Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, Vehicle not on property yet but here is a quick preview.

2015 R/T. PLUS , Moonroon, Driver Confidence, NAV

Call it my “second childhood” vehicle and since I never have had a high performance sedan....Most performance was the Ford EcoBoost TT V6. New to Charger but previous Mopar resume includes Dodge Aries, Dodge Spirit, Jeep Cherokee, Dodge Durango, and now back to Dodge family with the R/T. Primary vehicle is 2020 Grand Cherokee so not totally unfamiliar with Mopar/FCA products.

I have not owned Chargers before but that or the Chrysler 300 is usually my first choice for full size rentals. Did manage to get a two week rental on a 2017 SXT and ,enjoyed a 4500 mile road trip/shake down so I can feel comfortable lomg term. Yes I know the R/T is sport suspension instead of touring but I think I can handle it.

I will obviously follow up when on property but one fairly qju question.

The sales brochure for 2015 does not specify either way about the spare tire. i see that some model years have a inflator/sealer kit with optional compact spare tire. Should I expect to find the inflator kit unless specified on the window sticker? That isn’t even a good guide anymore rat bastarrs leave the tire out during trade and the new selling dealer plays stupid and won’t honor a replacement even though specified as standard.........Safety Item....p.if your buying undead vehicles inspect and make a fuss....yes safety item to me ican be a dealbreaker especially with something so simple and cheap...Before you say the inflator kit......the inflator kit wont do you any good If the entire tire shreds on a sun Baked intersTate in front of the next exit 35 miles sign and AAA is two hours minimum ETA.

I would think yes but can I purchase the spare tire kit which I would think should just be the tire, jack, foam spacer right?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.....can’t wait to get on property and try it out. CarVana purchase So be a few days!

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
9,278 Posts
Welcome from AZ.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Western NY. I don't know about the R/T Plus, but my '15 Rallye has the compact spare.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone.

C/V and Vroom are definitely becoming more common. Pretty decent program but a few quirks. First of all no negotiations on either trade value or their price. The price of their vehicles allows profit but not excessive from what I can see so far. Less overhead but a lot more in transportation fees. Most are flat rate shipping charges and are built into the price.

CV offered $3.5K more than dealers and there trade values are a lot more in line with KBB ranges, some times higher, but most the higher end of the range adjusted for market, equipment, and condition.

The only drawback was the spare tire but again”AS-IS” and even though they should be included mine wasn’t. My personal opinion is a previous owner either removed to save weight and or sold when they were trading in. That’s bad enough but the previous dealers that took on trade should have replaced but spilled milk now. Mine was only $100 from eBay shipping included. I already had the Jack from another purchase.

I know about the extra weight but still like piece of mind in having a spare tire. I personally don’t want to spend anymore time on the side of the road than necessary.....especially with more and more distracted drivers. 15-20 minutes to change yourself or unknown ETA of roadside assistance.

The other part of C/V is you don’t usually know where the vehicle is. Last known entry for the R/T was South Carolina but when the advocate called
I was advised it was in Indianapolis. The vehicles that you see in the fancy lots are usually already sold and just awaiting pick up. I did the home pick up and spare tire aside uneventful transaction as advertised. Brought vehicle, unloaded, took about a 15-20 minute test drive, loaded up trade, review last minute paperwork, verify insurance and on their way. Took about an hour because I went over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb.

Hopefully the R/T should be the same uneventful transaction and I won’t expect there to be a spare since it was a factory option not listed on the window sticker!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I wonder/worry about the price that they give you before pickup, and then what they actually give you after they inspect it. Will they undercut it by much to get your business? VROOM said they pick it up, have a 3rd party inspect it, then call back with actual payout amount. Is Carvana different?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see the concern but so far no problems. There is a certain amount of trust/honesty factor on both sides though.

The appraisal software logic scrapes information from publicly available sources which I think in some cases is too publicly available but that’s adifferent story.

I run KBB to get a”trade in value range first. Enter the same information on the CV site and it comes back with a value. So far2 for 2 and the trade in value has been to the penny. They also give you a number that in TX at least shows how much in sales tax credit is applied. Ex...$25K vehicle purchase price minus $20K trade in value... tax is only on $5K instead of the full $25K since you paid that tax previously. The state even gave me a tax credit on a vehicle that was NOT purchased in TX.

The numbers add up at least have so far. I am sure there is some formula I don’t Fully understand but for the most part on the level.

The c/V process is fairly simple once you understand it. Theappraisal value is set. You have the option of trade, sell and either optionthe value is the same and a seven day window to decide. If you pick the trade option the process starts immediately. The new vehicle immediately goes to a “Hold Statis for about 40 minutes while you start the paperwork. General information, name, address, financing options, (cash, CB finance or 3rd party pre approved). When the general information is received and some documents get started the vehicle moves from “HOLD” to “Purchase Pending” which prevents anyone else from swooping in to grab it. Vehicle will still show on the CV site but “purchase pending”. When the vehicle is delivered, there is some more final paperwork and yours. The seven day/400 mile return window starts then and as long as within the window the return is a NQA. The trade goes to their lot But I believe nothing gets done other than check in until the 7 day window has expired.

I know it is a tough concept especially with car dealers but there has to be a certain amount of trust and honesty factor on BOTH sides. They say they do NOT even purchase vehicles with any accident records. Minor damage yes and normal wear/tear but Accidents automatic rejection. Yes it is possible to have a accident and not be reported but these days probably very rare. Insurance companies report to CARFAX and even though it might be damage instead of accident the entry is still there... and the vehicle will continue for the rest of its life. Think misdemeanor instead of felony.

Most of the drama is removed and your not sitting in a dealers home turf. You have the right to inspect the vehicle third party during the return window. For initial purchase you are going on photos, CARFAX and text description since in most cases you don’t know where the vehicle is. When it arrives on the truck to the house simply a matter of unloading, test driving and deciding. Although I haven’t my last sales advocate advised that Yes they do have people refuse delivery. Any money is not exchanged until after delivery.

I have not tried Vroom yet but I suspect the system is the same. CV and Vroom are a modern day CARMAX without the physical showroom.

You have the option of home delivery or going to the local showroom and doing the ceremonial vending machine. I chose home and got some replicas of the coins.

Is CV without faults. NO but overall from a online selling point one of the better ones especially when you are buying vehicles not a bakeware set.
Remember eBay sells vehicles too.

would I buy a Ferrari or Porsche from CB probably not but for average mainstream vehicles O.K!

Biggest issue I had was the lack of spare tire and they missed my registration request to have my personalized specialty license plate transferred but no big deal and will try again with the R/T.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Welcome to the Z, from Pittsburgh! If your biggest concern is the spare tire, that's a good sign imo. Congrats, and feel free to post pics when it arrives!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the greetings...YinZ...(Spent about five years in PIT...

As gracious as I am there has been a slight...well not so slight change of plans.

First of all relax still going with Charger.

The pretty substantial change was sub fleet. More on that later But for now here are the known details,

Approximately 30 hours before scheduled delivery time I received a email from C/V advising of a delay in delivery with a already programmed new estimated delivery date/time. I get that and email was followed up with Voice call/positive contact a few hours later. V/M matched the email.....”Mechanical discrepancy that does not meet their standards for delivery”. The V/M also implied that the vehicle was not even in the DFW Servicing area which I would think that 30 hours to go, it should be at least in the DFW area. Original location was Indianapolis which is apparently a servicing hub for them. I eventually pried a fuel system problem but they weren’t very transparenot about what the problem was, and whether the delay was awaiting parts or maintenanc. I spent 10 years in the MIlitary in aviation maintenance and..trust me I know the difference between the two, especially since my new career field is aviation operations.

I left the delivery scheduled fir the new date (1330 Feb 15th). I checked out another 2018 R/T in Abilene (approx 175 miles west. Dealer was only interested in their price and not budging. Adding insult to both my intige and emotions they wanted to give me. Average NADA Black Book below lowball offer. I get that but try it on some other chump, I did my research and double/tripe/quadroupled my figures to come up with what I thought was a fair offer and they were way off. The one time $1000 upped was still about 3K off. I might have considered it if they were willing to work with me on their price but alas no deal and the only victim was time. email, Social Media transaction to see if I could get it close enough to warrant an extra trip on the trade. I also had to keep a more focused effort to monitor trade mileage since I didn’t want to go over And risk another appraisal with lower numbres. Saved me a trip and as they say back to drawing board....(Google Search). A little more searching and not much in the immediate DFW Metroplex area. Plenty of R/T models available but I stand my ground on at least one item....Color combination......(Black interior but only three exterior paint colors. Bliue/Grey/Silver). NO exceptions Period. The Abilene model was Destroyer Grey/Black).

Moved on and started the search over agin and came up with a local buyer/wholesale who only buys vehicles for the auction..they do not sell. Normally they beat dealers and onto just $200-500 to say they beat a dealers offer. The difference in this case was $2500 above dealer and only took about one cycle of offer/counter/final offer and either decline, considering or acceptance. I was about to accept but the local 100+ vehicle pileup was near the area I had to go and Interstate was totally closed for almost 24 hours and Single lane for almost another 24 for debris, vehicle removed etc... They held the offer overnight then I discovered another potential problem and this one could have been not only dealbreaker but possible Odometer Fraud Charges (Falsification of title paperwork. The major problem was that the trade title mileage section was about 500 miles higher than odometer). Way too much to be considered “Clerical Error”. Two ways of correcting. 1 Apply for new title.....probably another six-eight weeks minimum). The second solution and way simple....Run the mileage out. I took option 2 and the following morning after my coffee I started towards Abilene. Clear roads and new scenery. By this time I was within within 100 miles so 45 out/45 back and 10 for local roads, detours etc... Came back to driveway exactly 2 miles over title notation. About 10-15 to trade point and still reasonable range of the ”clerical error”.

Final search located a 2018 GTPlus AWD. Three model years newer and almost 30K less miles than original Carvana R/T model. Equipment wise almost exact copy except for exterior color, HEMI and GT no moonroof. Called dealer to verify availablit’s. Confirmed in stock ran numbers an came back with my asking price for trade and actually beat the wholesaler by $500. Rare for dealers bbut occasionally the customer can ge a win. Put overnight hold and planned transfer yesterday (Saturday 2/13). Road were good, quick coffee and Bankk for cashiers check of remaininf balance owed.

Arrived at dealer a fairly quick paperwork session, transfer of personal belongings and on my way back home before the forecast snow started falling. I didn’t want to have to Rey out the AWD portion quite that soon.

Long story wrap up but wound up with the 300 HP V6 GT+ AWD V6 instead of the planned 2015 R/T. Both models about 80-90% identical minus the HEMI and Moonroof. I will keep the screen ID that I originally signed up with. I guess I will be more on the GT section but I am sure that I will be making cameo/guest appea on this section.

When the weather clears or at least diminishes but for now Granite Crystal/Black Napa Leather,

Thanks for het feedback on some of my R/T questions and I am sure that some of that feedback will transfer over to some common component wear items. (Suspension, Brakes etc...)

Sorry the R/T didn’t materialize but the lack of transparent communication with the status leads me to get concerned about what else might not be disclosed leading to future concerns. This would have been my second C/V purchase and spare tire aside the first transaction went well.

Farewell and beat wishes to all and remember like Trumo I am not totally gone, just a different section of this same forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
About a week in now and o major issues. Sat in the driveway collecting dust..or rather Snow last Sunday, Ice Monday and Tuesday...like much of TX and the nation. Took the Jeep out Tuesday but tried the GT AWD Wednesday. Held its own in the snow and although I didn’t get crazy I didn’t feel scared and was slow enough to make small corrections as necessary to maintain control. Had it out every day since then and works great. Especially seat and steering wheel heatears.

Still getting delay messages from C/V about the R/T even though I called to cancel the order. They are going to be very disappointed when they show up and there is no trade although I wouldn’t mind getting a 2015 R/T Plus for $3500 and if they are that inattentive....serves them right......we can dream cant we....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts