1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
HELL NO! Secondly.............DO WE REALLY NEED A CATCH CAN? "IF" they were needed for warranty, longevity, etc., the factory would have installed one.

·
Registered
887 Posts
HELL NO! Secondly.............DO WE REALLY NEED A CATCH CAN? "IF" they were needed for warranty, longevity, etc., the factory would have installed one.
Technically it does. Where the PCV valve is a sorta CC in itself.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
A while back on the LX forum when they had the SRT Engineers chat sessions, the engineers said it was not required. IMO if you get the oil temp up to 200-210 all that crap burns off. Thick oil is not captured in the catch can. It is water vapor mixed with small amounts of oil. Keep your PCV valve clean and you should be good to go.

Reactions: CharlieJ

·
Registered
3,358 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
16 Posts
I like the idea of a catch can but stay away from the "universal" types on amazon or ebay. I bought one on ebay for $100. First off the universal ones are hard to mount, and you have to fabricate a mount and it just looks Janky when you pop the hood. Also, the one I bought had a set screw at the bottom of the can which caused it to leak oil all over my engine. It took me forever to clean all of the spilt oil, and the oil still pools at the bottom engine and every time I go to the dealer, they try to tell me I need a new pan gasket. When possible, go to a Mopar or muscle car centric website and buy one meant for your car. also see if there is a picture of the bottom of the can and make sure there isn't a loose set screw at the bottom. I have no Idea why they would put one there, when the can separates and you can unscrew it

·
Registered
887 Posts
Catch can is and will always be snake oil.
Kinda untrue.

Are the required or even needed? No. Not at all. No documented proof it changes the course of an engines life.

Do they atleast work and make the owner feel better about the function. Yes. Snake Oil would be stuff claiming to rebuild metal, prevent lifter failures, and being magical fluid to save the world.

Reactions: Harry Hemi

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Kinda untrue.

Are the required or even needed? No. Not at all. No documented proof it changes the course of an engines life.

Do they atleast work and make the owner feel better about the function. Yes. Snake Oil would be stuff claiming to rebuild metal, prevent lifter failures, and being magical fluid to save the world.
Good point, they arent snake oil, but we can call them Placebos. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Good point, they arent snake oil, but we can call them Placebos. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Yep. And to that point there are many things in life we could live without but it makes us feel better. Like Moose Tracks Ice Cream. I'll take it anyday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts