Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a heavily used (260,000mi) and abused 2006 R/T for a SONG. P.O stopped driving because it was stuck in park, sure enough the infamous "pink thingy" was broken. In a desperate measure to destroy, the P.O dismantled the shifter, and i mean dismantled, and attempted to bypass said "pink thingy". The first thing I have done is repaired the broken clip, carefully checked for other damage (no visual surprisingly) and re-assembled. Shifts perfectly. Now, the car has sat for shy of 2 years with a dead battery, no fuel, flat tires ect. I have replaced the battery with a known good one, added 5 gal of fresh fuel, and hopped in with high spirits. Boy was I disappointed to find nothing when I hit the key. All electronics appear to work properly, just no crank at the key. I was able to jump the starter relay and turn the engine over to confirm the starter functions properly. I have swapped relays around, no luck. I have done a fair amount of research on the topic, with unfortunate results. I checked the ignition switch out, including that actuator piece that commonly breaks, all checks out a-ok. Id like to consider myself fairly well versed in auto repair, and am hoping to do anything to avoid the stealership. My next thought to check was the NSS, assuming there was one. Local parts store sold me one, but ill be damned if I can locate it on the car to replace it. Can anyone tell me what I may be missing? Is there a way to fire the thing up by jumping relays? Id hate to spend a boat load of cash on a $400 car to find out the engine knocks or the trans slips. Sorry for the Novel, but I like to be thorough.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Have you plugged a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port to see if any codes have been logged?
The car has a park/neutral position switch (you will not find "NSS" used in the Dodge Service Guide). Here's a link to the Service Guide ... it's free access.

https://www.roswell-nm.gov/1112/Chilton-Auto-Repair-Library

Reactions: Esnell78

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Located my Scan tool, car is throwing a P0513 for the Key Immobilizer system. Unfortunately I do only have the one key, and it is NOT a Chrysler key, but an aftermarket replacement. I guess I will be contacting my local dealership for some further advice.

Thank you very much for the link, that will come in handy for sure!
I will post an update when I have this sorted out, hopefully someone else may find the information useful as-well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, finally got a chance to get the car towed over to the Dealership. Had a new key cut & programmed to the car to the tune of $89.00... not half bad. Unfortunately that did not solve the issue.. just my luck. Thankfully the helpful Tech was able to help me diagnose a few things. Computer knows when the key is in the on/run/start/acc position. It also knows that it is in P/N/D. So good communication there. Only system that was down was the sunroof, and thats the LEAST of my concerns! The starter IS good, it will crank the engine all day when the relay is jumped. It seems that the ignition is not sending the "crank" signal to the fuse box. The relay does not click when the key is in the start position. I have tried other known good relays, no avail. Will be breaking out the test light this weekend and will report back. Hopefully someday someone may find this information useful!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
wow, i'm curious now.. post results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts