Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I went into a Sears Auto with my 2010 Charger SE (50k miles) a while ago and paid to replace my rear two tires. One of my rear tires had blown and I got there on a spare. They replace the tires and I drive for several days but the TPMS light still won't go away. So I take it back to the Sears people, and they want an additional 30 bucks to even take a look at what they messed up and the mechanics who put my new tires on have no idea as to what could possibly be going wrong. I said F that, and went home.

I refill all the tires myself to match the door, drive a few days - no dice. I have them refilled during an oil change a couple weeks later, personally verify each measurement, again, no dice.

I'm kind of in a jam, I definitely won't ever ever ever go back to a Sears auto center again, but in the meantime, I at least want to get this issue fixed up. What are the next steps to troubleshoot this?

- Can I reset the TPMS? How would I go about this?
- How do I found which of the sensors is messed up if that's the case?

THANKS!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just shooting in the dark since my '13 is my first vehicle with the pressure sensors. It's possible they messed up one or both of the sensors. What do the pressures for those tires read in the EVIC? It's possible the blow out damaged one of the sensors. It may be time for a visit to the dealer. FYI, Sears has been in trouble several times over the years for their auto centers scamming people.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Tiny, I believe the 2010 doesn't show which tire has the TPMS issue. It's just a warning light. I would say that either they screwed up the sensor, or as Tiny said it may have been damaged in the blowout. You can't reset it. If the sensor is bad, it is going to throw a light no matter what. It most likely is one of the sensors on the two new tires. You should be able to tell which tires they replaced. Just get 2 new sensors and have them remount the tires with the new sensors. You can find them a lot cheaper on ebay than the dealer sells them for. Just make sure you get original OEM sensors

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
What Cuda said. And another possible solution is; did the sensor come on when the tire blew out and if so has it been on ever since? If it has been on since the blow out, you could disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and see if you just need to reset the computer. Most likely it was damaged but it does not cost anything to try.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
I think everyone hit the nail on the head basically. Disconnect the battery to reset things, and if that does not work, its probably not Sears fault, but a bum TPMS sensor that was on the blown tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts