car while we search it... and when we find drugs (which has happened), it gets thrown out in court because of the Arizona v. Gant ruling and the fact that the plantiff swears up and down we planted it.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
holy crap,,, well i never drive with my green halos on, but that officer was just looking for something. What an ass "did you put something under youre seat?" Geez man, :shakehead:

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Good information Diesel!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts