Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, is there any way to get rid of that annoying ticking noise at idle?

I assume the lifters are hydraulic and are sticking..I've heard running around a qt of ATF for around 50 mi before an oil change fixes it

Any ideas?

·
Registered
972 Posts
yea i think thats the sound mine is making when its in idle and its annoying sounds super lame lol
can you post a vid?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have a vid up by tomorrow, but yeah I bought the car at around 100k km and dino oil was only used, so I'm thinking some sludge or something is preventing the oil to reach the lifters.

Right now i'm running the car with Mobil 1 EP full synthetic for around 1000km and even an hours worth of driving the ticking noise will still be there at idle or at like 2-3k rpm when driving beside a median or something i can faintly hear it. (the speed of the ticking goes up with the higher rpm)

·
Registered
466 Posts
ya mine does that to not quite as loud some one told me it mite be the injectors but i dont think so

·
Registered
177 Posts
On the Hemis we have something called 'the hemi tick', it is the exhaust valves tapping due to lack of lubricity in the unleaded fuels. Google
BND Automotive and call Brian, the guy is an amazing chemist and creates oils and additives. ACES IV is something we add to the fuel tank of our hemis to give us the lubricity to stop the ticking and it increases octane levels so it pays for itself in fuel savings. Not sure if this all applies to a 3.5 but Brian will help you right out, I use his Quantum Blue synthetic oil and ACES IV and wouldn't do without it now.

·
Registered
972 Posts
On the Hemis we have something called 'the hemi tick', it is the exhaust valves tapping due to lack of lubricity in the unleaded fuels. Google
BND Automotive and call Brian, the guy is an amazing chemist and creates oils and additives. ACES IV is something we add to the fuel tank of our hemis to give us the lubricity to stop the ticking and it increases octane levels so it pays for itself in fuel savings. Not sure if this all applies to a 3.5 but Brian will help you right out, I use his Quantum Blue synthetic oil and ACES IV and wouldn't do without it now.

you think a synthetic oil would stop it? cause i use nothing but chevron,shell or mobil only!

·
Registered
177 Posts
you think a synthetic oil would stop it? cause i use nothing but chevron,shell or mobil only!
No it's not the oil, if it's a noisy exhaust valve then the ACES IV fuel additive will stop it, mine is gone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's the vid, this was taken after around an hours worth of driving.

YouTube - Noisy lifters Dodge Charger 3.5l
Mine makes the same noise...I was told it might be something with the ac the noise actually went away when i turned the ac off when i was investigating the noise once. I can only hear it when on the outside of the car never on the inside like i have read that some people have experienced.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Yep Quantum Blue and ACES IV does the trick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep Quantum Blue and ACES IV does the trick.
Hmmm that's unfortunate that that is the ONLY thing that will fix the tapping..there has to be another way!

it's weird though..my dad's truck has about the same mileage and never been used with synthetic oil and there is no ticking..sure its a Toyota tundra but if there is a lack of lubrication in our fuels today shouldn't there be ticking in every single vehicle?

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Hmmm that's unfortunate that that is the ONLY thing that will fix the tapping..there has to be another way!

it's weird though..my dad's truck has about the same mileage and never been used with synthetic oil and there is no ticking..sure its a Toyota tundra but if there is a lack of lubrication in our fuels today shouldn't there be ticking in every single vehicle?

Not saying that is the only thing that can fix it, just saying that is something that has reduced the noise or eliminated it completely. The company that makes ACES IV is a vendor on the "other" Charger forum and the stuff is documented to work. I'm sure there or other things that can fix it but I haven't heard of any others.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not trying to be a jerk but.......you asked for advise and we who have experienced this AND fixed it try to help but because you don't like the answer you question it. Try all the auto store stuff you want but when you're done wasting that money please call Brian at BND and order some ACES IV. We are only trying to help....like you asked.

·
Registered
972 Posts
hey guys i just finished washing my car and i had the tick in my 3.5L before and i noticed that the ticking went away and i think its because i just put synthetic penzoil
just wanted to let you guys know

1 - 19 of 19 Posts