Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dodge Charger 07. 2.7 v6... me and my fiance have recently tore down the motor to the pistons. Cleaned it all up. Put it back together... Replaced the timing chain, coils, spark plugs. Made sure timing is proper. Replaced fuel filter. She is receiving fuel. We also Replaced the air box for the spectre air intake set up. Did an oil and oil filter change. As far as we are concerned everything is working up to par. Went from no codes to codes to no codes and codes again. The last time we startred it up we got a bunch of air codes even though everything was cleaned and put back together...But we are tired of trying to find the problem and replace everything, when what we do doesnt work. The symptoms include when you turn it on the rpms fluctuate and the car stalls out. Now we have to jump it to even get it started. We are noticing that our alternator is reading around 14 or so with the multimeter but everything else is around 11.3 or something like that. We have also checked fuses and relays.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So what is the voltage AT the battery terminals?
It's been about two weeks since we've worked on the car, but if I'm not mistaken 11.3 like everything else. We just thought since we haven't been driving it since like the end of November as to why it needs a jump every time now. When it first started messing up it was having slow start up. Took like 10 turn overs to get it running. We thought that was cause of the cold. Then I was on my way home near the end of November from a wake about an hour away from my home and as soon as I was 20 minutes away it was having problems decelerating. About five minutes from home I come to a red light the car totally shuts off. Every time we had to stop to get it home it stalled out. But giving it gas made it stay on.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Every time we had to stop to get it home it stalled out. But giving it gas made it stay on.
When this happened with my 6-cylinder Jeep Grand Cherokee it turned out to be the PCM (powertrain control module).
Could be a air/vacuum leak somewhere. Check all the air/vacuum hoses and connections. Check the torque on the air intake manifold bolts.
Any new codes getting logged?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When this happened with my 6-cylinder Jeep Grand Cherokee it turned out to be the PCM (powertrain control module).
Could be a air/vacuum leak somewhere. Check all the air/vacuum hoses and connections. Check the torque on the air intake manifold bolts.
Any new codes getting logged?
We're thinking damaged wires or pcm. I don't remember all of the new codes I'd have to have him go hook it back up but I do remember one specific code p0660 and like five other codes in correlation to it.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
P0660 is for the manifold tuning valve (also referred to as a runner valve) solenoid circuit. Code can be logged for wiring/connector problems (ground, signal circuit open/short) or the manifold tuning valve solenoid.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think you have a wiring issue. If you have 14v at the alternator and only 11.3 everywhere else, you have a connection issue somewhere.
Bought an '06 Charger with similar conditions. Some hack mechanic had previously worked on the car an apparently pulled the engine. Instead of disconnecting the starter cable that runs from the passenger fender to the starter on the drivers side, they just cut it between the fender and the engine. Then they spliced it back together with one of those battery terminal repair kits. Bought another "one piece" cablewith and replaced it correctly. Still, it would barely crank itself over even with a hot battery. At the time that was minor. I had bigger issues with the engine. Finally pulled it and found all kinds of other issues. When I pulled the new engine, I found that there was a heavy ground cable that runs from the rear of the strut tower stud to a studded bolt on the transmission. Mine was totally missing this cable. Snagged it with the engine. Once everything was installed, starter spun over like mad and it started first time everytime. It's easy to miss. I would verify that first because that is the main ground source from the body to the engine. The battery is grounded to the body in the trunk. With the engine sitting on rubber mounts, only puny 16ga wires are left for grounding which isn't good, especially since it is back feeding through the computer most likely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts