Dodge Charger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after driving this beast for 10k+ miles, I now have an electrical issue in that my oil pressure sensor went out. I knew when I went out to my car and my check engine light came on and noticed my oil pressure reading maxed out at 99psi. No troubling sounds at all coming from my engine to indicate there's an actual mechanical problem, but I HAVE noticed that:

- When I get on the gas(as in really get on it to take off) the car now doesn't want to accelerate at the rate it used to

- My gas mileage has plummeted all of a sudden.

Is this the result of the OPS failing and the car is just in limp mode? Having taken it to autozone, their code readers only come up that my OPS is to blame.

Anyone had to get theirs replaced via shop? How much was it? Ive read its between $145-$155 but it looks kind of labor intensive to get to the sensor.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The (2013 5.7L) service manual says remove the generator to get to it! Really?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: It would seem that after resetting my avg mpg, that the gas mileage has been normal now. CEL is still on and I've just been driving with it that way. Aside from the car not wanting to giddy-up like it used to and the CEL still being on and my OP gauge stuck at 99, all is well thus far.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What motor do you have? If it's a '12 SE then it should be the pentastar. I had the OPS go out on my van with the pentastar after maybe 15k miles, it was stuck on 99. I could have done it myself, but the dealer replaced under warranty so not sure what they would charge. You have to take off the upper and lower intake manifolds to get to it, so it's a little labor intensive.
That issue would have no bearing on MPG or acceleration issues, it would just throw a CEL.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What motor do you have? If it's a '12 SE then it should be the pentastar. I had the OPS go out on my van with the pentastar after maybe 15k miles, it was stuck on 99. I could have done it myself, but the dealer replaced under warranty so not sure what they would charge. You have to take off the upper and lower intake manifolds to get to it, so it's a little labor intensive.
That issue would have no bearing on MPG or acceleration issues, it would just throw a CEL.
Ahh, then maybe the sacrificed mileage at first was all in my head xD Having driven a 01 jeep liberty with a mountain of repairs for the past 4 years, I hit a mini panic button if even the most insignificant thing goes wrong.

And yeah I found a YT vid showing the whole process. No wonder most shops I've called charge over $300 for it. Also yes, it's the 12 SE.

EDIT: So the CEL doesn't send the car into limp at all? I can't help notice my performance, when I step on it, has drastically decreased where it wants to be sluggish, and it's only started happening since the CEL popped on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
A CEL for a bad OPS won't throw the car into limp mode, I drove around with a bad OPS for quite some time and
it ran fine.
Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but I think only trans issues will do that.
That actually happened to my van, it had a bad trans fluid pump and it went into limp mode.
I think you have another issue, how many miles on the car?
Needs plugs maybe or the TB cleaned?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A CEL for a bad OPS won't throw the car into limp mode, I drove around with a bad OPS for quite some time and
it ran fine.
Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but I think only trans issues will do that.
That actually happened to my van, it had a bad trans fluid pump and it went into limp mode.
I think you have another issue, how many miles on the car?
Needs plugs maybe or the TB cleaned?

106,900 roughly. I was thinking plugs, but I'm not sure. I bought the car in march with 95.5k miles on it. Carfax on it was decent but who knows if the previous owner did plugs or not. Would a check at Autozone read a code for plugs? Because all it read was the OPS.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so I feel totally dumb. Turns out nothing is wrong with my acceleration, the floormats that came with the car are starting to bend upward and the one on my driver side is getting in the way of the the accelerator peddle. Not the first time it's happened either.

·
Registered
189 Posts
LOL I have had that happen to me too.
You are do for plugs (100k) so i would do them when the OPS is done because the upper intake has to come off to change them out anyway.
There is no specific code for plugs. If you had a misfire in a cylinder that would throw a code, but it could be a plug,coil, or even something mechanical.
You can do the sensor & plugs yourself for roughly $150, its really not that hard. I imagine a shop will charge $400-$500.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has a 2012 charger se with the v6 in it and we went to dinner tonight and came out started the car and the check engine light came on and when you accelerate the oil pressure hit 99 and when it idles the pressure is around 55. Any ideas what could make it do this? Has around 150,000 miles on it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts