Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont wanna drill into my front bumper, but live in ohio were a front license plate is required. My brothers a County Debuty sheriff, and claims they do pull people over for just having the plate in the window. Anyone have any ideas on a no drill front license plate holder that works for the charger RT? i've seen a few for other cars

Any information or links would be much appriciated! thanks

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
You can try some really strong double sided tape on the back of a regular plate holder but im not sure how well that would hold.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Youre pretty much limited to drilling in to your bumper. If it's the law, I wouldn't wait too long before you end up getting a 200 dollar ticket.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah seriously this is a simply avoidable issue. Just get over it, it's not that big of a deal. Almost all of us have a drilled on plate base.

·
Registered
73 Posts
idk about ohio, but in cali, if you dont have even your back one on, its just a fix it ticket, they will pull you over, but just slap it on and show a judge and your done, no 200$ also i dont know how thick the bumper is, but what about some hardcore magnets on it? other then that, some heavy duty tape.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Zaco, Cali is the most lenient state in America, which is why it honestly is not a fair benchmark to compare law to.

Copied from a private Ohio State Law Enforcement Forum:
>>BEGIN QUOTE
"Is it a law in Ohio to have the license plate on the front of your car?"
*** Yes.

"Can an officer pull you over for not having the front plate mounted?"
*** Yes. Fines will range from $92.00 to $376.00 depending on driving record and prior offenses.

"If it is a law, is it flexible enough for you to just place it on you front dash board ( like I sometimes see people display their rear plate in a rear window )?"
*** Only temporarily. Temporarily means no longer than 33 days in Ohio.

From the Ohio State Patrol:
"Currently, 31 states have both a front and a rear license plate. The Ohio Legislature passed a law in 1999 mandating all vehicles to display both front and rear license plates.

>End Quote

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thats very creative stroguy... Looks much better than the plate holder that normally comes on the car. I like the way it blends right in with the front. Doesnt stick out like the other one....

A lil thought and you can get creative if you have to drill.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
hell ya cali is the best i have had my charger for 2 years and have never been pulled over for no front plates and have gotten a ticket for my tail lights but not for no front liscence plate

·
Registered
445 Posts
hell ya cali is the best i have had my charger for 2 years and have never been pulled over for no front plates and have gotten a ticket for my tail lights but not for no front liscence plate
Some cities, areas, or even counties are cool about it in California.....and a lot more are not.
Especially if the cops are just looking for a reason to check out you or your car because you look "suspicious" to them.
My son had a limo tint on his car for 2 years in Corona. He goes to San Diego County for the first time and gets busted in Poway and nailed again in Ramona (he had to show the sheriff he had the ticket from Poway)..

In California, every time you drive with illegal tinting or no front plate, you are rolling the dice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I dunno know about you but I think I would rather drill and put a license plate holder on than have my license plate laying in my dash..that would look like crap and could scratch up your dash if it moves around.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Davies Corvette makes a hideaway front license plate bracket and offers manual or electric operation. A costly alternative, but it's a choice. I think the electric one operated from a dash switch would be pretty cool, and it would keep the clean lines of your front bumper for shows.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
A lil thought and you can get creative if you have to drill.....

how did we make this.. or where did we get it at.. i think it looks sharp.. and better than the original one..

·
Staffing since 2008
12,199 Posts
At least in texas the Law is Vague enough to allow the plate to be put in the window. And before everyone comes in and tries to correct me, I printed it out and gave it to a soldier who got out of a ticket because of it.

G

·
how did we make this.. or where did we get it at.. i think it looks sharp.. and better than the original one..
Well I can't take credit for the originality, members like 36chambers and others did this and I copied them. I went to AZ and picked up a Cruiser license bracket. They are powder coated zinc and of very good quality.

http://www.cruiserframes.com/page.asp?id=2&catid=1&prodid=10

Then I removed my OEM plate holder that was painted stone white but began to peel. I measured half way across the new Cruiser bracket and marked it top and bottom at the half way marks. Lined these marks up on the edge of my work bench and began to bend the bracket. Take it to the car and check the angle with the bumper, bend a lil more and so on till the angle matched. Then took my license plate, measured and marked the top and bottom at the half way points and did the same on my work bench till the angle matched the new bracket. Now my TX plate did not quite fit into the bracket recess fully, so off to the grinder to take a bit off of each rounded corner. Did this til the plate fit into the recess of the new bracket. Take the bracket to the bumper, center it up on the bumper, make a couple of marks and drill four small holes to have these screws and caps self tap into the bumper.

http://www.cruiserframes.com/page.asp?id=2&catid=1&prodid=86

http://www.cruiserframes.com/page.asp?id=2&catid=1&prodid=89

Screw the bracket and plate to the bumper, add the caps and you are there.

I am going to redo my setup by buying another bracket and after I mark the half way points for the bend i will cut a V into the bracket prior to bending. If you look at the pic close you will see at the bends that the bracket did bulge from the bend. Cutting V's into the next one and dabbing some black paint on the cuts will leave a much cleaner angle bend to the bracket.

Hope you give it a try and good luck.

Randy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts