Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I do not own a Charger but have been looking at purchasing a 6th Gen. Around here prices go from 950-up depending on if it’s running or not. Some decent Police packages are 5K. So what I’m looking for is a project. Something I can soup up but not old enough to have a ton of rust. I grew up working on old cars and my last project was a 67 Chevelle I restored 30 years ago so I’m pretty mechanically inclined. So my questions are: is it feasible to buy a V6 car in good shape cheap and do a hemi swap or just buy a RT or police package car and build that up/repair? Is there certain 6th Gens I should avoid? Will a larger Hemi fit in a 5.7 car without a lot of mods? Finally repairing a 5.7, how hard is it dealing with the computers? I worked on a lot of muscle cars but none of this ECM/PCM stuff. Thanks in advance. I’m sure I’ll have more questions later.

· Registered
2015 Rallye with Plus Package
4,143 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Western NY. I have never modified any of my vehicles, but from what I've read, it's really not feasible to upgrade a V6 vehicle to a Hemi; there are too many things that need to be changed. As others have mentioned, if you want a Hemi, start with a Hemi vehicle. There is a fair amount of upgrade equipment available for the Hemi, but not much for the V6.

· Registered
2013 R/T Max
700 Posts
I'd look for an R/T instead of a police car.
Idling is the killer of Hemi engines, and police cars have tons of idle hours usually. Add the lack of creature comforts and police wiring and you have a lot to make it a 'civilian' car.
I'd also avoid AWD if you want to hot rod it.

· Registered
1 Posts
Welcome!! I have a 06 6.1 Charger and over the last 10 years I've heard that the 6.1 has less problems than the 5.7, and people that have the 5.7 always end up upgrading with 6.1 parts. Right now I'm doing a cam swap (SRTMaxPlus cam) everything is so easy to work on! The 5.7 is more difficult to work on than the 6.1 if you ask me. Also I wouldn't recommend the V6 because if you do the upgrade with the motor then you'll have to upgrade the whole drivetrain. Good luck and hmu if anymore questions 🍻
Hello I do not own a Charger but have been looking at purchasing a 6th Gen. Around here prices go from 950-up depending on if it’s running or not. Some decent Police packages are 5K. So what I’m looking for is a project. Something I can soup up but not old enough to have a ton of rust. I grew up working on old cars and my last project was a 67 Chevelle I restored 30 years ago so I’m pretty mechanically inclined. So my questions are: is it feasible to buy a V6 car in good shape cheap and do a hemi swap or just buy a RT or police package car and build that up/repair? Is there certain 6th Gens I should avoid? Will a larger Hemi fit in a 5.7 car without a lot of mods? Finally repairing a 5.7, how hard is it dealing with the computers? I worked on a lot of muscle cars but none of this ECM/PCM stuff. Thanks in advance. I’m sure I’ll have more questions later.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Charger RT AWD Plus
41 Posts
i would either go for a 5.7 eagle(2009+) or for a 6.1 hemi. The fun thing about the Hemi line is it is like lego blocks. The 6.4 cam will fit in the 5.7, the 6.1 crank should be interchangeable with the 5.7, the 6.1 is just a bored out 5.7 with 74cc heads. There are tons of possibilities when it comes to these motors. My best suggestion would be a 6.1 and swap the pistons for forged, the crank is forged, cam is almost identical to the 6.4L, just add boost and/or nos and you'll have a gas guzzler that gives you smiles/gallon

· Registered
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T in Go Mango #3077-4000
16 Posts
I own an 06 Daytona R/T that I’ve modified to my liking I guess it just depends what you want to do, I’ve seen these cars 6.1 swapped,6.4 swapped and hellcat swapped hell the ones they used in Fast 5 for the bank vault had LS engines ,I would like to do the 6.4 down the road myself.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

· Registered
222 Posts
I started with an awd hemi pursuit because well I wanted awd and the price was right. I did add 300C seats and carpet and normal charger console for comfort as well as navigation and bigger screem. Unlike older police cars and Fords the pursuits sit somewhere between RT and plain so they already have leather wheel, auto headlights and one touch windows etc and decent interior other then the seats and rubber floor.
For year I like the looks of 2011-14 best but go with whatever you like. 2014+ pursuits got improved brakes but they can be added to older years and non pursuit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts