Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In changing the oil on my 2018 Charger Scat Pack 6.4L, after refilling with 7 quarts (specified crankcase capacity), my dipstick seems to show over-full. I say "seems" because the dipstick is very hard to read ... the "safe zone" is practically invisible. But when I checked before oil change, the factory fill was in the "safe zone." My concern and question here is: did I completely drain the crankcase of old oil? I ask this because, when draining the old oil, I had the car elevated with the front wheels on ramps 8" off the floor so that I could get underneath from the front. With that angle of elevation is it possible that not all of the engine/crankcase oil drained? I would think that this much angle would be OK by design, but not sure? Your thoughts, please.

If necessary I can pump out some oil thru the dipstick using a pump that I have for a boat (which has no access underneath the crankcase)

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,571 Posts
If you can pump out a half quart you should be ok.

·
Registered
946 Posts
You're probably going to find differences of opinion on this issue, but I've seen enough variation with dipstick accuracy that I don't trust them until I've "calibrated" them.

I'll change the oil, drain it until every drop is out, refill it with the correct capaciity and a new filter, run it, shut it down, let it cool and then mark or notch the dipstick. Then I know the real "full" mark.

·
Registered
421 Posts
As said, dipsticks are kinda odd.

Mine shows Dead on Full right at 8 qts. I know it says 7 but I still put 8 in. Never lose any oil through life either even though Catch Can gets some.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
my dipstick seems to show over-full
Higher than the Full mark by how much? A little over the Full mark is not a problem. When you check the oil level can make a difference.
From the Owner Manual: "the best time to check the engine oil level is about five minutes after a fully warmed engine is shut off. Checking the oil while the vehicle is on level ground will improve the accuracy of the oil level readings"

When I get my oil changed they put in the specified 7 qts. When I check the level at home it's always a little below Full. It takes about 1/3 of a quart more to bring the level to the Full mark. My engine has higher oil pressure and the lifters are quiet (no Hemi tick) after I add the additional oil.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
When my 2013 5.7 stick broke off I got a new one from a dealership that read low after a fresh oil change. Amazon reviews on the MOPAR dipstick reflect the same. I did a side by side comparison seeing the difference.
You may have one from that lot. I just put the new ring on my old stick. It's dead on reading top of the safe zone after a change.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I've done my Scat twice now, and saw the same thing that 7 is way too much. I dumped all of it, and only put in 6 quarts. I put a few more ounces in to get to the top. After prefilling the filter, I have "maybe" 6.4 (no pun intended) quarts in.

·
Registered
2017 Charger R/T Blacktop
3,571 Posts
I've done my Scat twice now, and saw the same thing that 7 is way too much. I dumped all of it, and only put in 6 quarts. I put a few more ounces in to get to the top. After prefilling the filter, I have "maybe" 6.4 (no pun intended) quarts in.
Same with my 6.4 Challenger 6.5 quarts. The Charger 5.7 takes 7, same with the 5.7 Challenger I used to own.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'll add this....
If your dip stick ring pull starts getting harder to pull out of the tube, usually when warm, beware its the beginning of it getting stuck and breaking off lever with the tube. I had to get a small sheet metal screw and get it hot enough to melt into the stub, let it cool, then heat the tube a little and pull it out.
The plastic perhaps after years of heat cycles starts to sewll, hell I don't know but I'm not alone. Google it, many ticked off folks.

The as stated earlier I find complaints of new MOPAR sticks with updated p/n replacing the "E" with an "F" stamped lower on the stick showing over filled with 7qts and I got one. I just put the new ring on my old stick.

Manual says 7qts, original stick with 7qts tops off at the top hole.

Reactions: djalbin

·
Registered
15 Posts
In changing the oil on my 2018 Charger Scat Pack 6.4L, after refilling with 7 quarts (specified crankcase capacity), my dipstick seems to show over-full. I say "seems" because the dipstick is very hard to read ... the "safe zone" is practically invisible. But when I checked before oil change, the factory fill was in the "safe zone." My concern and question here is: did I completely drain the crankcase of old oil? I ask this because, when draining the old oil, I had the car elevated with the front wheels on ramps 8" off the floor so that I could get underneath from the front. With that angle of elevation is it possible that not all of the engine/crankcase oil drained? I would think that this much angle would be OK by design, but not sure? Your thoughts, please.

If necessary I can pump out some oil thru the dipstick using a pump that I have for a boat (which has no access underneath the crankcase)

Thanks
Hello,
Just read your post and noticed your 6.4 was the same fill requirements as my 5.7. For years I filled my engine with 5qts of oil and 1 of Lucas Oil additive and the crazy thing is at 191k it threw a rod causing me to replace the engine. I would very stormgly suggest that you keep it at 7qts and do not use any additive as the dealership warned me against that with the new engine. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hellcat calls for 7. Reads over full with 7 after draining overnight. I now put 6 in and top it up. Usually less than 1/2 qt.
46736459-D5E4-41C9-9873-D6F4A0AEBB7A.jpeg

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have a 2012 charger 5.7 hemi has high mileage, what is the best oil I can put in it?
Cool. The only thing better than an oil-quality thread is a hijacked oil-quality thread!

If you go with any PAO-based 5w-20 oil, you'll have an edge in terms of overall quality. You could consider 0w-20 oils as well, they tend to have somewhat better base stocks.

You might be tempted to go with a "high-mileage" formulation. Typically, they have much more zinc, which is an effective anti-wear additive. But I'd Google "high mileage oil zinc pros cons", without the quotes, and research that topic a bit before you make that decision.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts