Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I have a tough problem. I just got a 2012 Charger, pursuit package. My crruise control does not work. Took it to the dealer here in town today and they are not much help. More on that in a minute.

Looking at the wires coming out of the dash where the hump is, I think I might be missing a wire harness as well or maybe some kind of jumper wire harness. Take a look at the photos (in the one photos the connector labeled that fits the bezel, bezel is the VSIM).

The VSIM Vehicle System Interface Module that is located under the heater/radio controls center part of the lower dash was unplugged by someone and is now in the glove box (when I got the car). Looking at the wires I only see one group of 4 wires with a connector that will fit into the VSIM I am missing a larger wire harness. I searched all over in the dash area and can't find any other wires with loose ends. I did notice on the back of the radio unit there is an empty connector. Not sure if something should be in that connector.

Under the passenger seat there are some wire harnesses with connectors. One connector that is unplugged looks to fit in a large female plug under the seat not sure what it controllers. Seat works fine. There is also a small long black box which the service tech says is the G load monitor and it should be mounted to the hump between the front seats. There is another connector that the upfitter cut wires from a gray connector. The Dodge dealer said the car needs the VSIM plugged in and the G force sensor needs mounted.

Dealer said they don't work much on this style of Charger. So I don't know what to do. :dork: Anyone that might have photos or could take some photos of the wires would be great.

The dealer also said it needs a new VSIM and that the G force sensor needs remounted to the hump. OK, why would I need a new VSIM when I have the one that came with the car? The lady I talked to said they tried hooking that stuff up but it didn't fix the cruise control. They were going to research it further. They had the car all day!:wow:

Attachments

· Registered
99 Posts
I've got a 2007 Charger former police car. When I put in a factory style console, I removed the VSIM module and left it out of the car entirely, and have no issues with it. My cruise control still works. Those extra plugs you've got are supposedly for connecting to switchboxes to control wig wags, etc, and one should be for a police radio.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a 2007 Charger former police car. When I put in a factory style console, I removed the VSIM module and left it out of the car entirely, and have no issues with it. My cruise control still works. Those extra plugs you've got are supposedly for connecting to switchboxes to control wig wags, etc, and one should be for a police radio.
Your right the VSIM is really only for the upfitters. From what I have been able to find online is the VSIM is for headlight tail light/brake light flashing, horn, and other police car stuff. That way the upfitters don't have to cut and splice wires. LOL but on my car they did anyway.

Thursday the new G force detector thing will be in and they will get it mounted to the hump. But I am still concerned that it is not the total problem because in the rear fuse box there is an empty slot for Cruise control that I would think would have a fuse in it. Oh wait maybe they were getting some kind of error code and light about the cruise so they pulled the fuse and it went away. Instead of fixing the problem.

I guess I will find out later today.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news the cruise now works. So the sensor that the other dealer removed from the hump to put in a non charger console caused the problems. Now all I need to do is figure out the other wires and connectors.
I picked up the USB 3.5 plug harness but it has an extra white connector with 4 wires. Have no idea where that goes. Maybe back of the radio? Anyone have ideas?

· Registered
30 Posts
Lightingnut, did you put in a center console? I have a 2012 police package and just picked up a factory console from a wrecked se wiring harnesses are different though, wondering if you ran into this problem.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I did, I put in a police style console. Do you have photos of your wires? My cig lighter plug had a small nub that needed to be filed off so the factory cig lighting would fit the connector of the lighter. Strange set up.

· Registered
16 Posts
Good news the cruise now works. So the sensor that the other dealer removed from the hump to put in a non charger console caused the problems. Now all I need to do is figure out the other wires and connectors. I picked up the USB 3.5 plug harness but it has an extra white connector with 4 wires. Have no idea where that goes. Maybe back of the radio? Anyone have ideas?
Which sensor was it and where was it located and how I do it

· Registered
16 Posts
Good news the cruise now works. So the sensor that the other dealer removed from the hump to put in a non charger console caused the problems. Now all I need to do is figure out the other wires and connectors.
I picked up the USB 3.5 plug harness but it has an extra white connector with 4 wires. Have no idea where that goes. Maybe back of the radio? Anyone have ideas?
Which sensor was it and where was it located and how I do it
which sensor was it where is it located how do I find it how do I do it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts