Votes: 15 5.2%
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Mobil has a website that has a real comparison against Amsoil that is more realistic. I think there is bad blood between them. It all boils down to what works best for your application how you drive and where you live. I've had excellent service from Mobil 1. I have a story that would make you never ever make you want to ever change from Mobil 1 that no other synthetic oil probably could claim. Or at least I think so. I really don't have much stock in all of this oil analysis anyway I just know what I've had great service from for 20 yrs.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I really don't have much stock in all of this oil analysis anyway I just know what I've had great service from for 20 yrs.
Oil analysis does serve a purpose for people who want to keep running the same oil for an extended time. The same oil does not behave the same way in different engines. If you are going to do 3k to 6k miles oci any synthetic oil whether its a Group III, IV, or V will do a fine job in your engine. Use what your happy with. You can save the $35.00 cost of an oil analysis and spend it on this forum or a nice steak diner.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Oil analysis does serve a purpose for people who want to keep running the same oil for an extended time. The same oil does not behave the same way in different engines. If you are going to do 3k to 6k miles oci any synthetic oil whether its a Group III, IV, or V will do a fine job in your engine. Use what your happy with. You can save the $35.00 cost of an oil analysis and spend it on this forum or a nice steak diner.
I hear what you are saying, But if someone is really worried about how there oil is doing and there spending the 35 bucks every 3k to have it analyzed for another 20 bucks you can change it and have fresh oil and filter. I know that even with the extended run oils Amsoil, RP, and even Mobil 1 you can run 15 to 18k before you change the oil but you still have to change the filter per the manufacture recommendation. The filter will hold only so much particals before it fails. And different filters have a different size of particals that it will trap 5,10,15 microns. I agree, if someone find's an brand of oil and filter that someone has had good luck with stay with it. Oh and I like steak big thick porter house mmmm good.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oil Filters - which one do you guys use?

I use to use Castrol synthetic and one of the fram more expensive filters on my truck but you guys all use mobil 1, so im going to switch over to it but need a filter to go with it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I use the Mopar filter on my Charger and Fram XG series on my Ram. I'm going to check out the Mobil 1 filter.
I understand that the K&N, and the Mobil 1 filter are about the same. The only difference is the built in nut on the K&N. I'd go with the one you could find cheaper, as either one is inexpensive. I got the K&N filter from here relatively cheap....... http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/stores...9&session_id=f2b8c6573d938e9f0ebe309263d73d42

Looks like the HP-2004 fits all charger models except the 6.1, either that or it's just not listed correctly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a head's up, my local WalMart (Monroe, Orange County NY) just started stocking Royal Purple - for under $7 quart! Don't know if it's a "test" or a chain-wide new product rollout, but it is what it is. Only problem... they didn't have any 5-20 stocked. (*SHRUG*) Next comment: I picked up my 2008 Charger RT last month - used - with 5,000 miles. I've been running my vehicles on synthetic oil since... well... pretty much since syn entered the commercial market in a big way. I used to use Mobil One, but for whatever reason my wife's '05 Pontiac Grand Prix goes through a quart or so every 1,000-1,500 miles and while it may not be the oil itself... it also may be. (*SHRUG*) Anyway, with the "new" Charger I figured I'd try something different. A buddy of mine who used to be an instructer at APEX auto mechanics school and who's now an IT guy for a Hedge Fund (go figure - my buddy is one of those "I can do anything guys") recommended that I use either Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Syntech. Well, now that Castrol Edge is out I figured the choice was between the PP or the CE, and at $22 for a five quarter of the PP vs. $34 for a five quarter of the CE... I figured I'd try the PP. Well, as I said, I purchased the Charger with 5,000 miles on it, the dealer SUPPOSEDLY performed an oil change prior to turning the vehicle, visual inspection showed clear/clean oil, so I waited till I hit 7,900 miles before doing my first (synthetic) oil change. Used the PP with a K&N oil filter. The difference was clear and immediate! The car runs smoother, quieter, and has more power. Anyway... that's my two cents worth. BTW, this is my first "real" post to the forum. (*WINK*)

·
Registered
782 Posts
im kinda curious to why no one uses valvoline synthetic?? My car now has about 6k miles on it and at 3k i put it in and I just got it again yesterday.. to me it runs really smooth and seems really great! the car seems to be more alive lol.. Is there any reason why non of you guys use it??

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Royal Purple here!!!!

G

·
By convience, i always use Mobil one. I would like to find a oil service that offers Royal purple.
The local Chrysler/Jeep dealer here sells RP and recommends it over M1 (which I used to use). I still use the M1 filter 'cause it's the best they have. I buy the RP from them by the case and take it to them for the oil change.

I know, I know, I should change my own oil. Well, I used to but it's getting harder and harder to get down on the floor and back up again. You'll see... I do wash RumBee by hand though. :TU:

·
Registered
892 Posts
At the moment, Mobil 1 only until I see a well-known better product. I read somewhere you should not run the RP 3000 miles between fluid changes, it's not designed for it. I dunno...

41 - 60 of 88 Posts