Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking why would someone buy an SRT8 to change the motor, trans, and suspension to make a faster car? If your going to replace all the mechanicals why not start with an R/T and build from that platform? Me personally, all I would want is a 12 1/5 second street car that rides nice......A race car doesn't make a street car, and a street car doesn't make a race car:3-smoke: JMO

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I think everyone buys their car and has different interest. If we all thought exactly the same, everyone's Charger would look very similar.

I respect the "work" people put into their car. The money, time and effort is what I respect....even if it's something I would personally do or not.

There are alot of work put into the Chargers on this forum. At the end of the day, as long as the owner is happy...that is all that matters.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well put, man. :TU:

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Well the SRT does have brembo's and better seats inside. The 6.1 motor itself is also a stronger platform than the 5.7. I'm not sure exactly how but all the engine builders say so, so I beilieve them. You can't take a 5.7L motor and stroke it out to a 426. and if you can it won't be reliable. Quite a few who do mod their 6.1 suspension usually offer it up to us 5.7 guys. and were all pretty happy to take them off their hands. Also the 6.1 has different gears in the rear end than our 5.7's do. So if I could do it all over again i'd go with an SRT8 too. I'd just have alot less to upgrade than I do now. Small mods to the motor and small mods to the suspension. instead of a ton of mods to the motor and suspension. not to mention the cost to upgrade brakes. So I don't know I guess different reasons for different people. makes sense to some and not to others. nothing wrong with that at all.

Just thinking why would someone buy an SRT8 to change the motor, trans, and suspension to make a faster car? If your going to replace all the mechanicals why not start with an R/T and build from that platform? Me personally, all I would want is a 12 1/5 second street car that rides nice......A race car doesn't make a street car, and a street car doesn't make a race car:3-smoke: JMO

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I think everyone buys their car and has different interest. If we all thought exactly the same, everyone's Charger would look very similar.

I respect the "work" people put into their car. The money, time and effort is what I respect....even if it's something I would personally do or not.

There are alot of work put into the Chargers on this forum. At the end of the day, as long as the owner is happy...that is all that matters.
X2. There are certain reasons for everyone.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts

EXACTLY, but some people are never happy with their cars. They always want to make them Better (in ther view) I really respect people that stray from the masses to work on what They think is cool and what They think is worth it!:TU:

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
^^^You sir, are correct!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe missing the original point. Customizing to the point where the car cannot be put back to stock or numbers matching devalues the car to a third of what it cost to make it custom. Why spend the extra money on a SRT8 car only to destroy the original vehicle. In a world of disposable products, it makes no sense to tear up a future classic.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I look at it as a hobby; not an investment. We all know we cannot/ will not get a financial return on the money invested in superchargers, strokers, etc. Many of us just have to get that next 10 hp, and then the 5 after that. If you see cars as disposable appliances, I suggest you shop for a Camry or an Accord...great cars, but not something an enthusiast would probably consider. I don't plan on ever selling my car, so quite frankly I don't give a DAMN if it "devalues my car to a third of what it cost."

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I look at it as a hobby; not an investment. We all know we cannot/ will not get a financial return on the money invested in superchargers, strokers, etc. Many of us just have to get that next 10 hp, and then the 5 after that. If you see cars as disposable appliances, I suggest you shop for a Camry or an Accord...great cars, but not something an enthusiast would probably consider. I don't plan on ever selling my car, so quite frankly I don't give a DAMN if it "devalues my car to a third of what it cost."
X2 I bought my car to drive it and make it "better" in my eyes. I didn't buy to sell it later to get a return, I bought it to keep it or to hold onto it as long as possible!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I also hate it when I tell people that I'm gonna Change something on my car and they get all upset and ask me "why it's limited edition! Leave it alone it's gonna lose it's value and your gonna mess it up!" I say in return, "Good thing its not your car then!"

Reactions: brandar75

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I also hate it when I tell people that I'm gonna Change something on my car and they get all upset and ask me "why it's limited edition! Leave it alone it's gonna lose it's value and your gonna mess it up!" I say in return, "Good thing its not your car then!"
...Preachin' to the choir, brother! :D

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
You can look at cars as its KBB value or as fun value. Personally I bought my car to keep as my own forever, so I change things that I know I'll enjoy, the money I put into it may never be recoupable if I sold the car (which I never will) but I enjoy every penny I spent on her every day I drive her.

Anyone can keep a car mint, the way they bought it, put it in the garage and it looks like every other car on the dealers lot. But those who go beyond that and make that car into something completely their own (whether other people like it or not) I have much more respect for, those are the real enthusiasts.

just my opinion.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Honestly it lost value as soon as it left the lot. We don't know if these cars will be classics or not. Only time will tell...

·
Registered
6,842 Posts

AMEN!!

:popc:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Disposable appliances, Not at all. I unfortunately just sold my 71 Chevelle SS 454 after 10 years of ownership, not because I wanted to but financial times forced the decision. You can't say you will never sell your car as things just happen. As far as a foreign car, your a funny guy.:gy:

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
LOL...well, it just seems like the Japanese have the car appliance market locked up, unless you consider the Impala, or even the new Taurus. Unforeseen circumstances would be the only way I would sell mine, as well. Mine is my "toy". I don't drive it everyday; I have a work truck for that. I have gone through 2 daily drivers in the time I have owned my Charger. I hope to keep it and continue to personalize it for years to come. :TU:

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I bought my SRT8 knowing that I would never trade or sell it. It's MY car. I would sell a kidney or half my liver before my car. If I had the finances and a shorter commute to work I would have done an engine swap months ago. If you want more power and performance why not start with the top performer then mod it out for more?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts