Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I purchased a replica srt8 it was cheap and said had minor imperfect, well i took it to the a local shop to get it painted, the guy got the paint code from the door and so on. When i went back to get it installed the hood looked darker than the rest of the car, I todl the guy he said he used the right paint and he said it was because of the sun it burns the paint and clear coat so thats why the new paint on the hood looked darker. Also in some angels and with diffrent light it doesnt look as diffrent but it does in direct sunlight and looking at it straight on. My car is an 06 so its about four years old, can some one give me some input on this, see if its true or if the guy did not use the exact paint. Also we had some trouble alignin it and it did not fit exact. here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I dont think I could live with that, you should have left them the car and got the hood painted and blended it into fenders.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Of course it going to look different! Your paint is almost 5 years old. I have an 06 as well, and if I were going to get an srt8 hood I would wait until I had the whole car painted.
Its normal wear n tear. The sun is damaging to the paint. I take it you dont wash your car yourself. The sun will bake any residue and burn your clearcoat. Like bird shit for example. Leave that on your paint in the blistering sun.
Bottom line is, no way a 5 year old paint job is going to look as BOLD and glossy as a fresh coat.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
It does look suspicious though..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, im just trying to make sure that the guy did do it right and he was just saying that so he would have problems or have to re do it.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
The guy did not lie...paint will lighten over time. He can blend that into the fenders and front fascia though and you would not be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i had same issue when i painted my blazer but mine was lighter than i wanted, i was told it had to do with what kind of primer they used some are dark or lighter than others and that slight difference is only noticable with the lighter paint colors

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thats unacceptable a difference, it needs to be blended or lightened. It's not his fault that it ended up that way, but he should have TOLD you that from the beginning.

·
Registered
897 Posts
ya man he should blend that for you. and you may want to do something about that condensation in your light housing !

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Man, that sucks. He should have foreseen this.
Why didnt he blend?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the inpute, I part of it was my fault to cuz I just told him to paint the hood, I went back and told him about it and he is going to blend it into the fender and facia, Ill post some pics after should have back tomr.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Good deal, very ethical decision of the body shop.

·
Banned
1,959 Posts
at least ur gunna get it fixed. the same thing happend with my front bumper. i couldnt be without my car for more then 5 days so i had to leave the new bumper with him. but you really cant tell that its different shades. but with urs dam !!! you cann tell right away. glad u gettin it fixed!

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
I dont think I could live with that, you should have left them the car and got the hood painted and blended it into fenders.
X2, thats why I had mine painted satin black.. I knew if they painted it body color they would have to blend it in with the fenders.. Take it back most decent shops guarantee their work..

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Looks a lot better that's a nice looking hood

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Now that is sexy looking!!!! Good job brother! REPs!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys, yeah i liked the results, I just got the hood and a week before that i got some magnum srt rims on it, ill post some pics once i have all cleaned up and im also waiting on the hood bezel so it can be complete should get it on tuesday.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts