Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 599 Posts

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, some of you know i have chosen to tackle this project head on and just bite the bullet. I acquired a 6.1 engine and trans, and i will be swapping it in as soon as financially possible. The purpose of this thread is not to gloat, however it is to prove that it can be done by the average v6 owner, and with some know how on parts, it can be done on a budget. This is for all us V6 owners who have been told to "just trade up for the v8" Please feel free to discuss anything youd like in this thread as it is here for knowledge and for the advancement of our community when it comes to engine swaps. As far as i know on the Z i am the first to attempt(correct me if im wrong) and i will try and document every single detail for those of you that really want to do this. It will be Difficult, it WILL be rough, but it IS possible, dont let anybody change yer mind. Here we go guys, this is for the V6 crowd.
I received this 6.1 Engine and NAG1 transmission for 3,500 dollars. (thats a steal) It comes with everything the engine needs to function and communicate with other crucial parts of the car(hoses, and computers) If you look hard you can find deals similar to this, especially on salvaged cars or donor cars.
A big reason for Swapping the engine over the car is for insurance purposes. Getting all the parts slowly can reduce on overall price paid. I am a student and i work Full time, so this will prove that it can be done. Wish me luck guys! next post is pics!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Sounds like fun! I do remember seeing a thread some where about a guy who took his v6 and put a 7.0l 426 in it but I don't think it was on here. I do believe your the first to do it here! So best of luck and rock on!!

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today will be day one. Those are the initial pics everybody. I hope to be able to succeed at this but i wont be able to without everybodys support here guys! If you have any input PLEASE feel free to post up, I will get back to you same day! If you have any suggestions PLEASE feel free to give them to me. I am looking to you all for some guidance as well! Thanks everybody in advance for being awesome, and i will try my best!:TU:

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like fun! I do remember seeing a thread some where about a guy who took his v6 and put a 7.0l 426 in it but I don't think it was on here. I do believe your the first to do it here! So best of luck and rock on!!
I believe that was flex wheeler! yeah he did that to a 426,,, thats down the line for me :D this is for a straight out engine swap :4-looney:so excited!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hell yeah man.. I would offer my help on the electrical side but we are too far apart lol.. i will deff be checking this each day.. Good Luck with your install..

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol thanks man, I will try to update posts on this daily, electrical HELL YEA, thats what im Most worried about! haha

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Good luck and can't wait to see the updates!!!

Reactions: evbaxter

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I gave you some REPs for the pics brother!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Wow some one with the balls and cash to go through with it. Keep us updated every HOUR ON THE HOUR!

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gave you some REPs for the pics brother!! Good Luck!
Thanks Killa!! Dude, i Really need a Dedicated Digital Camera haha

Wow somone with the balls and cash to go through with it. Keep us updated every HOUR ON THE HOUR!
Thanks Dude, I may have the balls, not so much cash haha.. And any update i have, will be posted on here the second i know of it!! I give you all my word!

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
^^^I give REPs for pics!! It's my rule! :D

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok first update! haha (that was quick)

I came across a used rear end (axles and differential 3.06) and i was wondering if there was any way to verify for me that this will fit my build.

He is selling for 250 bucks local pick up. the car had 25k miles and it was an 06 srt.

This is what the guy gave me for part numbers.

"right axle part # p05037802ac
3.06 part # 1. TXX11318690485
2.P05037799AC
3. 209350491403904863 THEN ON THE SIDE IT SAYS 799AC 3.06"

anybody know if its a great deal for this? how bout fitting my build? anybody know what the stock axles are rated at in horsepower?

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
I'm sure DRP and Speedlogix will chime in tomorrow morning. It should fit but there may be some minor pieces you need to complete the install.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm sure DRP and Speedlogix will chime in tomorrow morning. It should fit but there may be some minor pieces you need to complete the install.
Awesome, yeah, im hoping so, i will need hubs and driveshaft. Also Radiator, and i guess at the minimum rt brakes. We'll see how this pans out!!:D

·
Registered
152 Posts
wow nice job man. i was looking at something like this, i am also a student and also have a full time job, not so long ago i saw a srt 10 engine on ebay for no more then 7 gran, it would be nice if someone put and srt10 engine in a charger i wish i had the money to do that.

1 - 20 of 599 Posts