Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new here, just purchased my first Mopar. Recently pulled the trigger on a 2016 charger RT 5.7L. I’ve grown up on Ford and owned a mustang GT converted completely to Shelby/custom. I will never go back now! I do have questions though, I’m thinking about doing mid muffler FM 40s and reso delete, but am also looking at long tube headers, need opinions experiences with kooks, bbk, and any others - what type of performance gains, sound, and is there anything I need to be aware of? Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi 16micharger,

I will be picking up my 2016 charger this coming weekend. It is pretty much VERBOTEN to run headers here in California, but... If I were to run headers I'd go with TTI. You are going to want to contact them to verify if they even make them for modern cars yet.

From what I understand, you need to reprogram the car computer to account for the different flow/scavenging that headers provide compared to the stock exhaust manifold. Keep that in mind when you are budgeting for this.

I can do whatever I want with my Barracuda since I don't have to smog it, or pass any kind of inspection since it's pre-1975.

Best of luck, and make sure you get pictures of the install!

pics_or_it_didnt_happen.jpg

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
If you're installing long tubes you will want to get a custom tune. The long tubes have increased scavenging of the exhaust gases & will cause the AFR (air/fuel ratio) to run lean. The Hemi engine is different than the Ford MAF (mass air flow) system. The Hemi uses a Speed Density system (no MAF sensor) and the Speed Density Tables need to be updated to reflect changes to the engine. Simple bolt-on mods (e.g. CAI, Cat-back exhaust, etc...) can be done without a tune but the gains without a tune are minimal. Other modifications such as forced induction, cam, long tubes, etc... require a custom tune for the engine to run properly.
The PCM on 2015+ Hemi engines are software locked from the factory. You need a unlocked PCM in order to reflash it with a tuning device. DiabloSport has the unlocked PCMs & tuning devices but you need a tuning person to provide the custom tune.

https://www.diablosport.com/

https://www.hemifevertuning.com/Default.asp

1 - 3 of 3 Posts