Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed brake light fuse was blown..replaced..still nothing..then replaced brake pedal switch and all tail light bulbs still nothing..

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Could be a short in the wiring harness/connectors somewhere that caused the blown fuse. But also check for open circuit and ground connections.

It could be the Front Control Module (FCM) or the Body Control Module (BCM). Earlier Chargers have the FCM and later Chargers have the BCM. The FCM/BCM control exterior lighting (e.g. stop, turn signal and tail lamps, etc...). If you plug a OBD2/CAN scanner that can read all codes (not just powertrain codes) into the car's OBD2 port there may be some diagnostic codes logged. If you have the FCM (it's mounted on the front side of the engine compartment fuse box) you can inspect the condition of the wires/connectors attached to the FCM. The BCM (if your car has one) is mounted under the dash on the passenger side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going to jack this all thread hoping that somebody will see this and actually message me with where to go from here. My 2008 Dodge Charger will not light up my brake lights when I push on the brake pedal I have replaced the brake pedal pressure switch I have checked to make sure that the lights are still good my third brake light works when I put a baby battery to it. I don't know where to go from here I was told there is no relay for my tail lights my brakes will not eliminate no matter what I do so where should I look no powers run to eliminate the third brake light or eliminate my two tail lights for the brake when it's pushed I even pulled the normal stop of looking in The Grommet and the trunk to see if it got cut no such luck much appreciated for anybody who actually reply

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I have replaced the brake pedal pressure switch
In addition to the pressure switch there's the brake lamp switch and the brake travel switch. If you plug a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port there may some diagnostic codes logged. The scanner will need to be able to read all codes (not just Pxxxx powertrain codes) since the ABS codes are Cxxxx Chassis codes and Uxxxx Communication codes.

Brake Lamp Switch:
The stop lamp switch (#2 in the image below) is located under the instrument panel at the brake pedal arm. This switch contains three internal switches controlling various functions of the vehicle, one of them controls operation of the vehicle’s brake lamps. Other functions of the internal switches include speed control deactivation and brake sense for the ABS and the brake transmission shift interlock.

There's also an adjustment procedure for the brake/stop lamp switch ...
1. Depress and hold the brake pedal.
2. Remove the stop switch from it’s bracket. To do so, rotate the stop lamp switch in a counterclockwise direction approximately 30 degrees from its proper mounting position. Pull the switch rearward and remove it from it’s mounting bracket.
3. Hold the stop lamp switch firmly in one hand. Using your other hand, pull outward on the plunger of the switch until it has ratcheted out to its fully extended position.
4. Mount the stop lamp switch into the bracket as follows: Depress the brake pedal as far down as possible. Install the switch in it’s bracket by aligning the index key on switch with the notch in the square mounting hole of the mounting bracket. Once the switch is fully seated, rotate the switch clockwise approximately 30° to lock the switch into the bracket.
Caution: Do not use excessive force when pulling back on the brake pedal to adjust the stop lamp switch. If to much force is used, damage to the stop lamp switch or striker can result.
5. Gently pull back on brake pedal until the pedal stops moving. This will cause the switch plunger to ratchet backward to the correct position.
6. Check for proper operation of the brake lamps.

Brake Travel Switch:
The pedal travel sensor (#7 in the image below) is on power brake booster. You can check the condition of the wiring harness/connector. If you're not having any ABS issues the problem may be the brake/stop lamp switch and not the brake travel switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In addition to the pressure switch there's the brake lamp switch and the brake travel switch. If you plug a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port there may some diagnostic codes logged. The scanner will need to be able to read all codes (not just Pxxxx powertrain codes) since the ABS codes are Cxxxx Chassis codes and Uxxxx Communication codes.

Brake Lamp Switch:
The stop lamp switch (#2 in the image below) is located under the instrument panel at the brake pedal arm. This switch contains three internal switches controlling various functions of the vehicle, one of them controls operation of the vehicle’s brake lamps. Other functions of the internal switches include speed control deactivation and brake sense for the ABS and the brake transmission shift interlock.

View attachment 119856

There's also an adjustment procedure for the brake/stop lamp switch ...
1. Depress and hold the brake pedal.
2. Remove the stop switch from it’s bracket. To do so, rotate the stop lamp switch in a counterclockwise direction approximately 30 degrees from its proper mounting position. Pull the switch rearward and remove it from it’s mounting bracket.
3. Hold the stop lamp switch firmly in one hand. Using your other hand, pull outward on the plunger of the switch until it has ratcheted out to its fully extended position.
4. Mount the stop lamp switch into the bracket as follows: Depress the brake pedal as far down as possible. Install the switch in it’s bracket by aligning the index key on switch with the notch in the square mounting hole of the mounting bracket. Once the switch is fully seated, rotate the switch clockwise approximately 30° to lock the switch into the bracket.
Caution: Do not use excessive force when pulling back on the brake pedal to adjust the stop lamp switch. If to much force is used, damage to the stop lamp switch or striker can result.
5. Gently pull back on brake pedal until the pedal stops moving. This will cause the switch plunger to ratchet backward to the correct position.
6. Check for proper operation of the brake lamps.

Brake Travel Switch:
The pedal travel sensor (#7 in the image below) is on power brake booster. You can check the condition of the wiring harness/connector. If you're not having any ABS issues the problem may be the brake/stop lamp switch and not the brake travel switch.

View attachment 119857
Thank you for the information I have replaced that part number two but I will try redoing it with those procedures and see if it made a difference I do not have any ABS issues at this moment

1 - 7 of 7 Posts