Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my scat pack for over a month now, been seeing a lot of videos with these installed....is it a must that I purchase and install one??

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've had my scat pack for over a month now, been seeing a lot of videos with these installed....is it a must that I purchase and install one??
I personally think it's a must-do-mod, especially with these Hemi's! If you like to have oil and other contaminants cycle back into your intake, then skip this mod....

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Are they CA CARB legit?
Don't know, but I would give BT (Billet Technologies) a call and ask as they are the popular choice of enthusiasts...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I did not have one on my R/T. But I do have one on my 392. After checking it a few times, I wish I had gotten it for my R/T.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
catch_can_00.jpg

catch_can_02web.jpg

·
Registered
278 Posts
IMHO, a catch can isn't needed on our cars. The purpose of a CC in general is prevent oil from getting on the back side of the intake valve which creates a buildup of carbon. This is generally only a problem with cars that have direct injection, not with cars that have port injection. Why? Because the fuel sprays into the intake stream on port injected engines which basically continually rinses off the intake valve. Direct injection engines have their fuel injectors inside the combustion chamber, so there is no fuel rinsing the intake valve. My previous car was a Focus ST, which had direct injection. There was a large percentage of our club members adding catch cans. However, for our cars they are not needed. For port injected engines the excess oil does nothing but get consumed in the combustion process and go out the tail pipe. There is no down side to not adding one.

·
Registered
278 Posts
These engines as well as the LS1’s etc all will cycle oil back to be re burned as it’s not during the combustion cycles. If you don’t have a catch can wait awhile and you take off your intake and you will literally be able to wipe oil off the inside of it.
I'm not too worried about oil in my intake. Why does everyone freak out about this? Oil in the intake is no different than gasoline in the intake. It gets sucked into the combustion chamber and burns off. Everyone acts like this has not been a common thing in all cars built since 1984 when fuel injection got commonplace. It's not even enough to foul the plugs. For example; I had a Honda Element for 10 years and changed the oil every 10k miles and didn't even look at the spark plugs til 120k miles. They were practically spotless. Why? Because the oil that gets sucked into your intake burns off harmlessly and isn't even sufficient enough to foul the plugs. In fact, my 5.7L basically burns no measurable amount of oil between changes. So, yeah, if I put a catch can on it it might catch 1.4 cup of oil between changes. Who cares?

·
Registered
7 Posts
You don’t want excess of oil to build up in the intake, and then go to the valves and gum those up. The PCV systems aren’t the best which is why the catch can is there. It’s better for the engine. A Honda Element is different than a engine that creates more crankcase pressure like a performance car or truck. The issue is the oil doesn’t all burn off when it gets re circulated to burn off on its next cycle. It just starts to build up on itself. With my 2000 Camaro, my 01 Z06, my silverado SS, and even my old school 406 abc and 496 BBC i have always used a catch can. If they were pointless they wouldn’t collect anything. That’s just me and the others here who agree.
There is a purpose behind them and why they are used.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You don’t want excess of oil to build up in the intake, and then go to the valves and gum those up. The PCV systems aren’t the best which is why the catch can is there. It’s better for the engine. A Honda Element is different than a engine that creates more crankcase pressure like a performance car or truck. The issue is the oil doesn’t all burn off when it gets re circulated to burn off on its next cycle. It just starts to build up on itself. With my 2000 Camaro, my 01 Z06, my silverado SS, and even my old school 406 abc and 496 BBC i have always used a catch can. If they were pointless they wouldn’t collect anything. That’s just me and the others here who agree.
There is a purpose behind them and why they are used.
This discussion is pointless, so I will go away now.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I see what James is saying, but I still bought a catch can (to be installed soon). It's a $100 mod that in theory may prevent a much bigger issue later. I don't necessarily think it's a MUST-have, but for me, the risk/ reward made it worth the small investment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts