Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I have read other threads that said dont waste your money using anything but 87 octane fuel in our 2.7's.
I am curriouse what my fellow 2.7 owners think and or have experienced about this.
From my personal experience I get a little knock in the engine when I use that 87. 89octane not as bad and 93 no knock. She also seems to perform better on the higher octane. Also, it seems I get slightly better gas mileage with the higher octane fuel. As we have all seen in the recent past, gas prices are climbing there way north again (at least here in Texas) so unfortunately I am using more and more of the 87.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I was noticing the other day that the prices were creeping up again.

Some info from the 2.7's???

·
Registered
366 Posts
well in this world its a fact you get what you pay for. 93 is better in my opinion, i used shell V power. my advice is if you want to save some money with gas price$, see if the gas station that you go to, and see if they have anything to save you money, shell offers a shell card, i save 5 to 10 cents a gallon. im stoked on that. i only used that credit card at shell, because well i dont want to mess up my credit. ya know? so yeah gas will go up & down no matter what, just because transportation is a need in today's life. no matter what just, play your cards right with saving money on gas.

·
Registered
192 Posts
well in this world its a fact you get what you pay for. 93 is better in my opinion, i used shell V power. my advice is if you want to save some money with gas price$, see if the gas station that you go to, and see if they have anything to save you money, shell offers a shell card, i save 5 to 10 cents a gallon. im stoked on that. i only used that credit card at shell, because well i dont want to mess up my credit. ya know? so yeah gas will go up & down no matter what, just because transportation is a need in today's life. no matter what just, play your cards right with saving money on gas.
Higher octane isnt better fuel, it just burns slower. The quality of the fuel is based on where you get it, not the octane rating.

The car is tuned for a specific octane rating. Use to low octane fuel, and you get spark knock and it can kill the engine. Use to high octane and the fuel wont completely burn, and it will leave deposits.

Use the octane of fuel the owners manual calles for. It is designed for that. Want better fuel go to top tear gas dot com. Shell is good, but if the car calls for 87, use 87 shell, 93 shell is bad, not good if the car is designed for 87.

If you can advance the timing, (which requires a programmer) then you can tune the car for higher octane. Run nitros, forced inductino, etc. then higher octane may be needed. Not doing any of that, stick with the octane rating the car is designed for.

It bothers me I put 87 octane in my Caliber R/T, but logically I know it is better for it, than 93.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response...So, use better 87 octane fuel which is what the 2.7L calls for...Shell is my favorite so that works out well....:TU:

Higher octane isnt better fuel, it just burns slower. The quality of the fuel is based on where you get it, not the octane rating.

The car is tuned for a specific octane rating. Use to low octane fuel, and you get spark knock and it can kill the engine. Use to high octane and the fuel wont completely burn, and it will leave deposits.

Use the octane of fuel the owners manual calles for. It is designed for that. Want better fuel go to top tear gas dot com. Shell is good, but if the car calls for 87, use 87 shell, 93 shell is bad, not good if the car is designed for 87.

If you can advance the timing, (which requires a programmer) then you can tune the car for higher octane. Run nitros, forced inductino, etc. then higher octane may be needed. Not doing any of that, stick with the octane rating the car is designed for.

It bothers me I put 87 octane in my Caliber R/T, but logically I know it is better for it, than 93.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I prefer 87 from Chevron, but have used 87 from all over with no problems and no knock. Our cars are not high compression so they do not require a high octane fuel. Just keep up on maintenance and everything should be fine.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I prefer 87 from Chevron, but have used 87 from all over with no problems and no knock. Our cars are not high compression so they do not require a high octane fuel. Just keep up on maintenance and everything should be fine.
maintenance, i have 30,000 miles. I have no clue when i should service my car? when i bought my car 3 weeks ago, the guy never said anything about maintenance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts