Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to put new gears in my 2016 R/T. Worth it? How easy is it to do? Anyone know of a reputable mechanic in the ATL area? I’d like a little more acceleration. I believe they only offer like a 2.62 or a 3.07. Any info/tips would be great. Also are headers worth it on a daily driver?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Any of the ZF differentials are a direct bolt in with no other parts or tuning needed . 3.09,3.70, and 3.90 LSD’s
from the 6.4 and 6.2 cars . I swapped out the 2.62 open to a 3.09 LSD in my 18 R/T. figure on 3 hrs labor

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bolt on palace? How do you like the 3.09 LSD vs the stock(I believe 2.62). Why not 3.70 posi traction?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Bolt on palace? How do you like the 3.09 LSD vs the stock(I believe 2.62). Why not 3.70 posi traction?
I don’t know what bolt on palace means.
I picked the 3.09 because I will most likely go with a PD style SC and the 3.70 would have too much gear multiplication with that type of SC . I think the 3.70 is a good choice for light to no engine mods cars .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a figure of speech meaning easy bolt on installation. How much did the gas mileage decrease with the 3.09’s? The ZF is just a brand of diff gears? These are factory mopar gears? I’m leaning towards the 3.09 to get mileage and a little more power. I only have an afe intake and cat back borla atak.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just a figure of speech meaning easy bolt on installation. How much did the gas mileage decrease with the 3.09’s? The ZF is just a brand of diff gears? These are factory mopar gears? I’m leaning towards the 3.09 to get mileage and a little more power. I only have an afe intake and cat back borla atak.
I did not note an mpg change . ZF is the maker of the differential . in the 15 up cars you change out the complete rear end. you can’t change the gears only as the ring and pinions are not available . If you make this change it will feel like it makes a bigger difference than it really does . I think the 5.7’s should have come with the 3.09 . a gear change is definitely a good mod . if you don’t plan more mods get the 3.70 . bonus is it’s about 500.00 cheaper than the 3.09
Edit.. I just did some checking and the 3.70 is 200.00 cheaper . 1,299.00 at Speedlogix. These swaps are very popular and the prices have gone up a lot recently

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all info. What were the prices when u did yours? I think I will go with the 3.70. Not sure why they come stock with the 2.62. Like you said, at the very least should’ve been the 3.09

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went on speedlogix site, for the 5.7’s it’s $2700 for the 3.7 diff, both axels, and driveshaft. Do I need all that if I just want higher gear ratio? $2700 is too steep

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just went on speedlogix site, for the 5.7’s it’s $2700 for the 3.7 diff, both axels, and driveshaft. Do I need all that if I just want higher gear ratio? $2700 is too steep
No do not buy that package you don’t need it. buy the differential only .prices can change a lot in a few months. check Speedlogix, Tasca parts, Rock Auto and Steve White parts . don’t be afraid to call for a better price . also the 3.70 Comes stock in the M6 Hellcat and some guys go to the 3.90 so check out SRT Hellcat forums for sale ads for those and 3.09’s

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again, did you notice a big difference with the 309’s? Or would you go 370’s? I use mine as daily driver so I don’t want my mileage to be 10mpg on hwy hahaha. But I also probably won’t do any more engine mods. Maybe a turbo down the road.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks again, did you notice a big difference with the 309’s? Or would you go 370’s? I use mine as daily driver so I don’t want my mileage to be 10mpg on hwy hahaha. But I also probably won’t do any more engine mods. Maybe a turbo down the road.
No mods to turbo is a big swing ! the 3.09’s are a nice improvement without an mpg hit . if you’re not sure be safe and go with 3.09’s
and yes you will feel a difference

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did more research, I have a 2.62 with 220mm axels.

The 3.09 on eBay is 3.09 230mm with 9.05” ring gear.

I’m not doubting it will bolt up, just want to double check with what your saying to be true. I don’t need any other parts? Maybe a sweet carbon fiber drive shaft?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Did more research, I have a 2.62 with 220mm axels.

The 3.09 on eBay is 3.09 230mm with 9.05” ring gear.

I’m not doubting it will bolt up, just want to double check with what your saying to be true. I don’t need any other parts? Maybe a sweet carbon fiber drive shaft?
I have same car as you but it’s an 18 and I did the same swap.2.62 to 3.09 LSD. no other parts needed.
220 or 230 mm refers to the size of the ring gear not axle size .

·
Registered
273 Posts
Also, the 230 mm diffs are known to have a little gear whine at 40-60 mph under light throttle . changing to a heavier lube can help . not all do it but if you get one that does don’t be alarmed it won’t fail its just annoying.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for your info and help. Dealerships don’t help worth a damn, they don’t know anything about modifying their own cars they sell. Boggles the mind really. I think I will buy that used one on eBay for $629. He said it came off a challenger with 33k miles on it. No mechanical damage. Just some cosmetic “grease” marks. I saw 2 more on there for $900 something. Brand new might be way to go due to you may get a warranty with it? Not sure. I found used parts/merchandise is usually the way to go especially at half the cost.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks again for your info and help. Dealerships don’t help worth a damn, they don’t know anything about modifying their own cars they sell. Boggles the mind really. I think I will buy that used one on eBay for $629. He said it came off a challenger with 33k miles on it. No mechanical damage. Just some cosmetic “grease” marks. I saw 2 more on there for $900 something. Brand new might be way to go due to you may get a warranty with it? Not sure. I found used parts/merchandise is usually the way to go especially at half the cost.
You’re welcome.. come back to this thread with your impressions on the gear swap.. you’re gonna like it !

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Read over an old post of another confirmed 309 rear diff install. Leaning 370’s now, but want to know if I need to tune tranny. Sounds like that Ben guy who threw in the 390’s had to tune his. Wondering if 370’s you can get away with not tuning?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Read over an old post of another confirmed 309 rear diff install. Leaning 370’s now, but want to know if I need to tune tranny. Sounds like that Ben guy who threw in the 390’s had to tune his. Wondering if 370’s you can get away with not tuning?
No tuning needed... with any gear change.. will it help ? sure but not mandatory .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts