Dodge Charger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Charger R/T w/ road & track trim upgrade. My question is and not finding it anywhere about camshafts for these Chargers or any 5.7L for that matter. Like the Ford Mustangs who have a very cool old school cam grid (aftermarket) for their DOHC on the 4.6L, is their something out there for us Mopar guys with the 5.7L. I really like the lumpty T Lump of the old school sound. Any thoughts???:TU:

·
12,921 Posts
There are several vendors on this site that sell cams and heads for 2011+ cars. I don't think you'll ever get that old school "lope" with the modern VVT engine. As far as I know, the video posted above by pocket5s is as close as you're going to get. Also, I believe that Comp 274 cam is pretty radical for a car without extensive modifications, but I'm definitely not an expert.

I've been looking for a cam package similar to what tacamo01 just did. http://chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=160771&highlight=daytona

My biggest problem so far, is trying to find an installer I can trust.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yea it certainly isn't to sound like this one for example :TU:

Truck Idling - YouTube

That is my pickup with a comp cams 274HE, but the specs are different than the one for the hemi. My truck has 236/236 duration at .050. The hemi phaser has 226/234, so it doesn't have quite the lope to it, but it far more lift (over 600 compared to my 490). Here are the specs on the hemi cam:

http://www.highhorseperformance.com/Comp_Cams_Hemi_Phaser_274_Camshaft_for_VVT_5_7L_p/201-428-17.htm

Having said that... I grew up around old school street machines (mostly chevelles and such) and they don't lope quite as much as people think or remember. Yes they sound good, but no stock big block from the 60's sounds like my truck for example. Granted it doesn't take much to get them to, but stock, not so much.

When it comes to pure sexy sound, the mustang guys win hands down, no contest. As much as I like their sound I still wouldn't own one :D

That comp phaser cam is on my short list of engine mods. I like its sound and it makes good power. Here is that cam in a challenger

Dyno Testing Comp Cams Hemi Phaser 274 Camshaft for VVT 5.7L & 6.4L HEMI Engines: Challenger - YouTube

·
Registered
6,684 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
I also have a 2013 Hemi and I am familiar with the VVT system and Comp Cams Mother Thumper II as I had installed this cam in my 2008 Mustang. Now the Mustang was a VVT engine but it did not have the MDS or ECO mode in it. Installing a radical cam from Comp Cams meant you had to eliminate the VVT system by installing their phase limiter when you installed the cams. Now... when I had the cams installed, I also installed a set of Kooks Long Tube Headers and High Flow Cats... the sound was definitely rumpity rump.. but since the car was a stick shift it became more temperamental to drive. In order to have the rumpity rump sound you had to keep the rpm's up at least above 1500 RPM or the car would buck like crazy. Also.. it required several trips to the custom tuner to have a problem with throwing a check engine light. Comp Cams was no help to resolving any issues with their cam. Now maybe with a high stall torque converter you could live with the wild cams tempraments... My thoughts are that if you like your warranty you should enjoy the car until it is well along mileage wise and then if you are ready to handle every thing money wise that comes with creating the next Frankenstein's Monster, go for it and modify away. Me.. I will be a bit more conservative with my R/T.. You just can not do enough homework and investigation before doing major engine mods like cams and heads. As one mechanic told me when I was modifying my Mustang... you are creating a very special vehicle which will be difficult to trouble shoot as well as you will not get your money back when you go to sell it. He recommended saving my money and buying a car from the Factory with a warranty that had what I wanted... Did I listen to him.. NO I DID NOT and I did the mods. In hind sight do I wish I had listened to him... YES I DO... LOL. Which is why I would probably save for a SRT or a Super Charged Charger when available rather than sinking a lot of money into my car. Good luck with whatever you do... just make sure you know what you are getting into before you do it.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Man I remember when I first got my Charger I wanted the car to sound like the Ol' Skool version, but realized my tiny V6 wasn't able. But, I know the sound that you're looking for and it sounds amazing. Check out this Charger right here bro!!!

[url]http://youtu.be/yA0WOesONRk[/URL]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts