Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined this forum looking for help on a 2006 Magnum R/T issue. Yeah, I realize this is a Charger forum but I found more HVAC related nfo on this forum than the Magnum forums. The HVAC system seems to be the same for both, at least in 2006. My issue is that the passenger side no longer puts out heat, and it appears to be a fault in the dual zone climate control module, which looks like this...

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Audio equipment Personal luxury car

The reason that I suspect that it is the module is that the passenger side blend door actuator motor (behind the glove box) works when I removed it and connected it to a 12v power source. It runs in the opposite direction when the polarity is reversed and does not make any unusual noises. Nor does it make any noises when the motor is mounted in place. The failure was sudden... worked and now it doesn't work. With the actuator removed I can freely move the blend door by manipulating the mechanism by hand and get heat on the passenger side.

I have an OBD2 scanner that reads HVAC codes and while it shows a B10AC DTC (open circuit on right blend door) when the wiring connector to the actuator motor is disconnected - exactly what I would expect - it does not throw any other codes when everything is connected and still no heat. The only other known thing going on with the CC module has been that a number of the back lights that illuminate the settings for the right most knob are burnt out. While replacing the module with a new one will fix that, I want to be certain that the control module is in fact causing the no heat issue.

I did try measuring the voltage at the connector individually with respect to ground and also across the 2 pins with a good DVM and saw nothing but since the actuator is apparently controlled with voltage pulses I don't know that my meter would have captured that.

Has anyone else ran into this particular issue?

TIA

· Registered
201 Posts
Make sure that you are testing the right motor. With the dual climate system on my '06 Daytona, there are like a total of 4 motors. There are 2 near the center console, reachable through the glove box opening, once removed. On the far right, there is the recirculating door motor. The good news is the motors are the same part, so you could try swapping them to eliminate it.

The bad news is if you ever need to change the driver's side blend door motor, it is a real PITA! Also, folks have had hit/miss luck with reliability of aftermarket replacements vs an OE Mopar part. Not a job you want to have to repeat. If you can get your hands on a more professional scan tool that can read body codes, there should be a code in the BCM relating to either the blend door motor or the CC module that could help you pinpoint this more accurately.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure that you are testing the right motor. With the dual climate system on my '06 Daytona, there are like a total of 4 motors. There are 2 near the center console, reachable through the glove box opening, once removed. On the far right, there is the recirculating door motor. The good news is the motors are the same part, so you could try swapping them to eliminate it.

The bad news is if you ever need to change the driver's side blend door motor, it is a real PITA! Also, folks have had hit/miss luck with reliability of aftermarket replacements vs an OE Mopar part. Not a job you want to have to repeat. If you can get your hands on a more professional scan tool that can read body codes, there should be a code in the BCM relating to either the blend door motor or the CC module that could help you pinpoint this more accurately.
Since my scanner read the B10AC "open circuit in right blend door" I would think that I am looking at the right motor, and would presume that it would read any additional HVAC codes.

Are you saying that some of the HVAC codes are stored in the BCM and some are stored elsewhere?

· Registered
2,107 Posts

WORD! I just had the tough one replaced, under warranty. There only like $30 each with lifetime warranty also.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since my scanner read the B10AC "open circuit in right blend door" I would think that I am looking at the right motor, and would presume that it would read any additional HVAC codes.

Are you saying that some of the HVAC codes are stored in the BCM and some are stored elsewhere?
FYI the OBD2 scanner I bought is called BlueDriver, $99 on their Black Friday sale. Paid $119 for mine.

...which does read BCM codes. When I ran "scan all modules" it came back with DTCs pertaining to the sunroof, radio, etc. in addition to the B10AC HVAC code. Pretty neat device that uses a companion app from the Play store. I haven't fully explored it yet but a different OBD2 dongle I have used that only reads/clears power train DTCs but also can display information not visible from the instrument cluster while driving down the road, using the Torque app. Having the Bluetooth dongle instead of connecting via cable makes that easy.

· Registered
3,627 Posts
+1 on BlueDriver

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, back to the problem...

The test I just did involved removing the blend door actuator but leaving its wires connected, turning on the ignition (also tried starting the car), cold engine, turning the fan on (manual, also tried auto) and watching the shaft on the actuator while I moved the passenger temperature control... no movement whatsoever, so that tells me it must be the A/C - heater control module (picture in my first post).

Since the actuator moves when I connect it to an external 12VDC source, this means that the control module is not sending voltage to the actuator, due to a defect, unless I am missing something. It could be possible that it is not enabled unless the motor has reached a certain temperature but I don't see anything in the service manual to that effect.

I have heard that these control modules are model specific, or at least generation specific so I need to find one for a 2006 Magnum or equivalent. There seem to be a number of them on ebay so the hunt is on...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts