Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

After waiting for weeks on a pypes Smc-12S - they were on back order. I finally got it just before I had to go on a business trip. Anxiously awaiting to get home & put it on, I tore into it today.

I put the car up on 4 ramps and took off the old exhaust in one piece in about an hour or so. Then I put a stick on heat shield on the driver's side of the gas tank, & swapped all the rubber hangers. After about 4 hours of trying to fit & line the damn thing up, I finally got it on. the passenger side is ok, but the drivers side just touches the trunk floor, and is only about 1/4 inch from the rear cross brace. So upon any accelleration, or bump, you get a rattle. There is also a leak up front by the X-pipe & I tightened the clams with an impact, then a 1/2 inch ratchet after got it the best I could. It just does not seem like it's tight enough up front. The entire system seems to be about an inch or so too short,and the exhaust hangers are all pulling in different directions angles. It looked great on the floor, but not hanging under my car.

Mine also did not fit with the black bracket that spanned the center below the stock exhaust up front - neither did theirs now that I look at the web site.

When using the band clamps I only inserted the pipes about 1/8" or so past the cutouts that allow the band clamps to compress.

Right now I'm so fristrated, I'm thinking of calling up Pypes Monday & see if they will take the system back & then go with a magnaflow or have an exhaust shop just do it.

I went with it because it was a good price & true duals. Right now I only have this & a CAI on it. I can say this. It has a nice aggressive sound & deep tone, but the fit is shitty. I did notice this though, there did not seem to be any losss (if it was, it was very minimal), but the midrange picked up significantly.

I drove it tonight & the wife thinks its too loud.

If they won't take it back, I'll have to take it to an exhaust shop & have them fix it or put it on craigslist - I'm just done with this.

Keep in mind, I'm not someone trying to work on something like this for the first time. I'm very mechanically inclined, but this is by no means an easy bolt on.

I should have looked on their website - it shows the condition I have: Look on the left side.

Not trying to be too negative, but Just wanted everyone to know my experience.

I can't remember the last time I've been this disappointed in a purchase.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
That is bad news brother...Hope everything works out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Dude that sux... I was sooo gonna buy some PYPES. But ended up getting an SLP Loudmouth 2, lovin it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update...........

Had the exhaust tweaked by a local guy. It took A LOT of adjustment, twisting, etc. The hangers arent't perefectly straight, but we wanted to make sure nothing touched & then we'll cut / weld / bend those.

As for the sound, there is a lot of drone between 2 & 3000 RPMs. but it sounds great when you want it to & mash it.

After a 400 mile trip this weekend, the wife thinks it's a bit loud but said we'll get used to it.

As for losing power with true duals, I say no way. All i have done to mine is a CAI, and the exhaust. A couple of weeks ago, I put on new tires & went to 255/55/18's. After I put them on, I tried & could'nt spin them at all from a dead stop on dry pavement. After the exhaust, I can spin them from a dead dig. Even if it did lose, I'd say it easily made up for it in the mid range.

Other than the fitment it's a pretty good exhaust. I'd like to hear the race pro instead of the street pro mufflers. They are a straight through, not chambered design & should be a bit quieter ?

Anyways, just thought I'd give an update.

Mileage looks to be about the same or better. I'll check it when I put gas in tomorrow. I didn't do a mileage run on the e-way, but I'll see where it stands. Right now I'm at about 5/8 of a tank after 230 miles.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I was going to suggest taking it to a shop to do some alignment etc. So I am happy to see you got it sorted.
The body brace in the middle also did not fit with my magnaflows, so I fabricated one out of a flat bar about 1.5 inch wide and 5 or 6mm thick i purchased from Home Depot. I just bent it in my neighbours little press and drilled the mounting holes. I painted it black. Works great.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
I glad it worked out in the end. I have read it was tricky when going to a true dual system with the Pypes Brand but every time it has seemed to work out in the end. Like your shop did they just need to tweak it a bit.

Definitly losing the brace is a must. They even recomend it.

If you go to my site you can hear a sound clip of the Racepro set up on a 5.7.

If you have any issues let me know and i can contact Pypes for you.

Who did you get it from?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Update...........

Had the exhaust tweaked by a local guy. It took A LOT of adjustment, twisting, etc. The hangers arent't perefectly straight, but we wanted to make sure nothing touched & then we'll cut / weld / bend those.

As for the sound, there is a lot of drone between 2 & 3000 RPMs. but it sounds great when you want it to & mash it.

After a 400 mile trip this weekend, the wife thinks it's a bit loud but said we'll get used to it.

As for losing power with true duals, I say no way. All i have done to mine is a CAI, and the exhaust. A couple of weeks ago, I put on new tires & went to 255/55/18's. After I put them on, I tried & could'nt spin them at all from a dead stop on dry pavement. After the exhaust, I can spin them from a dead dig. Even if it did lose, I'd say it easily made up for it in the mid range.

Other than the fitment it's a pretty good exhaust. I'd like to hear the race pro instead of the street pro mufflers. They are a straight through, not chambered design & should be a bit quieter ?

Anyways, just thought I'd give an update.

Mileage looks to be about the same or better. I'll check it when I put gas in tomorrow. I didn't do a mileage run on the e-way, but I'll see where it stands. Right now I'm at about 5/8 of a tank after 230 miles.
Had you taken it to a shop to start with, you'd have saved alot of pain. exhaust is an art just like paint and body.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I glad it worked out in the end. I have read it was tricky when going to a true dual system with the Pypes Brand but every time it has seemed to work out in the end. Like your shop did they just need to tweak it a bit.

Definitly losing the brace is a must. They even recomend it.

If you go to my site you can hear a sound clip of the Racepro set up on a 5.7.

If you have any issues let me know and i can contact Pypes for you.

Who did you get it from?

Thanks Slayer - I wish I would have known that you guys had a deal going on on this, I definitley am a supported of anyone on the forumz.

I got it from autoparts dealer.com It shipped straight from pypes.

Patrick - good advice. I typically don't have a problem with stuff like this, but this was all bad :4-dontknow:

Actually, I did not even take it to an exhaust shop. Just a small guy who's recently opened a shop & was recommended by a co-worker. The guy was very detail oriented and wanted to get it right not just get it done.

:TU: Two thumbs up to Mike at matrix auto repair on Grossebeck in Fraser, MI. I'm going to go back & see him to get the final tweaks. & possibly switch to mufflerrs to quiet it down a bit.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Thanks Slayer - I wish I would have known that you guys had a deal going on on this, I definitley am a supported of anyone on the forumz.

I got it from autoparts dealer.com It shipped straight from pypes.

Patrick - good advice. I typically don't have a problem with stuff like this, but this was all bad :4-dontknow:

Actually, I did not even take it to an exhaust shop. Just a small guy who's recently opened a shop & was recommended by a co-worker. The guy was very detail oriented and wanted to get it right not just get it done.

:TU: Two thumbs up to Mike at matrix auto repair on Grossebeck in Fraser, MI. I'm going to go back & see him to get the final tweaks. & possibly switch to mufflerrs to quiet it down a bit.
Let me know if you consider getting just the muffler. I can quote you a price.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You can also pick up the brace from SpeedLogix (vendor on this site). They have a Razors Edge brace that will clear larger exhausts.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i am also thinkin about doin Pypes for my 3.5... is the drone really bad though? i kno i want to do true duels but i was thinkin i might go with a custom job and some flowmaster 40's...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i am also thinkin about doin Pypes for my 3.5... is the drone really bad though? i kno i want to do true duels but i was thinkin i might go with a custom job and some flowmaster 40's...

In my car, the drone is quore bad.......at 2-3000 rpms it is somewhat annoying.

Of course, I have the SE+ that only has the 4 speed trans, so it may be different with the 5 speed ?

It has just a slight hum if you set the cruise about 73 or so. get to 77 with the cruise & it's quite loud.

However, I have had some compliments on the looks & the sound.........So I'm kinda getting used to it.

The wife thinks it's just a tad loud, but cool.

I may have slayer 213 order me some race pro mufflers this winter - they are supposed to be quieter.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
In my car, the drone is quore bad.......at 2-3000 rpms it is somewhat annoying.

Of course, I have the SE+ that only has the 4 speed trans, so it may be different with the 5 speed ?

It has just a slight hum if you set the cruise about 73 or so. get to 77 with the cruise & it's quite loud.

However, I have had some compliments on the looks & the sound.........So I'm kinda getting used to it.

The wife thinks it's just a tad loud, but cool.

I may have slayer 213 order me some race pro mufflers this winter - they are supposed to be quieter.

Hope this helps.
Let me know when your ready and i'll hook ya up.

·
Registered
357 Posts
hmm where can i obtain a heat shield from... do you sell it on your site 213? also did you recieve my payment? was wonderin when the pypes will ship :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts