Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone say FOR SURE where the factory trans temp reading sensor is located?
in trans? In line? In cooler? trans temp reading sensor - where located?
thinking of using a separate cooler for my trans fluid.
Will the factory temp sensor still work? display in SRT pages?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The electrohydraulic control unit (inside the transmission) includes the shift plate for the hydraulic control and an electrical control unit that is mounted onto the shift plate.
The transmission oil temperature sensor is located in the shell of the electrical control unit.
Temperature of the transmission oil is sent to the TCM (transmission control module) as an input signal from the sensor. The transmission oil temperature sensor is switched in series with the park/neutral contact. The temperature signal is transferred to the TCM only when the park/neutral contact is closed in Reverse or a forward gear position. When the park/neutral contact is open, the transmission oil temperature will display as the same temp as the engine coolant.

Adding a oil cooler will not affect the operation of the transmission oil temperature sensor or the display of the transmission oil temp on the SRT pages.

Reactions: chief455

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NOW THAT, IS A SOLID ANSWER!!

Many thanks, I'm putting blue tops in this year and will be touching things - so this is great information. I never noticed the equal temps in park - but will look today!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The electrohydraulic control unit (inside the transmission) includes the shift plate for the hydraulic control and an electrical control unit that is mounted onto the shift plate.
The transmission oil temperature sensor is located in the shell of the electrical control unit.
Temperature of the transmission oil is sent to the TCM (transmission control module) as an input signal from the sensor. The transmission oil temperature sensor is switched in series with the park/neutral contact. The temperature signal is transferred to the TCM only when the park/neutral contact is closed in Reverse or a forward gear position. When the park/neutral contact is open, the transmission oil temperature will display as the same temp as the engine coolant.

Adding a oil cooler will not affect the operation of the transmission oil temperature sensor or the display of the transmission oil temp on the SRT pages.
So, while driving, trans temp was 171*, but it was 190* exactly as coolant temp, a few seconds after going into park. Interested way of triggering the trans temp sensor?
In the summer heat (54* outside today) and under harsh driving, trans temp has gone over 200*
I plan to mount a stand alone cooler with 700cfm fan, switched to 165* for better control.
Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts