Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my front Bwoody endlinks and front Hotchkis sway bar and bushings, and when ever Im driving over dips, bumps and potholes I hear and feel a pop and clunk coming from the front. What can this be?
It sounds really bad and is very noticable.. I used the oversized washers for the Bwoodys as well.. Im going to check it tomorrow and check the bolts. Maybe there too loose. Has anybody else had these issues with the Bwoodys and Hotchkis? I only put grease in the inside of the bushing.. are you supposed to put it on the outside too?
Thanks for any responses.

I will give rep

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Make sure your end links are tight where they attach to the strut. That was my noise culprit.

I hope this helps.:)

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I will be checking that tomorrow. I think thats what it is. I remember not wanting to tighten them too much for some reason.

I'll post tomorrow how it comes out.
Does anyone know if your supposed to apply grease on the outside of the bushing?
I used Lukas wheel bearing grease on my bushings.

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Let us know and do you have any pics of your set up with the sways? I'd like to see em.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Let us know and do you have any pics of your set up with the sways? I'd like to see em.
X2; I'm about to do the BWoody end links, myself. I only greased the inside of my sway bar bushings, too. No noise, though. And I've already christened them on the Tail of the Dragon. If they were gonna make noise, I'm sure they would have done it there. I bet it's the end links.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im about to jack the car up right now, I will take some pics as requested

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I jacked the car up and checked the links, everything seemed pretty tight. My washers have already bent in some places.
I went ahead and got a torque wrench and tightened everything as hard as I could. I got a couple of rotations on each bolt so its a little tighter than before, any tighter and ill probably break the damn bolt!
I'm going to go for a spin to see if the problem has been resolved.

Here are some pictures as requested.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
sounds like your endlinks arent tightened at all. if i recall you need two wrenches like a 10mm and a big one like 21mm one to hold the ball joint from spinning. i didnt tighten mine well and swore my front end was falling off over bumps.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
sounds like your endlinks arent tightened at all. if i recall you need two wrenches like a 10mm and a big one like 21mm one to hold the ball joint from spinning. i didnt tighten mine well and swore my front end was falling off over bumps.
That was the "noise" I was experiencing too. I used a wrench on the initial install, but its kind of crowded up there near the strut and I could feel the "play" in it, so I went back over the install instructions and used a socket to tighten everything up. No problems since.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the problem is still there.
Im starting to think its my springs or struts..
The noise was there with the stock sway bar and endlinks, maybe the bigger endlinks are putting more pressure on my struts? It sure sounds like its soming from my struts.
My car has 80,000 miles on it, when are shocks due to be changed?
Are you supposed to grease the inside of the endlink? I dont think so right?
The endlinks are as tight as can be.
I dont know what it could be.,

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just tried to get everything as tight as possible.
The torque wrench thightens more than the impact wrench I have.
Im not sure if there is a torque spec for the Bwoody links.
I think the added reinforcement to my struts brought out the noise from the 5 year old coils. I have an 06 rt with 80,000 miles,
If you guys can imagine that for a minute.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man, I dont know what it can be..
Do you guys think its the Hotchkis bushings? Are they just that noisey?
I have a lot of bumps and dips and potholes in the city streets were I live.
Maybe the Bwoodys are more for track use.
I just cant take the noise.
I might go ahead and put the stockers back on..

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im not going to blame the Bwoodys right off the bat though.. It very well can be my 5 year old 80,000miles coils and struts..
Please chime in someone.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think its those Hotchkis bushings..
I had my car in park and pushed down the front and I could hear all of the noise coming from the bushing. It sounds like rubber for sure.
I will be switching out the hotchkis sways tomorrow.
I cant take the noise of the loud bushings.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i doubt its the bushing at all actually. could be a tension strut that has failed although i doubt it pushing on the front usually wont mimic the noise. It could be the ball joint between the upper and lower control arm, it could be the lower shock mount bush very hard to tell, check these things over look for any cracks etc. It could be an inner or outer tie rod that has gone bad, if you get your car on the rack simply trying to move wheel in and out with your hands you can see play in a bad tie rod and here a clicking. Lastly check to make sure not only are your bushes in properly and fully tightened make sure the metal shield for the sway bar isnt rattling against something. they bend super easy.

Oh also make sure your belly pans are tight if they are loose you will get a hellacious noise there too.

But when i had a rattle in the rear the only thing i could get to make noise when pushing the car up and down was the lower shock mount as soon as i took the bolt out put some dielectic grease and tightened back up it was gone. I really think my bushing is going bad, but i also think the aftermarket shocks dont quite mount to the lower mount as well as stock shocks. I have been contimplating having mine machined out for more pedders bushes.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It sounds like rubber against metal for sure.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I installed the sways and endlinks, I didnt jack up the wheels to relieve the tension on the struts. You think that could be the reason?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts