Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have an 06 charger 5.7 with a bad engine.
And I have a crashed 05 300c with a 5.7
Do I need to use the wire harness from the 05 300c or will the 06 harness work ?
Also do I need to swap the trans also ?
They are both 5.7's but different one has the vet and the other is the meds.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I kinda thought that you might have been trying to say "VVT" and "MDS".

But they both have MDS and neither one has VVT, so...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Look both engines over carefully for any obvious differences. Off the top of my head, your '06 Charger uses coil packs while the '05 300C uses a coil and plug wires. That's not a deal breaker but it's something to keep in mind.

Check your accessories, intake, vacuum lines, exhaust manifolds, sensors, etc.

You should plan on using your original wiring harness and just swapping over as many pieces as you have to from your bad engine to the working one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well one of my concerns is what to do about the coil pack and plugs and wire difference. It looks like the plug in for the coils are different.
Next is I'm guessing I will need to use the 05 computer and will the 06 transmission work with the 05 computer ?
Or do I need to swap out the trans too ?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I wouldn't try to work with the '05 coil and plug wires. Probably easier to swap over the valve covers and coil packs from the '06, so you can use the original wiring.

According to car-part.com, the transmissions are the same, as long as both cars are the same drive type.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Everything is the same except the valve covers and and coils. Swap over your valve covers and coil packs and hook everything up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much for your help.
I'm actualy a fairly knowledgeable chevy guy but sometimes you just can't pass up a god deal and I wasn't wanting it to turn into a nightmare.
So thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts