Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Charger R/T owner here in Arizona. Just finally picked up a 2016 R/T plus. Finally got my car....long wait and long time coming. I joined this Forum to learn some things about adding performance parts, common repair issues and any tips/tactics. Thanks for letting me join!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Welcome to the Z, from Pittsburgh! Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Welcome from Tucson.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Welcome. You kind of asked so..............

No a cold air intake and headers is not going to give you large HP gains. A tune does not give you large HP gains.
Hacking and chopping the exhaust only makes more noise and sometimes very annoying in the cabin.
Yes HP is expensive.
But, we all have our preferences, hopes, and dreams.

The 1st thing I did to my R/T was install a Corsa exhaust and get a dyno tune. I wish I would have went from my 2.65 gears to the 3.06 gears I run now.
A tune will add some power but it mostly enhances the responsiveness and how she winds out.

Now if you have the budget for a supercharger, well then............ 6 to 7k if you install it, 12k at most shops.

But for starters for some...... A tune, quality cat back exhaust will add to the fun. If you have 2.65 gears, going to 3.06 from there will enhance even more. 3.06's are not radical or a big hit to mpg either.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome. You kind of asked so..............

No a cold air intake and headers is not going to give you large HP gains. A tune does not give you large HP gains.
Hacking and chopping the exhaust only makes more noise and sometimes very annoying in the cabin.
Yes HP is expensive.
But, we all have our preferences, hopes, and dreams.

The 1st thing I did to my R/T was install a Corsa exhaust and get a dyno tune. I wish I would have went from my 2.65 gears to the 3.06 gears I run now.
A tune will add some power but it mostly enhances the responsiveness and how she winds out.

Now if you have the budget for a supercharger, well then............ 6 to 7k if you install it, 12k at most shops.

But for starters for some...... A tune, quality cat back exhaust will add to the fun. If you have 2.65 gears, going to 3.06 from there will enhance even more. 3.06's are not radical or a big hit to mpg either.

Enjoy.

I appreciate the info.... if im understanding you correctly adding cat back exhaust and dyno tune will add some fun and a little power-not much. If I want serious HP gains then a supercharger is the way. Let me know if I misunderstood you. Will supercharger reak havoc on the 5.7 internally?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I appreciate the info.... if im understanding you correctly adding cat back exhaust and dyno tune will add some fun and a little power-not much. If I want serious HP gains then a supercharger is the way. Let me know if I misunderstood you. Will supercharger reak havoc on the 5.7 internally?
Actually I'm not interested in adding any more HP to the car and I'm not interested in Drag race times. I'm more interested in handling than HP so more interested in autoctoss or track day events like wild horse pass road courses. Thanks for your response anyway

·
Registered
888 Posts
On stock non-forged internals keep it below 7psi boost and run good premium on a reputable tune.
Mines @6+ psi and fun enough for me.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Western NY and congrats on your R/T. Like you, I value handling over performance. I previously owned an '06 Daytona, largely because it had the Road and Track package (and was on my dealer's lot). I custom ordered a '15 Rallye which I'm currently driving. Although it's the 3.6L V6, it feels almost as fast and responsive as my old Daytona, probably because of the 8-speed transmission. Fortunately, I'm less than a 2 hour drive from the Watkins Glen racetrack. Every year my college alumni association hosts a track day at the Glen. It's a blast driving around the 3.4 mile road course. We get a wide variety of vehicles participating, from several late model Vettes, a Ligenfelter Vette, a GT350, a Challenger SRT, and many others. I hope you can find a track out there that will allow you to "play".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts