Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im about to get ready to change my sparks plugs and im wondering if it would be benificial to switch to the OEM SRT8 sparkplugs. I have a spartan cam/ head/ longtubes ect. (you can read my mod list).
Will I get any trouble codes?

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
Is there even a difference between the sparkplugs?

I went with Champion platnums cause they were out of the copper core ones the factory uses.

I asked if they were o.k. and no one answered?

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the srt8 ones are either hotter or cooler than the rt plugs

·
Registered
888 Posts
Should be cooler, if you are running an additional 100hp with your mods it would be doable.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am running about 100 more rwhp than bone stock.
Any more imput?

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
I have the Spartan cam in mine with headers mids etc.. I am using the factory Champion plugs in mine.. Thats what my tuner and installer said to stick with..

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So stick with the RT OEMs?
I was thinking about that from the begining anyway. Just wanted to make sure.
So what is the difference between the two?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I think the biggest differences are the SRT plugs are double platinum which lasts longer AND they run one step colder. I'm not sure if there are any differences in lengths or depth of the plugs themselves.
I would bit up Stu at Inertia OR Mikey at BMC for the best advice with those mods.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the advantages,if any,By making my plugs one step cooler?

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
I've read that if your running NOS you want them a step cooler? but I'm curious on your question here also. As far as the platinum I was told that they will not loose their gap like a regular plug will over time.

What are the advantages,if any,By making my plugs one step cooler?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Platinum plugs don't "lose their gap" becuase they are a harder metal and do not break down as easy as softer metals such as copper.

Here's some info I found -

When you need your engine to run a little cooler, run a colder plug. When you need your engine to run a little hotter, run a hotter spark plug. However, NGK strongly cautions people that going to a hotter spark plug can sometimes mask a serious symptom of another problem that can lead to engine damage. Be very careful with heat ranges. Seek professional guidance if you are unsure.
With modified engines (those engines that have increased their compression) more heat is a by-product of the added power that normally comes with increased compression. In short, select one heat range colder for every 75-100 hp you add, or when you significantly raise compression. Also remember to retard the timing a little and to increase fuel enrichment and octane. These tips are critical when adding forced induction (turbos, superchargers or nitrous kits), and failure to address ALL of these areas will virtually guarantee engine damage.
An engine that has poor oil control can sometimes mask the symptom temporarily by running a slightly hotter spark plug. While this is a "Band-Aid" approach, it is one of the only examples of when and why one would select
a hotter spark plug

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im running around 450hp at the crank. I think I might go with the SRT8 plugs..

But then again I remember STU at Inertia telling me that the RT ones were fine?
Can you get the OEM RT copper champions one step cooler?

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you are changing heat ranges, ask someone who is running your same setup and tested it. When I first started racing I tried several heat ranges and there was a considerable difference in 1/4 mile times. Todays ignition systems cover up a lot of the problems but don't change on a whim and don't expect a big or even noticable difference. Like every thing else people have exagerated claims of the difference made and it is just that, exagerated, people hate to spend money and admit it didn't change anything, go with a change that can be documented. I spent a lot of money learning that. :TU:

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just ended up sticking with the stock copper Champions.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When you running a boosted or a high compression application, you want to use colder spark plugs than stock. Basically you've got a piece of metal sitting in your cylinder that is searingly hot.
Now, if that plug is too hot, then it will pre-ignite the fuel too early, and cause that ever so nasty situation called "Detonation" which is not a good thing

NGK 4306 you can get them at autozone for about 2.50 ea ( make sure they do not order bosch 4306 ..as they will be wrong )

Bill

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
When you running a boosted or a high compression application, you want to use colder spark plugs than stock. Basically you've got a piece of metal sitting in your cylinder that is searingly hot.
Now, if that plug is too hot, then it will pre-ignite the fuel too early, and cause that ever so nasty situation called "Detonation" which is not a good thing

NGK 4306 you can get them at autozone for about 2.50 ea ( make sure they do not order bosch 4306 ..as they will be wrong )

Bill
This man's 25 post are ALL SUBSTANCE!:TU:

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks mangobill, rep

1 - 17 of 17 Posts