Met with the folks at National Speed yesterday, and they maintain it’s not a warranty issue that the engine blew. I‘ve looked at various options for trying to change their minds, and decided to simply get the work done and then move on. Fighting it would be costly on a number of levels.
I’m having them proceed with replacing the engine and associated bits, with the goal of staying within the capability of the stock trans and t-case. After talking with a few knowledgeable folks on here and elsewhere, my conclusion is that drivetrain mods would push the overall cost into the red zone for me, cost-wise. I’d rather forego some of the potential extra power available from the new engine, to keep it as reliable as possible.
We’ll see how it goes, when I have my car back in four to six weeks. At this point I’m not saying I wouldn’t take it back to NS for more work after the current project, but I would only do so after taking a hard look at other shops, even if it meant a longer drive (or tow) to get there.