Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit, 392 LSD diff, AFE, No cats 2.5 exhaust Dynomax bullet muffers
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of you here running big horsepower cars...
Being on a limited budget, I would like to just play around in the stock class at the track on weekends

What is the widest tire allowed by NHRA stock class or pure stock class

I believe my dodge charger 5.7 pursuit falls into “H” stock class

Years ago stock classes were allowed cheater slicks that were 7 inches wide maximum.
But everything has changed ...

I am not sure if running 10 or 11 inch wide street slicks would fall within the NHRA rules

Any help appreciated
Tony

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you are just going to play around on some weekends, get a set of drag radials ona spare set of rims and go bracket racing. Unless you want to run NHRA events, most tracks are not running class racing. I don’t know if they have a pure stock class anymore but pure stock means stock tires. You won’t get any good hole shots or be competitive racing with stock tires. Otherwise, if you are racing in an NHRA class, you need to be familiar with the NHRA rule book.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit, 392 LSD diff, AFE, No cats 2.5 exhaust Dynomax bullet muffers
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know...
I am not sure a basically stock 5.7 w a hemifever tune can be competitive in brackets?
But my knowledge is limited on the bracket classes

My budget won’t allow many upgrades...
I have straight exhaust, air mod....
About to put a 392 LSD differential ....

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Believe me, your best chance of being competitive is bracket racing. The only rules you will have to worry about are safety rules. It seems there are no pure stock classes anymore in NHRA. Only stock classes in your case. The stock classes are pretty competitive because the cars are basically built like race cars as far as motors, trans and suspension. There is no factored weight for a Charger but if you had a 5.7 Challenger, it would be considered to be 3600 lb minimum weight with a factored HP of 300 and falls in IS/A with an index of 12.2 seconds and a national record of 10.93 seconds @118 mph. NHRA classes are for serious racers. Here’s an overview from NHRA

STOCK
Stock cars are similar to Super Stockers, but the rules regarding everything from engine modifications to body alterations are much stricter. Virtually any car is eligible to compete, and entries are classified using a system that divides factory shipping weight by NHRA-factored horsepower. Bodies must be unaltered and retain a full factory interior. Tires are limited to a maximum 9-inch-wide rear slick. Engines must be correct for the make and model vehicle and must retain stock cylinder heads, intake manifold, and carburetor. Modifications are limited to a basic balancing and rebuild with only a few performance enhancements

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get it .... blueprinted engines .... etc $$$$$$
wow those record et’s for that Class are incredible ..

I will be looking into the bracket classes...

Thanks
Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts