Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Not Listed

Votes: 15 5.2%
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many brands of oil available for us to buy and this might help members decide on what brand to choose. I have my favorite due to oil analysis reports I have review and what works for my engine.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well I recently got a few more miles per gallon, whether it's the RP is unknown, but very likely. I was a convert from another member at Caliberforumz(prop1), plus I've seen it used on Overhaulin. It's my first change with it, so I cannot make too many claims, but I'm going to stick with it, and use it in all my engines....I even use it in my lamnmower.

Here's a pdf on what made me go with RP, it was posted by Prop1 on Caliberforumz.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil Tests.pdf

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
By convience, i always use Mobil one. I would like to find a oil service that offers Royal purple.

·
Registered
448 Posts
By convience, i always use Mobil one. I would like to find a oil service that offers Royal purple.
You have someone else change your oil? I change my own unless the weather (snow and winter) keeps me from doing it.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Royal Purple is not sold by many auto parts chains and if you do find it is usually 5W30 or 10W40. Its best to order it from an dealer on the Internet providing they provide free shipping. RP although it does carry an API certification it is a SL rating instead of the current SM. We are starting to post oil analysis reports on Caliberforumz and waiting for Prop1 to post his if the post office can find the sample he mailed in. I posted mine with Castrol Syntec and will be having another oa done with the Pennzoil Platinum I have in now. I will be changing it this weekend since I have reach 5000 miles on it. RP is a Group IV synthetic where the majority of the other synthetics are Group III. We get in some good debates on our favorite oils and oil change intervals over there.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I use Castrol. If I were to finally decide to step up to synthetic I would go with Mobil1. Seen it used in pumps for liquid nitrogen here at work. If it will flow at that temp range it should be good for anything!!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
i got penzoil synthetic in the whip now. i want to try royal purple, or w.e dave was yapping about getting.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Yeah Mobil1 myself..... looks like this poll is alittle lopsided!! heard the Royal Purple real good too......

·
Registered
718 Posts
I use mobil 1 for the simple fact that I used it in all my previous cars and never had a day of trouble with the engine. Had my 99 Durango since it was new and put 168,000 miles on it and it still ran like a champ and started no problem. If someone imparts to me a similar personal experience I might consider changing but then again, I might not. For me, personal experience says a lot.
Stubbie68

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not going to tell anybody that Mobil 1 is not a very good oil but it was reformulated around 2004 and its basestocks were changed. It seems that engines are having more traces of wear in oil analysis reports I have read since then. The reports that were submitted by owners with a Hemi engine had higher traces of lead an copper wear with Mobil 1. They are now using Pennzoil Platinum and and the numbers dropped. The owners were doing about 5500 mile oci on the engines if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I am not going to tell anybody that Mobil 1 is not a very good oil but it was reformulated around 2004 and its basestocks were changed. It seems that engines are having more traces of wear in oil analysis reports I have read since then. The reports that were submitted by owners with a Hemi engine had higher traces of lead an copper wear with Mobil 1. They are now using Pennzoil Platinum and and the numbers dropped. The owners were doing about 5500 mile oci on the engines if I remember correctly.
That was the reason I switched to Royal purple, it's a true synthetic.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do not know why RP does not try have their products more available to the general public since they are one of the three Group IV/V oils made today. The increase sales they would see by doing this seems to make since.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I do not know why RP does not try have their products more available to the general public since they are one of the three Group IV/V oils made today. The increase sales they would see by doing this seems to make since.
I can find it in several locations by me, unfortunately not in any places like walmart or target, but in Pep-Boys and a few other auto stores. In the end I got it off the interent, free shipping and tax included.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Let me tell a short Story here, I have ran Mobil 1 sense 1990's and had been running it in a rebuilt 350hp 350 in my 76 3/4 ton Chevy truck. I had about 100,000 miles on it when one summer day i noticed that the valves were pinging a little, i thought that I had picked up some bad gas so I kept driving. Well hour's later I was driving in traffic in 110 degree California weather and noticed that my temp gage was in the red, so I pulled over real fast opened the hood, the fan belt was off. I had been driving for 6 plus hour's in the heat, my oil pressure was always above 40 psi and the engine never showed any sign's of problems except the pinging. I went on to put 250,000 mile on this 350 before I rebuilt it for the 3rd time. It was still running but the power was less then what I need out of a work truck. Can anybody tell me that they have had this kind of experience with any other Syn oil. This is no bull Sh#@.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts