Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey need another brain in this. Rebuilt and put in my 5.7 (with a cam), now shifting is either non existent. It’s shifting through, my shifter is acting normal, the correct gears are showing up on my dash (no autostick showing), and no fluid was lost during the swap. TC didn’t even come out. Battery was out for some time, all adaptives are reset.

The motor and trans (NAG1) are 2006.

I drove it forward and I had to rev it to get it to move. Same with reverse to back it up again. I’ve only gone forward and reverse once. I need to break in the motor. Need it to shift first. Only thing is the transmission wasn’t even touched during this swap.

No TCM codes or ESM (Electronic Shifter Module) codes. Nothing done to diff or TCM. In fact I swapped out my TCM but no change.

When I did some tests, I can change gears. I can upshift and downshift, according to AppcarDiag FCA- everything at the shifter is normal. On paper, in the TCM, everything looks good. Still- no TCM codes or ESM (Electronic Shifter Module) codes.

In my speedo display, I can change from Park to Drive, however when I autostick I'm not getting anything in my display.

I've been inspecting wiring all over the engine bay, so far so good. My fluids are where they should be. I believe this is an electronics issue because while I can upshift and downshift in AppcarDiag FCA, and it's showing on the computer, it's not showing in my speedo cluster. Something isn't right.

When I initially fired up the motor, it crept forward about a hundred feet. I put it in reverse and took it back. It was slow but it went. After that one single time I’ve got nothing. When I check my fluid, it’s fine. Not burnt or low.

The thing that has me stuck on electronics and not necessarily mechanical (but I'm not 100% sure here) is the fact I can’t up or downshift and have it show on my cluster. On AppcarDiag is all shows every time I + or - the shifter. It all shows. There is a signal. There’s life somewhere.

I can run diagnostics on it and get values on AppcarDiagFCA if anyone cares to help on this.

·
Registered
2013 R/T Max
489 Posts
On the old 904 & 727 trannys the torque converter had to be rotated until it seated on the 3rd click in, otherwise it wouldn't engage the front pump.
All your symptoms are of a slipping converter IMO, don't know about the electronic side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the old 904 & 727 trannys the torque converter had to be rotated until it seated on the 3rd click in, otherwise it wouldn't engage the front pump.
All your symptoms are of a slipping converter IMO, don't know about the electronic side.
See and I'm wondering that too. My TC went in smooth and spins fine- my only hangup is my autostick is not showing in my display yet I can confirm the signal is there- it shows on my laptop.

Here's a a quick video

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve concluded I’m going to pull the transmission. I decided to check my TC and make sure it’s seated. I can put it in any gear and they all act as nuetrel, so that’s where my thinking is at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Was it the TC? I have exact same condition on my '07 sxt.
Turns out my install was the problem. I wound up eating the pump, TC housing, TC itself, and stator because I ultimately didn't have the TC seated right, even after I did measurements. I actually have a much larger thread that explains my deal with pics over on LXForums. But in the end, I'll be stronger than ever. I just cant believe I went from building and installing a 0 mile motor to royally messing up my install of the trans. Twice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts