Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my 2017 Charger Daytona’s stock 245/45/20 Goodyear F1s. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the BFG gForce Comp 2 A/S, General G Max AS-05 and Cooper Zeon RS3 G1. My question is can I/should I go any bigger? The harder question is which ones to pick. They all seem to have great reviews and are fairly comparable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you with my 17 Scat Pack GY Eagle RS-A2s. I have just under 30k miles and I'm currently shopping. I'm wanting to go up to 275/40s instead of my stock 245/45s. I spoke with a member who did the 275s on the 9 inch wheel and said there were no rub issues whatsoever. I notice a $20 bump in price per tire when you go from 245 to 275

I see you are looking at midgrade Ultra High Performance AS tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS

I am considering Max Summer tires which are a few dollars less per tire than the UHPAS. Unfortunately, Max Summer tires don't get any treadwear warranty. The UHPAS tires seem to get similar dry and wet numbers on TireRack, and they get at least a 45k or so mileage warranty. UHPAS also get the nod in ride comfort too.

As far as choosing, I check which manufacturers are running a rebate. I know General Tire is. The AS-05 is on the promo. Another tip is to check dealers. I had a Ford dealer give me the best deal on a set of Michelin tires for our 13 Explorer. I checked and Ford is offering a rebate on a set of tires, many brands are included. So even if a manufacturer doesn't have a promo running, you might find a retailer running a manufacturer type promotion.
$70 rebate on these brands: Goodyear, Michelin,® Hankook, Continental, Pirelli,® Bridgestone, Firestone, Yokohama,® Toyo,® Nitto®

·
Registered
63 Posts
I picked up the Cooper's last fall online at Discount Tire Direct when they were doing a $100 rebate. I think it cost me $525 with the rebate. Nice tires and a lot better in the rain than the OE Firestones I had.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Coopers or General g-max. Can't go wrong with either tire. IMO, the 245's are to small for the car. I opted for the 275/40r20's and I'm happy i did. Obviously the 6.4L has traction issues, so any help you can give it, the better you are.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coopers or General g-max. Can't go wrong with either tire. IMO, the 245's are to small for the car. I opted for the 275/40r20's and I'm happy i did. Obviously the 6.4L has traction issues, so any help you can give it, the better you are.
Do the 275s fit front and rear with no issues? No rubbing on the front? It looks like with dropping the sidewalk height, the overall diameter is roughly the same but want to make sure.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Do the 275s fit front and rear with no issues? No rubbing on the front? It looks like with dropping the sidewalk height, the overall diameter is roughly the same but want to make sure.
No rubbing front or rear with the 275's.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I just put on the G-Max AS-05's in stock 245/45/20 and have no complaints. Replacing the 235/55/18" Michelin Premier A/S I expected some comfort loss but it did not happen. I really like them. 200 miles so far.

Reactions: Stevens12

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I finally pulled the trigger. Went with General GMAX AS-05s in 275/40/20. I’ve only had them for 2 days but I can tell these grab better already. They’re much meatier than the stock tires. Still has a comfortable but sporty ride and not too much different than the Goodyears.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I picked up the Cooper's last fall online at Discount Tire Direct when they were doing a $100 rebate. I think it cost me $525 with the rebate. Nice tires and a lot better in the rain than the OE Firestones I had.
Hi MRTCharger, roughly how many miles did you get out of your OE Firestones? I've only done 15k and they look like they'll need replacing soon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Simon, I was at 30k miles when I swapped out. I could've done a few thou more, but winter was coming. I bought the car with 20k mi so maybe the previous owner was easy on the gas!

Reactions: Simon Butler

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone know if 275s would be an ideal replacement to the 245/45/20 on the '17 SXT Rallye, or should I just stick with the stock size? I have about 30k miles on the OEM Firestone Firehawk GTs and the rubber composition on these things suck @$%. Only 312hp and my rear end slides out from me on slightly cool, dry mornings getting onto the interstate.

Any recommendations are appreciated! I am also wondering if it's wise to replace the back two, wait a few months then replace the front two when I go to get my tires rotated. Ballin' on a budget here fellas.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Keep it simple, get rotations, wide sucks in the rain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So replacing two at a time with only a few months that in between is fine? And I live in Arizona so I don't have much rain to worry about. Would you still advise against them?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The width is a personal choice being more of a cosmetic thing, unless you are looking for traction at stand still launches.
I am not a fan of this. Wider is more unsprung weight, mph takes a hit, more gravel can be tossed up.
If you want the look it's all your choice. I like the looks, just not the side effects.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The width is a personal choice being more of a cosmetic thing, unless you are looking for traction at stand still launches.
I am not a fan of this. Wider is more unsprung weight, mph takes a hit, more gravel can be tossed up.
If you want the look it's all your choice. I like the looks, just not the side effects.
Thanks for the heads up! I just want more grip when I punch it honestly.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Gapi, don't be such a spoil sport, lol. j/k

Mr Snorlax, the 245 vs 275 question for you depends on your rim width.
The SXT and the R/T get a 20x8 inch wheel and a 245/45 tire. Dodge put the same 245/45 size tire on my wider 20x9 inch scat pack wheel. When I went to 275/40, it looks factory.
Your wheel being an inch narrower would probably have more sidewall bulge. Might look awesome, but I haven't witnessed the combo personally

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gapi, don't be such a spoil sport, lol. j/k

Mr Snorlax, the 245 vs 275 question for you depends on your rim width.
The SXT and the R/T get a 20x8 inch wheel and a 245/45 tire. Dodge put the same 245/45 size tire on my wider 20x9 inch scat pack wheel. When I went to 275/40, it looks factory.
Your wheel being an inch narrower would probably have more sidewall bulge. Might look awesome, but I haven't witnessed the combo personally
Thanks! Yeah actually the package on this shows 20" x 9" hellcat-style wheels with 245/45R20 tires. I'm still trying to figure out what to get without breaking the bank at the moment. Lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts