Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I’m brand new here. I rented a Scat Pack during a business trip and absolutely loved it and after a few years I’m pulling the trigger. I haven’t driven a R/T but I’m running out of time on some incentives for my order so just wondering if the Scat Pack, i.e. the 485hp and that sound, is way different and worth the extra $4k in MSRP than the R/T?

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,530 Posts
In my opinion yes, and I have one of each. Welcome from AZ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my opinion yes, and I have one of each. Welcome from AZ.
Thank you from MD, dodge guy! Not sure what options you’re running but I was looking at the Plus Group and the Adaptive Damping Suspension - in your opinion is that worth the $2,095 and $995 respectively?

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,530 Posts
I think you need the dynamics package to get the adaptive damping although i have not looked recently. Yes the plus is worth it..

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Josh, my previous Charger was an '06 Daytona (Hemi) and my current Charger is a '15 Rallye (3.6 V6), so I don't have any first hand experience with the Scat. However, I've always believed that the Scat is a performance bargain. However, if you do a lot of driving, you should realize that the recommended fuel for the R/T is premium, however it will run find on regular (that's exclusively what I used in my Hemi). I'm not sure, but I think the Scat requires premium (no mention of being able to use regular). In my area, that's a 20-40 cent difference per gallon. Also, the R/T has active exhaust, so it will have a similar exhaust sound to that of the Scat. Good luck on your decision. It's one that many of us would like to have!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Josh, my previous Charger was an '06 Daytona (Hemi) and my current Charger is a '15 Rallye (3.6 V6), so I don't have any first hand experience with the Scat. However, I've always believed that the Scat is a performance bargain. However, if you do a lot of driving, you should realize that the recommended fuel for the R/T is premium, however it will run find on regular (that's exclusively what I used in my Hemi). I'm not sure, but I think the Scat requires premium (no mention of being able to use regular). In my area, that's a 20-40 cent difference per gallon. Also, the R/T has active exhaust, so it will have a similar exhaust sound to that of the Scat. Good luck on your decision. It's one that many of us would like to have!
My 2015 R/T requires 87 octane with 89 recommended.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Like BobCollette said above, the RT has the active exhaust and I can not tell the difference between the RT and Scat with respect to sound. If you want the extra power go for the scat. 0-60 between 4.0-4.4 seconds. The RT is around 4.9-5.2 seconds to 60mph. You have to figure if the extra few tenths of a second faster scat is worth it. Gas will not get cheaper in the coming years unfortunately. Resale is another consideration. In my area the Scats have not depreciated that much from MSRP. Most likely, like said, it is one heck of a performance value.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I haven’t driven a R/T
Simple solution: Test drive the R/T, then a Scat. On the same day, if possible. You will instantly know if you want to spend the extra $$. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Both the same year? 2019 Scat Packs had the upgraded electronics, similar to the Hellcats, and well worth the money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the collective wisdom! I’ve decided on the 2021 Scat Pack, I’m ordering it in Smoke Show Gray. I think it’s worth it because of how well they hold their value and the extra power. I’ll post pics in ~2 months when it arrives (apparently there’s an international microchip shortage so that’s great).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts