Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2008 SRT8 used a few months ago with 18k miles on it. I have 22k now and my brakes are squeaking.

I've seen many threads about the lousy brake pads and now I've set an appointment at my local Dodge dealer next weekend to have them looked at under warranty.

Am I wasting my time? I'd also like them to provide the updated flash tune to fix the premature shift into 2nd gear in regular automatic.

Love my SRT8 just hate the breaks!

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Not for sure about the SRT8 brakes but I had some issues with my rotors on my SE at 18,000 miles.

Welcome to the Z from North Florida.

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
If there the stock pads there Brembo and could be down to the scuffer to let you know it needs pads.Or at 18K it possible that someone changed them out already, I only got 22K on my stock original Brembo pads. Dodge only warranties breaks for 12K unless you had some other warranty arrangement.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
MY OEM pads lasted less than 12K miles. I called Steve at R1 and he hooked me up with some ceramic pads. No squeak, WAY less dust and still going strong at 32K miles.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
That mileage sounds about right for the life of my brakes too without the slotted rotors. The dealer says I will get even less life out of the new pads with the new slotted rotors (that they act like cheese graters). I don't know if I would call Brembos lousy, they are made for high performance vehicles. You could try a different pad but you will lose stopping power, although many claim you would only notice if you went the track and really pushed them. The dealer cost to replace them is outrageous. I would buy them online or see if the dealership will match the best online price (mine did).

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The dealer cost to replace them is outrageous. I would buy them online or see if the dealership will match the best online price (mine did).
I agree, the dealer will charge you upwards of $300+ just for the pads plus labor at $80/hr or so. I replaced mine with a set of Satisfied Pro Ceramic pads from BMC myself for about $130 and no complaints so far.

As far as the flash, you'll be charged for this and it may not help much. With the adaptive learning, you can pull fuse 11 (I think) and reset the memeory and the car will adapt to how you drive. If you have a heavy foot it will work that out.

OR, you can buy a predator tuner and do so much more. This is the best option IMO.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
I purchased my 2008 SRT8 used a few months ago with 18k miles on it. I have 22k now and my brakes are squeaking.

I've seen many threads about the lousy brake pads and now I've set an appointment at my local Dodge dealer next weekend to have them looked at under warranty.

Am I wasting my time? I'd also like them to provide the updated flash tune to fix the premature shift into 2nd gear in regular automatic.

Love my SRT8 just hate the breaks!
Well for the SRT at 22 thousand miles it seems about right time for the new set, seeing as how they are meant for performance i would imagine they are doing their job well. A dealership will always gouge, unless you have certain agreements, but i would just look into alternative methods, especially for SRT grade materials:TU:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I meant the brake pads when I posted this. I agree that Brembos are a good performance brand brake. Am probably going to cancel the appointment at the dealership now and get some aftermarket pads and have my local performance shop install them. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Did they replace the rotors under warranty?

Nope the rotors were only covered up to 12000 miles:4-dontknow:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fuse 11 worked great and what a difference shifting into 2nd! Much smoother... Thanks Chris Broom.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now I'm thinking it's just dirt and dust causing the squeaking because it's not spongey when I brake and this started over the weekend when I was forced to park in a dusty dirt lot at a local event.

Has pressure washing with a good wheel cleaner worked for anyone else for squeaky brakes?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was I supposed to pull fuse 11 out and leave it out? It's shifting wierd again in regluar auto.

·
H-D 883 IRON
12,781 Posts
Was I supposed to pull fuse 11 out and leave it out? It's shifting wierd again in regluar auto.

No you were suppose to put it back in.
BTW I have over 25,000 miles on myt Brembos and no problems. Of course I hardly use my brakes :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked at the pads and they look fine. I'm almost sure it's dust and dirt.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got over 30k on my SRT8 before replacing and thats with a lot of 1/4 mile runs over 100 mph. On the quick shifting, looks like it is time for you to get a Predator...cant imagine ever going back to a stock tune - yes, it makes a huge difference for the money

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Major squeaking is back. Satisfied Pro ceramic pads are on the way!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts