Need advice - Racing stripes for my 2014 Dodge Charger

Discussion in 'Custom Charger Exterior Mods - Body' started by icosmogeek, Feb 11, 2014.

1. icosmogeek

icosmogeek New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Hello there!

I am a newbie and I really have been thinking about getting racing stripes for my new 2014 Dodge Black Charger. Probably red color stripe.

(1) I did some research and found that there are different ways to put on these stripes: vinyl, paint or something else? What is recommended?

(2) I stay in Redmond-Seattle area and local website (http://www.signsnowmillcreek.com/) quoted me $803.41 + Tax. :O

This site (http://www.autographicspro.com/2011...opar-Style-Vinyl-Racing-Stripes-Kit_p_40.html) shows a different quote, but I donno whether I will be able to install on my own. Any local shops which you can guide me?

By the way, here is my muscle car (see attachment) and I would like to change something like this - http://www.gotshadeonline.com/racing-custom-pin-stripes/2010-dodge-charger

Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

2. GMAC

GMAC Senior Member Member Relations MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2011
    Trim?:
    Mopar11
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Welcome from Las Vegas.

Similar stripe kits are always available on eBay. Try getting estimates from graphics shops that do car wraps. Also, maybe there's an Auto Trim Design in your area. The price you got seems pretty steep. The vinyl is inexpensive, usually around $100.

3. Zskenandore

Zskenandore Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2011
    Trim?:
    Rallye
    Color?:
    Bright White
    Welcome.

Just my opinion, but if i had a black charger i would put matte black vinyls on.

4. cuda

cuda Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Vehicle:
    Charger AWD
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2013
    Trim?:
    SXT
    Color?:
    Jazz Blue
    X2.....that price is very steep for vinyl stripes. I am going with Auto Trim Design, getting the roof & spoiler wrapped matte black, and getting the hood scallops filled matte black outlined with an 1/8" plum crazy border, and rear quarter panel stripes in matte black outlined with an 1/8" plum crazy border with the Charger script logo cutout in the stripes. The whole job will be around $600 total. So if I were you I would shop around your local body shops or graphics installers.
    Here is an initial photoshop of the look I am shooting for. It's a very rough drawing of the hood though.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  5. BayouBoi

BayouBoi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Charger
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Oh man...go on ebay and get you kit for like 60bux. ? I actually paid $22 for mine but only the washer nozzle was precut. Tho I did get an extra piece of vinyl. And my suggestion would be matte black if you getting like the hood pieces that fills in the indentation.. I would only suggest a different for If you doing a very small piece like the fender accent piece or maybe a super bee style trunk stripe...

Good luck with this and welcome to the Z

6. BayouBoi

BayouBoi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Charger
    Trim?:
    SE
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
  7. icosmogeek

icosmogeek New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I started getting quotes from local auto graphic shop and will keep everyone updated.

Vinyl or paint or anything else - what are the pros and cons?

How much I need to pay for installation to a local auto shop (I am not sure whether I can do this myself) if I place order myself over eBay or online?

The $803 quote which I received says that it is 3M vinyl, 7 years.

And Mopar does not make stripes? Is it true?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions, but I would love to have racing stripes for my muscle car :)

8. sliderz

sliderz Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    '14 100th Anniv
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    SXT
    Color?:
    Ivory Pearl

Not true...Mopar does make stripes....They may not be the ones you want, but they do make them in specific styles for the chargers. Most vinyl you will find in Avery, Oracal, 3M will be 5-7 year outdoor life....so don't let them fully sell you on that. You can truly get a nice set of stripes(I know this as I've changed out several times) for a small price. The install price goes from do it yourself at "0" dollars to whatever you decide is the best for your pocketbook. My original stripes were installed for $150.00...which was still STEEP!!!!

$803 is a ripoff....

BTW, your question on paint VS. Vinyl. Vinyl is not permanent....it can be taken off if you prefer...Paint is for life, so you'd better know that you are going to worship that specific design....I've had 3 renditions of stripes on mine....

FYI:
    Here is an example of the stripes on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-Rally-Racing-Double-Stripes-2011-2012-2013-/121010777773?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2ccdeead&vxp=mtr

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  9. icosmogeek

icosmogeek New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Thanks for the links. Will definitely consider these before I place an order. Currently, I am trying to find local auto shops (Redmond/Seattle area) who can install these stripes. I don't want to take risk installing myself.

10. h0wl0ngcanitbe

h0wl0ngcanitbe Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    Welcome from WA!!

11. Firegod

Firegod Member Public Safety

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Blue Streak Pearl
    Cosmo,

Check out AutoFX in Tacoma. They do a lot of custom work and could probably answer your questions. They installed my tint, and were very professional.

FG

12. icosmogeek

icosmogeek New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    AutoFX says ~860 bucks! (220 for parts and 640 for installation). Seriously!

13. sliderz

sliderz Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    '14 100th Anniv
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    SXT
    Color?:
    Ivory Pearl
    You might want to get (2) Two sets of the same and install yourself. That way you have a backup if you goof up. Using the Wet installation method, you should have no issues with it as you are able to move the stripe around until you are satisfied....I've done several sets myself....I mean several. If I lived near you I'd do it for you....It's actually enjoyable and the end result when finished is worth it...

14. Firegod

Firegod Member Public Safety

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Trim?:
    SRT8
    Color?:
    Blue Streak Pearl
    I didn't say they were going to be cheap. I do know that they do quality work and are very professional.

And to tell you the truth, with the exterior of my car, I never go cheap.

FG

15. Trevor Schain

Trevor Schain New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Hey there, I know I'm late to the game but I'm also looking into racing stripes for my 2014 R/T and am in the Bellevue area. Did you ever find someone to do the install or did you do it yourself?

Let me know and if you did it yourself how it went. I'm pretty decent at stuff like this, but don't know if I could pull off applying stripes myself given its the face of your baby and something I've never done before or even close to it.

16. ImaginThat

ImaginThat New Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle:
    Charger
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    I am looking to do some rocker stripes and maybe a Daytona style trunk wrap, wife doesn't really want full stripes it's her car, tho a matte black on the granite crystal would be b1tch1n. Watch out up there in Newcastle you'll see the wife flyin home after work ;)

17. stormr

stormr New Member

Vehicle:
    Charger AWD
    Vehicle Year:
    7th Gen - 2014
    Trim?:
    R/T
    Color?:
    Brilliant Black
    I am planning on adding racing stripes myself here. I did it to a mustang I had years ago myself. the stripes were fairly cheap. But the install wasnt bad at all. Just save yourself a full saturday or sunday, get a case of beer (don't drink fast, drunkeness will make your stripes of center and cockeyed plus you need to save a victory beer). Use plenty of soapy water to keep them lubed up while placing them into position, then simply squeegee out the soapy water from under the stripes, then the adhesive backing will stay stick good at tight. After that just give them like a month or so without washing so they can pretty much bake to final sizing. I always just used regular wax on mine when I waxed the car. That was back in 04, and the stripes are still on that car and look good (I still see it from time to time around town).

Also if you have a buddy that can hang out with you it will help. Use them as a spotter so you can know if the stripes are straight withought having to keep walked around to see for yourself.