Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the 69 Danko grill. I am currently getting it ready for the install. This is my write up and it will be in series throughout the whole process. Bare with me.

Here is the part. IMG_0232[1].JPG

First time to paint it. Did you guys/gals know that Chrysler made the OEM paint available in stores? Got some Primer, BB, and Silver Metalic (the same color as the wheels that came with my car. IMG_0255[1].jpg

First I sand it with 320grit sand paper (as Mo specifies in his instructions. I made sure I sanded every nook and cranny.
IMG_0250[1].jpg
IMG_0251[1].jpg

Then I washed it with soap and water to clean. Washing it also helps you see uneven sanded parts.
IMG_0253[1].jpg

Next I took out the baffle cone and grab my inserts. I am going to paint the outer edge of my inserts and the Baffle Silver Met (The same as my OEM wheels. I sand both parts.
IMG_0256[1].jpg IMG_0257[1].jpg
IMG_0259[1].jpg

After that, clean also with soap and water.
Next I wiped all parts down with alcohol. IMG_0260[1].jpg

Time for some Primer. IMG_0261[1].jpg

Here is the grill after the primer.
IMG_0263[1].jpg

While thats drying for about an hour, I mask off the Grill inserts.
IMG_0264[1].jpg

I followed the same steps as I did with the grill for the baffle and inserts.

IMG_0266[1].jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Great so far i still need to install mine
Reps to you

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Continuation

Time to paint. Here are the pieces after.
IMG_0273.jpg

This concludes the first part of this series. Next is the clear coat for the grill, a lil fabrication with the Classic emblem, and final install.
IMG_0274.jpg

I will continue to post in this thread with the final results when I get done. Stay tuned. Oh yea I will be installing my AAC color shifts while I have the bumper off. But that will be posted in the AAC side of the house. Once again.... Great product, Mo.

Attachments

Reactions: BBChallyR/T

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Very nice so far, keep up the good work..:TU:

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
REPs!!!! Nice pics!!!!!

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
good job you are putting in work.

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
This is a great start to your writeup. Reps for this.

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Reps to you for the DIY

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice job, reps for doing it your self
Thanks

Look good so far..
Looking forward to seeing it installed..
Thanks

This is a great start to your writeup. Reps for this.
Thanks

awesome, I'll could use this for the website!!
Thanks. That would be great, Mo

Reps to you for the DIY
Thanks

Thank you all for the rep.:TU: Now lets continue with what I done today.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so the grill is painted good. Now its time for the emblem for the grill.
IMG_0276[1].jpg

I dont have the emblem with the screws on it so Im going to fabricate and add the screws myself. IMG_0277[1].jpg

I used a dremmel and cut off the two spikes in the back.
IMG_0278[1].jpg IMG_0279[1].jpg

Im using this screws. The flat piece is going to be used to hold the emblem from the in the back of the grill. (I hope I explained that right)
IMG_0280[1].jpg

I cut off the top of the screw to create a flat surface.
IMG_0284[1].jpg

Here goes the adhesive. 1part to 1part mixture.
IMG_0285[1].jpg

Glued the screws on and I placed the bolts on them to get the measurement of the flat washer piece. This will prevent the washer from sliding down to far. This procedure is only to measure for correct distance of the screws.
IMG_0287[1].jpg IMG_0289[1].jpg

Now that I got the correct measurments; I will let it dry for 24hours.
IMG_0292[1].jpg

Well that all for right now. The grill should be going on tomorrow (Saturday). Stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Great write up! Let me know how that epoxy holds up. I've had a love-hate relationship with the front emblem. I did the same thing you did...I cut off the spikes and used screws instead.

I keep having the adhesive fail. I even tried tac-welding them in, but the emblem is pot metal, and won't bond to the stainless steel screws. JB Weld won't work! Can't remember the other stuff I tried, but it was a two part solution. What brand of adhesive are you using? I might try to install mine again if yours holds up.

*Sorry for thread jack; this has been a PITA for me for over a year now.*
Until I can get it resolved, I'm using the OEM SRT emblem.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Nice write up. Reps for DIY. Can't wait to see the finished product.:TU:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great write up! Let me know how that epoxy holds up. I've had a love-hate relationship with the front emblem. I did the same thing you did...I cut off the spikes and used screws instead.
I keep having the adhesive fail. I even tried tac-welding them in, but the emblem is pot metal, and won't bond to the stainless steel screws. JB Weld won't work! Can't remember the other stuff I tried, but it was a two part solution. What brand of adhesive are you using? I might try to install mine again if yours holds up.

*Sorry for thread jack; this has been a PITA for me for over a year now.*
Until I can get it resolved, I'm using the OEM SRT emblem.

At first I was thinking about soldering it on there. But I was unsure of the material used to make the emblem. So this was the next option for me.

Im using Fiberglast Development Adhesive part 1101. Its a side A and B to the mixture. I checked my emblem this morning and it was solid as a rock. I did have one problem though. The screw came out because I didnt use delicate hands (I mean I really man handled it.) 2 things I didnt do that I think I should have done. I didnt prepare the surface for the best adhesion and I didnt use enough of the mix. Its back on there now though. The other stuck perfectly. I gave it the man handle test to see if it would hold up and it did. The test now is to see if it holds up to the heat out here (Elpaso Dessert), and near the engine compartment. Im sure it will though. The adhesive was originally going to be used for a part under my hood. Hope this helps.:TU:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Installed!!!!!

So here it goes. I hope you guys like. Mo this is tight.

IMG_0301[1].jpg

IMG_0302[1].jpg

IMG_0312[1].jpg

IMG_0310[1].jpg

IMG_0313[1].jpg

I did run into one problem withe the right side of the grill. It was the insert. It didnt fit perfectly. But, with a lil elbow grease and some of that great adhesive I mentioned earlier; it stuck just right. I did mess up some of the paint outline trying to do that. I will just touch it up though.:TU:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts